American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Historic Highways Of America

RoadDog

I came across a 16 vol. set of these offered on eBay with starting bid at $49.95. Sounds interesting. The books were published between 1902 and 1905 by Archer Butler Hulburt and covered Indian roads, Braddoock's and Forbes' roads, Boone's Wilderness Road, portages, military roads, the Cumberland Road, proneer roads and canals.

Of special interest would be the last book titled "The Future of Road-Making in America" especially considering the 1905 date.

Does anyone know anything about this set?

Thank you for sharing. I did a quick search and requested a copy of the "Future of roads" edition from one of my local state universities that loan out to local libraries. Book sounds like it may be interesting. I briefly looked and found this site regarding the author Archer Hulbert:

http://www.coloradocollege.edu/library/specialcollections/Manuscript/ABHulbertPapers.html

that includes this description:

"Hulbert's writings concentrated on canals, rivers, roads, trails, forts, the life of George Washington, and the westward movement. During his later years his attention centered on the publication of documentary materials related to the westward movement such as the letters of Narcissa Whitman. Thus, the collection contains not only the manuscripts of published works in these subject areas, but numerous typescripts and photocopies of documents which he planned to publish. Postal cards, lantern slides, maps, and photographs are also illustrative of these subject areas."

He seems to have written quite an array of books on the above.

Jason

Thanks Steve, I totally forgot about looking for any electronic versions available, I'm still stuck in "analog" mode. :rolleyes:

Call me an old Fogie... But, for reading, I still prefer a book. That said, the electronic versions make topic search So-o-o much easier. :)

~ Steve

I agree, a book gets you "in the moment" more. I would have never known 90% of the books out there without the electronic resource. Need to start a book thread.

Call me an old Fogie... But, for reading, I still prefer a book. That said, the electronic versions make topic search So-o-o much easier. :)

~ Steve