American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

U.s. Route 6 Gallery Of Art

Russ L.

U.S. Route 6 Gallery of Art

I invite you to participate in this new format by submitting pictures and stories about art located along the Grand Old Highway. There are many forms of art ranging from classic and vintage road signs to business signs, and the structural design of historic buildings.

When traveling U.S. 6 I came across many unusual works of art, some in city parks. An example would be the statue in the middle of the Town of Fruita, Colorado. There is a bronze statue dedicated to "Mike the headless chicken." Yes, Mike does have his own web site. (A true story!)

There is also the art that addresses our American Heritage in the form of dress, music, food and culture. My personal opinion, "food" is an art form! However, at some point we should start a new topic that addresses speciality and/or ethnic foods. Another would be classic diners along the historic highway. If there is a connoisseur out there, we would like to hear from you.

Lets not forget Native American art. There is some great stone art located just north of the "6" near the community of Thompson, Utah.

Time to get out your camera and take some pictures. Be sure to ID your pictures with locations and dates.

Look forward to the new entries.

Russ L.

PS: When driving down the road, be sure to look for some of those artistic rural mail boxes!

• 1 year later...

I invite you to participate in this new format by submitting pictures and stories about art located along the Grand Old Highway. There are many forms of art ranging from classic and vintage road signs to business signs, and the structural design of historic buildings.

When traveling U.S. 6 I came across many unusual works of art, some in city parks. An example would be the statue in the middle of the Town of Fruita, Colorado. There is a bronze statue dedicated to "Mike the headless chicken." Yes, Mike does have his own web site. (A true story!)

There is also the art that addresses our American Heritage in the form of dress, music, food and culture. My personal opinion, "food" is an art form! However, at some point we should start a new topic that addresses speciality and/or ethnic foods. Another would be classic diners along the historic highway. If there is a connoisseur out there, we would like to hear from you.

Lets not forget Native American art. There is some great stone art located just north of the "6" near the community of Thompson, Utah.

Time to get out your camera and take some pictures. Be sure to ID your pictures with locations and dates.

Russ L.

PS: When driving down the road, be sure to look for some of those artistic rural mail boxes!

I'm going to drive there - for the first time as I'm from Europe- next months. Sitting over the maps and all, It can be nice to look for art along the way. I really love traveling and love maps, going on a long road trip in the USA for few months soon so I hope it would be as great as I think.

---

Visit My blog

I'm going to drive there - for the first time as I'm from Europe- next months. Sitting over the maps and all, It can be nice to look for art along the way. I really love traveling and love maps, going on a long road trip in the USA for few months soon so I hope it would be as great as I think.

Do you have your route all planned? Maybe you could start a topic with your plans and, if you have any, questions. Be sure to tell us about the trip once you get underway.

Russ L.

Well now, what with me being part of trhe Route 6 Tourist Association, it would behoove me to post a little something in the vein of what you are talkin bout, Russ....

I give you Castle Hall, in Walcott, Iowa, and a mural by Carl Homstad in Newton, Iowa.

First up, the castle... One of the more interesting sights in Walcott is "Castle Hall" Built in 1905, the designer intended to replicate the Balmoral Castle, an old Norman stronghold in Scotland. When first built, the metal panels that cover the framework were gray.

Beneath the tower is a basement dungeon that was once the subject of much speculation. Originally the home and business of Doctor Henry Schumacher, his residence was on the second floor, while the pharmacy was on the main floor. Quite the eccentric, Dr. Schumacher kept a pair of plaster of Paris skeletons in the basement dungeon, painted with phosphorescent paint to awe his visitors. After the doctor passed away in 1934, the first floor was used as a "beer parlor."

Next up is the amazing Carl Homstad mural "Welcome to Newton"

Carl painted this previously light blue building wall to look like a group of buildings. Most of the doors and windows were painted on as well. To see more, go to http://www.carlart.com

post-4311-1208824339_thumb.jpg

post-4311-1208833020_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby