American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Last week
  2. I do appreciate that AR maintains the Forum. Many Kudos. But like you note, most people prefer other means to share, like Facebook....which is great. I have been using it for longer than many users have been alive. The media defines the content. Pony Express, telegraph, and post cards defined how much, what, and how often we shared travel insights. Take the telegram for example. "Stage robbed, cousin John shot, wish you were here. STOP.." Its like a Facebook post without the selfie. A friend who loves the French was in France when Notre Dame burned. I looked at her Facebook, and friends shared such insights as "Disastrous," "Devastated, thought of you" "So Sad," "A real loss," and the like. I added "Bad news." You can't say that it didn't capture in real time the pain and the despair she was feeling on the trip. Someone posted "Get well," but I think it was intended for someone else. My daughter and her husband went to Disneyland recently. Again her friends contributed. "Looks like fun," "Did you meet Mickey?" "How long were the lines?" Lots of good travel news like that. And bless my daughter, she posted stuff like "Great room," "Lost a suitcase," and "Headed home Monday." It was like being there. So you see, forums and Facebook each have a place. Can you even imagine this piece on Facebook.....and why would you? Dave Keep the Show on the Road
  3. Thanks Dave, I sincerely appreciate the kind words. I have had a couple of photos in issues of American Road in the past, usually in the letters section. However, if the editors decide to heed your advice I'm not that hard to find. I am grateful that the good folks at American Road magazine keep this forum up and running. In a world where everyone has moved to Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat or other social media it's nice to have this refuge where you can actually converse about a topic with others that have a similar interest in a respectful manner and not worry about some troll hijacking it. I have gained so much knowledge over the years from contributors like yourself that are willing to share what they know and actually seem to enjoy helping to research the things that they don't. Rick
  4. Rick, I am blown away. I followed the first link under the photo which led me to some of your recent work. I hope the folks at American Road notice your road images. You should be a regular featured contributor. Your images capture the feeling of the America Road in a way that draws me back for more. American Road is a great provider of road related images. I wish they would ask you to do a two page spread every issue, a centerfold of American road beauty. Becky has told me many times that the Forum is a source of inspiration and content. Becky, this is the proof. I have followed your work over the past several years here and you clearly have mastered the art. You have graduated from excellent to masterly. I don't know anyone else who is producing your quality content and evocative, creative presentation. And I appreciate the accompanying stories. Dave Keep the Show on the Road
  5. The Service Bay Need emergency repairs while on that road trip? Broken fan belt? Leaking radiator? Replace a tire? Those services where once available at most gas stations along your route. The service bay was where the work would take place and if it required the mechanic to get to the vehicles underside then there was the hydraulic lift in the center of the shop to raise the vehicle. Today, a stop for fuel requires you to pump your own gas and emergency repairs, well, good luck with that. The service bay pictured below was once part of a Sinclair station in James Town, Wyoming. Roadhound http://rick-pisio.pixels.com http://www.rwphotos.com
  6. Keep the Show on the Road!

Mystery Coupe in Echo Canyon

MGA707, Gees, I feel like I am sitting at the foot of the master!! All my knowledge comes from memory, and that ain't good! My recollections of those days are as a school kid. I didn't "hit the road" until I had a 1948 straight eight Pontiac in the 50s. I used to drag race it on 1st Street in San Jose. I was the king of the one block race. Ford V8's would take me in two blocks, but the signals were timed so if you went faster than the speed limit, you always hit a red signal at the next intersection. The Pontiac had enough torque and low gear to pull tree stumps, so it was always ahead in one block. The good old days.....:) Dave Keep the Show on the Road.
  7. roadhound

Dave, Glad you are enjoying my attempt at putting words to a picture. Maybe next time I will tell you the story of how I met a gentlemen named Piggy Malone standing beside the railroad tracks not too far east of where the photo of Elmer and Mable's Plymouth was taken. I thought of going the Bonnie and Clyde route with it but then I would have to come up with the whole backstory for Big Nose Mable and explain how she could go from zero to sixty in less than a minute. Your muscle cars and mine were a bit different. My era had 289's, 302's & 454's although by the time I got my license the first gas crisis had already hit and I couldn't afford the gas for any of them. I am a bit confused on the deuce and a quarter, wouldn't that be 225hp? Rick
  8. Keep the Show on the Road!

Rick, That's a gem! If you keep telling that story before you know it, Elmer and his girl, Big Nose Mable, will become legend along with his bright yellow 1946 Plymouth 2 door deluxe sedan with the bored and stroked 6. Of course I knew the '46 Plymouth as a kid, and if there ever was a muscle car, that was it. Zero to sixty in under a minute, and a true 70 mph on a long enough measured course with a tail wind, like maybe the Bonneville Salt Flats. We had names for those cars in my day. My Buick convertible was a "deuce and a quarter" because it had a 250 hp engine under the hood. The '46 was called "Buck with a nickle change" I suppose because it had a blazing 95 horse power six to move its 3200 pounds. Well, you have captured one of the old west's great events, in word and photos. Will there be a music video? Dave Keep the Show on the Road!
  9. roadhound

I think the old timers name was Ezekiel or Jebediah or something like that. His burro was hitched to the post outside.
  10. Keep the Show on the Road!

Rick, That is amazing!! To think that you were in that bar to hear that story, and that the fellow telling it remembered Elmer was driving a 1946 Plymouth 2 Door Deluxe Sedan. Unbelievable! And the ghost to boot. That's a story almost too good to be true! Did you get the old timer's name? Dave PS I love the B&W.
  11. Earlier
  12. roadhound

Outstanding! I thought it was a Plymouth or a Dodge but the only good view I could find was of a Dodge and the forward rake of the doorpost didn't look right. Now that we know what it is we have to figure out how it got there. I heard a story told by an old timer sitting in the corner of the bar in Ogden that may answer that very question. The Legend of Elmer Lockwood He grew up on a farm in Oklahoma during the depression, the 6th of seven children. He served his country during the second world war but wasn't a good soldier. His Army buddies call him "Screwball." He set the record for hours of KP duty in his division. When he got back he was unable to hold a job and suffered today from what we would call PTSD. It was raining hard on the day before Christmas Eve in 1949 when he got in his '46 Plymouth 2 door Deluxe Sedan and headed up Weber Canyon to the small town of Morgan to rob a bank. During his escape he lost his bearings and got turned around in the hard blowing snow . Instead of heading west to the flat, open, land surrounding the Great Salt Lake he headed east, further into Weber Canyon. That limited him to 2 options; head south on the old Lincoln Highway towards Coalville and back towards the Great Salt Lake or head east, towards Evanston and wide open Wyoming. He figured they would be waiting for him in Coalville and hoped that the Wyoming State Troopers hadn't been alerted yet. East it was. As he sped through the town of Echo he could see 2, maybe 3, Utah Troopers in his rear view mirror about a half mile back. He turned east and headed up Echo Canyon Road, right foot pushing as hard as it could into floor trying to get all he could out of the 217 cubic inches under the hood. Would the 95HP be enough? The Troopers were gaining on him. Six miles into Echo Canyon, on a long straight stretch he lost traction on a patch of ice and felt the the rear end skid out the right. He slid sideways off the road and down the embankment finally coming to a stop on the bank of Echo Creek. He tried to start the motor but it wouldn't turn over. Trying to make one last stand he grabbed his handgun, pulled on the door handle, but before he could get out of the car the Troopers filled the door of the Plymouth with holes. The police left the car where it landed and in time the creek bed built up around it leaving just enough exposed to frustrate anyone who tried to figure out what it was and how it got there. The locals say that on a snowy winters night, on the eve of Christmas Eve, if you stand beside the car you can hear the ghost of Elmer Lockwood tell you "it's a 1946 Plymouth 2 door Deluxe Sedan."
  13. Keep the Show on the Road!

Ah, my boys, me thinks 1946 Plymouth 2 door Deluxe. You should have been there...... when they came out! The rear tail light distinct rectangular with chrome trim), elongated rear side window, and fastback line are keys.for me. Thanks Roadhound and MGA for the great ride! Dave Keep the Show on the Road!!
  14. Correct. Most '46-'47, and many '48 models as well, were '41-'42 bodies with 'freshened' trim. It was a unique seller's market given the pent-up demand caused by the lack of new car production during the war years, so anything that was built sold, usually at or above above sticker price (lots of 'under the table' payments to dealers to guarantee a spot on the delivery list!). The 'independent' manufacturers came out with 'all-new' postwar cars first, starting with Studebaker in mid-1946 with their Raymond Loewy-designed 'aero-look' 1947 models. Hudson, Nash, and Packard all followed at some point during the 1947 model year. The 'big 3' were slower, with both GM and Ford holding off until the 1948 model year to bring out all-new top end brands (Lincoln, Cadillac, and some Buick and Oldsmobile models) and until 1949 for their 'bread and butter' lower-priced marques. Chrysler Corp. was even slower, keeping their pre-war bodies through early 1949 and replacing them with a 'second series' of new 1949 designs in mid-model year.
  15. roadhound

Thanks mga707 for taking the time to look through your encyclopedia. My thoughts in regard to the age of the vehicle were along the same lines. The car is way before my time but I have read that post war models varied little from their pre-war predecessors. After spending an hour or so googling different makes and years my best guess would have to be a late 40's Plymouth or Dodge, although I haven't yet found anything that matches exactly.
  16. Looked through my 'Encyclopedia of American Cars 1930-1980' to no avail. Will go out on a limb and say it looks like either immediate pre-war (1941-42) or just after (1946-47) to me.
  17. Recently, I was driving the Lincoln Highway through Echo Canyon and spotted an unusual sight just to the south of the roadbed. Toward the eastern end of the canyon, down a 10 foot embankment, and across a small creek was the remains of what looked to me like a 1940's era coupe. The paint was faded, there were bullet holes in the door, and it was half submerged in the soil. As I hiked down to get a closer look a number of questions popped into my head. What year, make, and model is it? How did it get there? How long has it been there? Was it the sight of a shootout between police and bank robbers? The water in the creek was to wide for me to leap across and short of ripping out a fencepost I couldn't find a suitable material to make a bridge, so, I was left to making my observations from a distance. I was able to see that all the glass was missing with the possible exception of a tail light on the drivers side. It didn't look like the steering wheel or much of the interior was intact but it was difficult to tell with it being submerged in the soil the way it was. I did observe a small piece of the rear bumper sticking up out of the earth which leads me to believe that the frame is intact. If anybody knows the story of this relic I would be interested in hearing about it. Roadhound http:\\rick-pisio.pixels.com http:\\www.rwphotos.com
  18. Keep the Show on the Road!

Ridge Route Update

Mike, thanks for the update, and for your efforts to get the Ridge Route reopened. That is a mighty undertaking. Dave
  19. Michael Ballard

Ridge Route Update

From our ridgeroute.org website - On Monday, June 10, Michael Ballard (myself), Harrison Scott, Dave Omieczynski, and Richard Valot had a meeting with representatives from the Angeles National Forest. They included Jerry Perez – Forest Supervisor, Justin Seastrand – Environmental Coordinator, Ricardo Lopez – Road Engineer, and Jamahl Butler – District Ranger. Our meeting, which was held on the Ridge Route near the southern end, was to discuss a range of topics regarding the road. We initially met at the Ridge Route and Templin Highway where we made introductions and briefly went over the meeting details. From there, I led the group with my sportbike up the road to the southern gate. At that point, we discussed the land ownership problems and the 2010 paving, which we believe will help us with our goal of getting the road reopened. After our discussion, they opened the gate and I led the group on a tour of the Ridge Route from the southern gate to Reservoir Summit. The initial plan, however, was to only go about four miles north to see the recently reconstructed section of road. Each stop, the USFS people decided to go a bit further. We didn’t mind this at all! Along the way, we made stops at some of the sections of the roadway that had been repaired as well as some of the historic sites along the road, such as the National Forest Inn site. At each major stop, Scotty brought out his books and showed photos of the sites. Once we got to Reservoir Summit, we had another discussion regarding the state of the roadway. Overall, it was in very good shape with only a few areas needing more immediate attention. Many sections had been resurfaced and we did make it clear that we didn’t want to see a wholesale repaving of the roadway for the sake of preservation. They seemed to understand this. After our discussion and hike to the reservoir, we all headed back to the southern gate to finalize our meeting. The meeting was productive and positive. There is still a lot of work to be done, but they were willing to help and to work with us. Instead of a Memorandum of Understanding, we may be entering into a Volunteer Agreement regarding cleaning drains and such along the roadway. They also stated they would do additional research regarding the land ownership issue at the southern end of the roadway. In regards to opening the roadway, there is still no estimate on when it will reopen. Another concern is roadway maintenance, which we may be able to help defray with volunteer effort. There are still additional issues that need to be addressed but we at least have a better understanding of what the Forest Service sees as the problems. One of them, overall condition of the roadway and ability for vehicles to travel safely, I tried to prove by using my sportbike. If I can go on the roadway using that vehicle, most everyone should be able to pass over it safely as well. Only time will tell if this meeting was truly successful, but I believe it was. I will give additional updates when we hear back from the USFS in the near future.
  20. mga707

You can hear me on the radio again

The 'Reader's Digest' short version is that commercial radio stations have contracts with the two main music publishing organizations, BMI (Broadcast Music International) and ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers) whom they pay. The two publishing organizations then distribute songwriting royalties to their respective songwriters.
  21. Keep the Show on the Road!

You can hear me on the radio again

I read the playlist for your show. Glad to see you are back on the air. I know your Dad passed recently. Speaking as the father of a son about your age who struggles with self sufficiency and health issues, your Dad would be proud you keep on truckin'. I have a question. How does a radio station get permission to play music artists? Do they have to pay royalties....or something? Old age is reducing my road trips so I am not posting as often here, but I was on the road a few weeks ago, so maybe I will put it on the Forum. We traveled old auto and stage coach roads in Oregon. Great fun. Dave Keep the Show on the Road
  22. * June 2019 already? As I suspected in April, life did get in the way of being active more often here. When I had my family of cars & road tripped yearly (2002-2011), I visited over 35 groups & message boards regularly; I cut back a few years ago & now visit irregularly because life has sure changed over the years. I am (thus far) still alive, tho. I have been out of work since last August & job hunting is difficult; I even started my own business. But, a new bright spot is returning to the airwaves! Official announcement of my re-booted radio show: http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2019/05/15/cd-showcase/ [includes genre details & links to check out] 2019 CD SHOWCASE website page: http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/radio-shows/2019-cd-showcase/ [features playlists & links (related Facebook group & FB event; radio station website & FB page; how to listen when show airs & online-via podcast)] If you enjoy the show, let me know & give some feedback direct to the radio station; thank you. Cort, pig&cowValves+PM, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com 2003 MGM LS + 1981 cmc SC; need 1975 Chrysler Cordoba "It was like a lighted match had been tossed into my soul" | Trisha Yearwood | 'The Song Remembers When'
  23. knightfan26917

Dad death, radio show reboot, vehicle fronts

Hey Dave, Thank you ... I sure appreciate your comment. Tough to believe he has been dead 2 months today, but time sure is flying. Life is so short & fast, & I feel like I am running out of time. Cort, pig&cowValves+PM, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com 2003 MGM LS + 1981 cmc SC; need 1975 Chrysler Cordoba "A smile can hide all the pain" | Glen Campbell | 'Rhinestone Cowboy'
  24. Michael Ballard

Gillespie Dam Brigde

I believe I saw the signs in Janruary 2013 when I went on my first motorcycle ride to Phoenix. By late 2017, they were indeed gone.
  25. I agree, very disappointing that people would do something like that! Glad you enjoyed the article, it's an interesting website.
  26. Thank you for that update--really disappointing that the signs were stolen, one would assume merely for the value of the metal. The Next Exit article is fascinating!
  1. Load more activity