American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Saturday Route 66 Trek

We took advantage of a rare, somewhat mild midwest January day and made a loop trip over into Illinois. The goal was geocaches and corndogs. We started out on the Dixie Highway out of Speedway and headed west into Illinois. With time slipping quickly by, we jumped on the "Evil I" and made our way to Springfield for a late lunch at the Cozy Drive In for my yearly innoculation of hotdog and batter on a stick.....the original corndog mastered by Ed Waldmire decades ago. From there, we headed south on Route 66, picked up a geocache near Lake Springfield, then enjoyed 66 the rest of the way. At 6pm, we lost our daylight in Mt. Olive and ventured back east to home.

A few photos can be seen in the gallery here. The actual sequence of the day starts with the last photo. One of these days I'll remember to start uploading photos in reverse to get the right sequence! :brick_wall: