American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

L H A Conference Plus

I recently attended the Lincoln Highway Association conference in Tooele, Utah. The conference included two bus tours and I drove some "alternate" LH alignments on the way. The trip continues as I return home but the LH related stuff is over. Day 3 involved the original Omaha alignment, days 5, 6, and 7 were spent on the Colorado Loop, part of day 8 might have been on the Elk Mountain alternate route, and I followed the Ogden Loop on day 10 although I didn't have much to say about it. Days 11, 12, and 13 cover the conference and the cover page for the full trip is here. Highlights include a bus tour through Dugway although plans to travel the Goodyear Cutoff were thwarted by the USAF. It always has been a tough road to get to.

I had pretty much decided that I would never see anything inside Dugway so I'm very glad that I got to see anything. I'm not letting the disappointment of not seeing the Cutoff interfere with the enjoyment of seeing the bridge. It was always known that permission could be withdrawn at any time including before we entered at all. Some people see our Dugway visit and think half the gates were locked. I like to think that half were unlocked.