American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Carl Johnson's Gone

I learned of this through the Route 66 Yahoo Group. I'm sure some forum members knew Carl, a Route 66 scout, historian, and general god guy.

Carl L. Johnson

HILLSIDE - Carl L. Johnson, 57, of Hillside, passed away at 3:16 a.m. on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 at Memorial Medical Center.

Arrangements are pending with Kirlin-Egan & Butler Funeral Home, 900 S. 6th St., Springfield.

Published in The State Journal-Register on December 6, 2012

I recall a few of us...I believe you were one Denny...hanging out on the patio of a bar in Springfield, IL during one of the international festivals. That was the first time I met Carl and like everyone else has said on the Route 66 Yahoo Group, he was a good guy and one of the many roadies I've met over the years who had road stories to tell. He was a tireless researcher when it came to Route 66, especially in Illinois. Sad day for 66 indeed.

That was at the Alamo in 2007. I actually didn't remember the year but found this: http://www.dennygibs...ay02/pic06a.jpg Carl's on the right.

I had met Carl at least once or twice before that and probably just once or twice since. I didn't know him well but knew him as someone who really liked to dig into the old alignments.