American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Ridge Route Alternate - Fire

Over the last week, there has been a fire that burned a significant portion of the Ridge Route Alternate from near Big Oak Flat north to Pyramid Lake. I am unsure of the damage to the roadway, or its roadside material. I will be up there to check it out on October 1st. Hopefully, the 1932 Piru Creek Bridge still has its wooden railing! If anyone is out in that area, please send a report!

Mike Ballard

• 3 months later...
Over the last week, there has been a fire that burned a significant portion of the Ridge Route Alternate from near Big Oak Flat north to Pyramid Lake. I am unsure of the damage to the roadway, or its roadside material. I will be up there to check it out on October 1st. Hopefully, the 1932 Piru Creek Bridge still has its wooden railing! If anyone is out in that area, please send a report!

Mike Ballard

Has anyone visited this area since the fire? If so, please do let us know how this road fared.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone visited this area since the fire? If so, please do let us know how this road fared.

The fire burned the bulk of the old highway, from Whitaker Summit through to the Pyramid Dam. The road won't be reopened until March it would seem. From what I've been able to see of it, and from other reports, it looks like at least the 1932/1951 Piru Creek Bridge is in good order. The railing on the 1932 side, which is wooden, appears to be intact. To the north of the bridge, in Piru Gorge, it looks like the fire wasn't as severe, but still burned most of the area.

• 2 years later...

Sorry I haven't updated this information. The Piru Creek Bridge suffered only a minor loss of railing on the south end. One section. The rest is quite intact. Other than that, no major damage to the highway, which is quite nice. Now if the movie people don't cover the roadway with any more skidmarks, I'll be happy! You can thank that last Fast and Furious movie for the largest amount of marks on Three Mile Grade.