American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Madonna Doesn't Live Here Anymore

On September 22, Ohio's Madonna of the Trail monument was moved to her third home. The statue originally stood on the grounds of the Masonic Home just west of Springfield. In the 1950s, road construction forced her to move a half mile to the east. Her latest move was another couple of miles to the east to a new National Road Commons park in downtown Springfield. One negative of the move is that the location specific inscriptions on the statue's base are no longer quite accurate. Most consider this a fair trade for gaining easy and safe access to the monument. Visiting it at its former location meant either parking or walking on the shoulder of a sometimes very busy highway. I've placed a picture of the lady's new home in the gallery here.

Wow ... that does look a bit ... lonely.

BUT ... it does sound as if this is a safer place to actually visit up close and personal....

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"My world is changing" __ Faith Hill __ 'Where Are You Christmas?'

The statue is now in downtown Springfield and I never thought of her being lonely but I definitely see your point. I intentionally chose a peopleless and buildingless view and accidentally aroused your concern. I've since posted another photo (here) that shows the scene as parade time approaches and will hopefully ease your minds regarding the old gal's social life.

LOL! Now, she may have more of a social life than me! Or not.

But, good to know that she isn't quite as lonely as it seemed originally. Thanks, Denny!

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

* Radio.HolidayCDshowcase | 12.24.2011 | Noon-4p.CENTRAL | www.wrmn1410.com *

"It's a pudding made of figs ... and bacon" __ Gonzo to Miss Piggy/John Denver and Muppets __ 'We Wish You A Merry Christmas'