American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Old Us 52 Bridge To Be Replaced

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090302/LOCAL1804/90302023

A bridge along old US 52 in Indianapolis is going to be demolished starting this month and then replaced. I live not far from this bridge; I think I ought to go over there with my camera before it's gone!

I have had a hankering to do a US 52 trip from Indy north. A lot of this road was left behind when its routing was run down I-65. There's a few miles of a four- and five-lane segment on Indy's Northwestside that at certain times of day is just barren, but at one time was a major way into this town.

A bridge along old US 52 in Indianapolis is going to be demolished starting this month and then replaced. I live not far from this bridge; I think I ought to go over there with my camera before it's gone!

I have had a hankering to do a US 52 trip from Indy north. A lot of this road was left behind when its routing was run down I-65. There's a few miles of a four- and five-lane segment on Indy's Northwestside that at certain times of day is just barren, but at one time was a major way into this town.

I had heard they were going to replace it, but I didn't know it was going to be this soon. You can also get some good pics from I-65, too, since it's just a few yards away.

I love US 52. It was just last summer that we drove it all the way from the Canadian border back to Indianapolis. We drove some nice old alignments through Minnesota.

Chris