American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

To Brick Or Not To Brick

OLD LINCOLN HIGHWAY BRICKS FOUND IN DAYTON, OHIO

Earliet this month, a lot of original Lincoln Highway bricks, laid down in 1914, were found during roadwork on Canton's Tuscarawas Street.

I would have expected Canton to keep them to have left the bricks in place and use them, but, plans are to ship the bricks out to the Great Platte River Road Archway over I-80 in Kearney, Nebraska. Kearney was the halfway mark of the old LH, and the arch is a few miles from the alignment.

They are ecstatic about getting the bricks for a planned project. There had been plans to get a brickmaking company to make new ones and perhaps a hope for a few "real" bricks. This goes far beyond their wildest dreams. Once in Kearney, they plan to cobble them together into a 16 foot wide and 30 foot long stretch of road.

The museum documents the history of transportation in the US from the old wagon trails to the present with a major emphasis on the Lincoln Highway.

If the bricks gets there, and there is still some question as to whether they're being loaned or donated, and Canton says they are not going to pay to ship the bricks, they will join a 130 foot-long metal bridge made by the Canton Bridge Company. At one time, Canton was called the brick-making capital of the world.

The one time we went under the arch, we were on a tight schedule and didn't have the time to warrant a look at this museum for the price of admission, which I believe to be around $10 or $12 if I remember correctly.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

Lincoln Highway? Dayton? They must be from an obscure Dixie-Lincoln connecter. :rolleyes:

Aww, we know what you meant.

That museum sounds like a "gotta see" but, of course, I gotta get there first.

I stand corrected. I don't know why I typed Dayton instead of Canton. My excuse is that my eyes are tired. And...I'm stickin' to it.

Lincoln Highway? Dayton? They must be from an obscure Dixie-Lincoln connecter. :rolleyes:

Aww, we know what you meant.

That museum sounds like a "gotta see" but, of course, I gotta get there first.

I stand corrected. I don't know why I typed Dayton instead of Canton. My excuse is that my eyes are tired. And...I'm stickin' to it.

That excuse, plus claims of old age, works for me. LOL

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

• 2 months later...

A lady from Nebraska has posted something about these bricks going to the Archway at Kearney (on I-80) in her blog at

http://sandhillssequitur.blogspot.com/2007...of-history.html

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

The Ohio bricks are, in fact, going to the Archway over I-80 at Kearney, NE.

Kearney Hub

A lady from Nebraska has posted something about these bricks going to the Archway at Kearney (on I-80) in her blog at

http://sandhillssequitur.blogspot.com/2007...of-history.html