American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Your Favorite Unexpected Find...

WisHxGeek

Some of my favorite stops on a road trip are the ones that you had no idea existed until you stumble upon them along the way...

Metropolis, IL- not only a giant Superman- but also a giant guy holding groceries at the edge of town (I swear he was bigger than Superman, which concerned me...)

Huber's Orchard & Winery- we saw this sign along the highway and it led us through hill and dale until we came upon this attraction... farmers market, winery, petting zoo and more. http://www.huberwinery.com/content_display.php?id=1

The general store in Cornucopia, WI

Corps of Discovery Welcome Center in Crofton, NE

What are your favorite unexpected finds?

Quite right you are. The unexpected is always good. They feel like bonuses and go a long way toward making up for the thing you'd long planned on seeing only to realize you'd missed the turnoff many hours later. My favorite bits of serendipity include:

• Rotary Jail -- Crawfordsville, IN
  • Desert View Tower -- near Jacumba, CA
  • Billy Tripp's Mind Field -- Brownsville, TN
  • Round Barn Museum -- Mannington, WV
  • Sign sculptures -- Meadville, PA

Some of my favorite stops on a road trip are the ones that you had no idea existed until you stumble upon them along the way...

What are your favorite unexpected finds?

Mary Sue and I finally found some breathing time from raising kids and employment in the mid 1980's and began doing a little "local" cruisin' on the weekends. Some of our favorite finds include:

(a) Quarter-mile alignment of abandoned Route 66 in front of the "Rock House" just west of St. Clair, MO.

(B) Riverfront park and beach at Meramec Caverns just south of Stanton, MO.

© Hooker Cut 4-lane Route 66 at Devils Elbow, MO.

(d) Old Chain of Rocks Bridge in STL.

(e) Route 66 Lounge (and Fran) in Cuba, MO.

There are many, many others that are significant to us because nearly everything was at the time....Bliss