American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Trip To Utah & Arizona Planned

We had the loss of our long time companion and travel buddy, Bo the Malamute Wonder Dog this morning. I hope I don’t sound flip, because there are tears in my eyes, but I know how to deal with grief. When one door closes, you open another,,..,so we are going on a road trip.

Sheila and I are thinking maybe Southern and Central Utah and Northern Arizona, inspired by beamerchef and the 1917 Motormen. We will be posting, but perhaps not my regular daily trip details.

I have access to bemerchef’s great material, and I invite other suggestions. We have some fixed commitments here tomorrow, but I’m thinking we will get on the road Friday of Saturday.

Condolences are not necessary.

Keep the Show on the Road! :)

Dave

We had the loss of our long time companion and travel buddy, Bo the Malamute Wonder Dog this morning. I hope I don’t sound flip, because there are tears in my eyes, but I know how to deal with grief. When one door closes, you open another,,..,so we are going on a road trip.

Sheila and I are thinking maybe Southern and Central Utah and Northern Arizona, inspired by beamerchef and the 1917 Motormen. We will be posting, but perhaps not my regular daily trip details.

I have access to bemerchef’s great material, and I invite other suggestions. We have some fixed commitments here tomorrow, but I’m thinking we will get on the road Friday of Saturday.

Condolences are not necessary.

Keep the Show on the Road! :)

Dave

Dave,

If you are going to get to the Logan Utah area, you may wish to consult our own Brian Atkinson's website relating to Scenic Route 89. I got some advice from him when Peg and I were in Salt Lake City for our son's volleyball tournament and wanted to get to Jackson Hole and Grand Teton. Brian gave me a step by step route with restaurants and sites, and we had a marvelous time taking advantage of all the great information he provided.

Enjoy your trip and take care my good friend.

I can't offer suggestions so all you get from me are good wishes and envy. Every time I see a picture of Utah it tugs at my camera strap. Good luck.

I'm afraid I'm with Denny on this one too. I've been to Utah once in my life and that was in 1994 (14 years ago this week, come to think of it!) on a Greyhound bus while on my way to SoCal. My Arizona adventures have been "confined" to the Route 66 corridor and US 93 from Kingman up to the Hoover Dam and on into Lost Wages, Nevada. I might be able to pester Jim Ross into adding his $.02. I know he spent some time in Utah a few years ago and was quite impressed with what it had to offer.

Keep,

Sorry to hear about Bo. I know the dilemma between caring for an old dog and the yearning to hit the open road on a whim.

You know where I would recommend in Utah (Salt Lake City to Ely via the Lincoln in case I needed to spell it out) but it doesn't have the dramatic canyon vistas and could be a bit dicey in a sedan the closer you get to winter.

Safe travels where ever you decide to head.

Roadhound

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I'm going to be a wreck when we lose one of our 'kids.'

Utah and Arizona. I love that area of the country. Arches Ntl Park is one of my favorite national parks. Zion is awesome. Arizona is spectacular, too. As for routes to explore, US 50, old US 6, and Lincoln (the various alignments) are allot of fun. There are some articles in back issues of American Road that you might find useful for your trip (but, it may be too late if you are already on the road). There's an article about the LH Goodyear Cutoff in the Autumn 2003 issue. An article about US Route 163 & 191 in the Summer 2003 issue (which travels through the lower eastern section of Utah), and many more. Check out the index created by Richard Etchells: Index