American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Falling Fuel Prices.....

roadmaven

As of this posting, crude oil prices have fallen below the $90/barrel mark for the first time in quite some time for November delivery. Also, unleaded gasoline futures, also for November delivery, have fallen to $2.23/gallon. Several parts of the country are selling gas in the $2.80's/gallon. It's probably a safe bet that barring any national crisis, most of the country will be seeing fuel prices below $3.00/gallon this time a month from now. American Road has a neat resource to monitor fuel prices as well as crude oil prices: http://www.americanroadmagazine.com/gas_prices.html

So are the lower fuel prices swaying you in getting out more? Or, when gas was $4+/gallon back in June, did that keep you from taking your trips? Did you sacrifice your travel budget somewhere else so you could still take your trips? For us, typically we don't let fuel prices get in the way of us hitting the road. If we typically fill either our Toyota or Honda, it takes around 10 gallons. So comparing $3 gas vs. $4 gas, it's a mere $10, which we could save by skipping a meal and brown-bagging it. Just curious what others' thoughts are since our travel costs are a little cheaper than they were a few months ago.

The high gas prices have not at all kept me off the road. But I'm like you, Pat, in that I drive a gas-sipping car. Given that my trips are seldom more than a day from home, the trip cost difference between $3/gal and $4/gal gas has been entirely absorbable.

So are the lower fuel prices swaying you in getting out more? Or, when gas was $4+/gallon back in June, did that keep you from taking your trips? Did you sacrifice your travel budget somewhere else so you could still take your trips? For us, typically we don't let fuel prices get in the way of us hitting the road. If we typically fill either our Toyota or Honda, it takes around 10 gallons. So comparing $3 gas vs. $4 gas, it's a mere $10, which we could save by skipping a meal and brown-bagging it. Just curious what others' thoughts are since our travel costs are a little cheaper than they were a few months ago.

Our travel is more affected by family schedule than the price of fuel. And with the Dow now below 10,000, my retirement funds dropping is a bigger impact than the cost of gas on a road trip. All of our cars get 25+mpg on highway trips, so that is much less of a factor than it might be to those with RV's. But many of our trips have been to fly to an area, rent a car, and then explore there, and the airlines have put a bigger dent in our plans than the car costs...