American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Hot "new" Forums

Jennifer,

I understand that and use that feature, but on another forum I am active on, when I open the forum page it shows me how many new posts are there since I last read, and when I open the topic, each post since I last read had a small box with new plus the page automatically takes me to the first new post since I last read. A real timesaver when you are looking at a topic with several pages of posts there.

I realize that is a small detail, but it also makes being active a lot easier...or maybe I am just lazy.

Hi Dave,

Do you know what software is used to run that Forum? I'm wondering if this is a limitation of the software that we are using. I'll have to connect with our webmaster.

Thanks,

Becky

Hi Dave,

Do you know what software is used to run that Forum? I'm wondering if this is a limitation of the software that we are using. I'll have to connect with our webmaster.

Thanks,

Becky

I do not know the name of the current software they are using. I know that the owner of the forum has updated a couple of times, but as long as I have belonged (since May of 2007), the British Car Forum has had that feature. I am sure if your webmaster contacts Basil, the "forum emperor", he would be willing to help. He is a good guy. PM me if you need me to contact him for you...

This board software has something kind of similar, Dave. If you click the "view new posts" link on the forum's main page, you will see a list of threads with new posts. To the left of each thread's title is a little orange square with a little white right triangle in the corner. Click it, and you will go to the first post in that thread that you haven't read yet.

Hi Dave,

Thanks,

Becky

It's using UBB.Threads (http://www.ubbcentral.com/) as is the oil site KtSotR mentioned. A couple of forums I'm semi-familiar with use vBulletin (http://www.vbulletin.com/). I'm not endorsing or suggesting a change. Just some comparison targets.

This board software has something kind of similar, Dave. If you click the "view new posts" link on the forum's main page, you will see a list of threads with new posts. To the left of each thread's title is a little orange square with a little white right triangle in the corner. Click it, and you will go to the first post in that thread that you haven't read yet.

Excellent. I didn't know that but just tried it with my own recent post and it took me right there.

I nominate mobilene for the forum's "Helpful Mortal of the Month Award". (I originally wrote "dude of the month" but immediately knew that was wrong.)

Thank you. I never realized that feature was there. That makes this much better for my methods. Maybe I will next start to read the instruction books with new products and software before I start using them. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
Becky, I think your #1 suggestion is the most important. I've been posting to (and moderating) forums of one stripe or another for 20 years and my experience is that when somebody takes the lead and posts on topic, others will follow. jim

Hi Jim,

I'm sorry I haven't responded to your message before now. We've been dealing w/ a family medical emergency that is taking allot of time and energy. But, I wanted you to know that we (Pat, Denny, Jennifer, Keep) have had a few discussions on next steps. Basically, I just wanted to tell you this issue is not forgotten.

Thx,

Becky

Thank you. I never realized that feature was there. That makes this much better for my methods. Maybe I will next start to read the instruction books with new products and software before I start using them. Thanks for the help.

I only figured out that feature recently myself, and I've been using boards like this for years. Moreover, most forum software has this feature, or one very similar.

I'm sorry I haven't responded to your message before now. We've been dealing w/ a family medical emergency that is taking allot of time and energy. But, I wanted you to know that we (Pat, Denny, Jennifer, Keep) have had a few discussions on next steps. Basically, I just wanted to tell you this issue is not forgotten.

Becky, I'm sorry to hear of this. Best to you and your family as you go through it, and I hope it all resolves well. jim