American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Let's Get Real

RoadDog

Three interesting stories in the papers recently, two road and one not.

What Speed Camera?

Did you hear the one about the lady in Scottsdale, Arizona, who racked up 70 speeding tickets in the last 5 months. She didn't know about the speed camera police had installed at the one point of her drive. Her excuse was that she was late for client meetings. She didn't think anything would happen if she didn't pay them. She owes $11,000 and could have her license suspended. Imagine that. Who'd a thunk?

Better Late than Never

An 86 year old man in Florida paid his parking ticket..........sixty years late!!!! He received it in Norfolk, Virginia, back in 1946 while he was in the Navy. It cost $1. He bought a money order to pay it, and just discovered the ticket and order while cleaning out an old box. "At my age, when I go out of here, I don't want to owe anyone a dime." The Norfolk police are not going to cash it. They are going to frame it and put it in the department's museum.

Watch Out for Those Vicious Mannequins

OK, so this one isn't completely road, but, hey, I have stopped at malls while traveling, and isn't the Mall of America a tourist destination?

In Chicagoland, a lady has sued JC Penney's at Westminster Mall for an attack by a mannequin last year. This "attack" bloodied her scalp, cracked a tooth (which led to a root canal), has caused recurring shoulder problems, and numbness in her fingers. She was hit by an arm that fell off when she and a clerk were removing a blouse she wanted to try on. The mannequin was probably just being modest.

First, we had the attack of the steaming coffee, now the marauding mannequins. What next?

In 1990, a Florida woman collected $175, 000 from a similar "attack."

So, the next time you're at a store, keep an eye out for those mannequins. They may be watching and plotting.

Keep Laughing Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog