American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

A Pair Of Indiana Sleeping Spots

DennyG

Over the weekend I made a pleasure drive to my west that included stops at a couple of motels that have been mentioned in connection with a possible future maybe someday group outing between the Illinois and Indiana Madonnas.

I stayed at the Golden Inn near Richmond, Indiana, on Friday and it lived up to my positive memory of it. I've posted a new photo here.

Saturday was at the Woodridge Motel in Terre Haute. This is right on the National Road in a fairly convenient spot but no one here had any experience with it. Here is a picture. It was OK but it is no Golden Inn.

In terms of those motel surveys that we've all seen, the Golden Inn gets a "definitely would stay here again" and a "probably would recommend to a friend" (Recommending anything less than the Marriott to some friends is a waste of time.) The Woodridge gets a "probably would stay here again" and a "maybe would/maybe would not recommend to a friend"..

Pat:

Acceptable is a good description. It was definitely a "see before you sign" sort of place and I feared it was a motel that was simply deteriorating. Not so. The place is being maintained as shown by the recently resurfaced parking lot which the owner mentioned as a big expense.

Jim:

I imagine the rooms once had two doors. Any internal evidence of a road facing door in my room was covered by the paneling but there are clues on the outside. I'm quite sure the door I entered wasn't added since you've left school (unless you've REALLY been lying about your age). The roadside rooms form the base of a 'U' and there is a separate building with another half-dozen or so rooms across the 'U's open end. All rooms open to the center.

P.S., For the curious, I've added a couple of pictures of the "far side of the Woodridge" here.

Just curious Denny, was the rate in line with what you got?

Oops. Forgot that rather important detail. Yes, both were priced right. $44 for the Golden Inn and $40 for the Woodridge. I believe the Golden Inn would have been $50 for two people and don't know about the Woodridge in that regard.