American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Canada's Highways - History

mobilene

I know this is the American Road forum, but permit me a diversion to direct you to this unbelievable Web site chock full of historic photos that tell the history of highways in Canada.

http://www.thekingshighway.ca/

Interesting find mobilene. My Great-Grandfather, on my mothers side, was the superintendant of a section of the Kings Road as it was being built somewhere in the Toronto area during the 1930's. I haven't been able to pin down exactly where but according to my mother there was a summit on the road named after him.

• 2 weeks later...

Bain Summit near near Lake Nipigan in Ontario.

Bain is my mother's maiden name and her grandfather was the superintendant responsible for building the road. The name has since been changed meaning it is now time for me to do some research and find out what it has been changed too.

Roadhound

img208.jpg

Wow, what a great photograph, Rick! I found Lake Nipigon on Google Maps. It's way the heck north of Michigan's Upper Pininsula.

Lake Nipigon, Google Maps

The only highway out there is King's Highway 11. Frankly, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of other roads there, other than roads in towns. I do see what look like traces of old alignments around 11. Or maybe they're unmarked logging roads; who knows.

That's a great photo.

Wow, what a great photograph, Rick! I found Lake Nipigon on Google Maps. It's way the heck north of Michigan's Upper Pininsula.

Lake Nipigon, Google Maps

The only highway out there is King's Highway 11. Frankly, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of other roads there, other than roads in towns. I do see what look like traces of old alignments around 11. Or maybe they're unmarked logging roads; who knows.

That's a great photo.

I dropped an e-mail to the webmaster on the Canada Highways site that is at the top of this thread but no response as of yet. I suspect that it is King's Highway 11 as well and did follow it on Google maps in the Lake Nipogon area. It's not to far from Thunder Bay which is where my grandfather grew up.

There's no indication on the photo who the person walking on the roadway is.

Roadhound