American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Dave's Alaska Photos

Dave Reese

I have started posting a few photos from Peg's and my recent trip to Alaska. We spent some time on roads (although we were not driving) but in Alaska, most roads are two lanes and this is America, so I think this post is on topic. I have only posted about a dozen so far, but more will appear as I work my way through 20 gigs of photo files I brought home. I hope you enjoy them at my flickr account.

I have started posting a few photos from Peg's and my recent trip to Alaska. We spent some time on roads (although we were not driving) but in Alaska, most roads are two lanes and this is America, so I think this post is on topic. I have only posted about a dozen so far, but more will appear as I work my way through 20 gigs of photo files I brought home. I hope you enjoy them at my flickr account.

Dave,

You got some very nice shots! Looks like it was a great trip. Let us all know when you post some more so I can continue to enjoy your trip "virtually."

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Dave,

You got some very nice shots! Looks like it was a great trip. Let us all know when you post some more so I can continue to enjoy your trip "virtually."

Dave,

Thanks for the nice comments. It was a magnificent trip, and it is hard to believe that it was only last week when we came home.

Actually I have been adding a few from time to time this morning. I hope to add some every day for probably a week as I have been building a slide show to put on DVD for family, and I have only covered less than a third of the trip so far. As of noon EDT, I have 29 photos in the album.

This is a labor of love of travel and photography...

Beautiful photography - it does really illustrate that there is still a hell of a lot of empty space up there.

My expreriences with Alaska are, somewhat, limited to flying Coast Guard fisheries patrols from Hawaii (figure that one out!!!) over Alaskan waters.

Ok, ok, I'll let you off the hook - back in the 60's the Coast Guard HC-130's flew from Hawaii to Alaska and then flew fisheries patrols from various fields. One of our missions, while I was up there was to fly a spare engine and some spare part to a Navy P3 Orion stranded in Nome!!!! The air strip they had landed on wasn't long enough for them to get off with only 3 engines. They were stuck there for about a month. So I did get to see some beautiful and wild country between Fairbanks and Nome.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

Beautiful photography - it does really illustrate that there is still a hell of a lot of empty space up there.

My expreriences with Alaska are, somewhat, limited to flying Coast Guard fisheries patrols from Hawaii (figure that one out!!!) over Alaskan waters.

Ok, ok, I'll let you off the hook - back in the 60's the Coast Guard HC-130's flew from Hawaii to Alaska and then flew fisheries patrols from various fields. One of our missions, while I was up there was to fly a spare engine and some spare part to a Navy P3 Orion stranded in Nome!!!! The air strip they had landed on wasn't long enough for them to get off with only 3 engines. They were stuck there for about a month. So I did get to see some beautiful and wild country between Fairbanks and Nome.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex and Dave,

I have missed Alaska, and only know it through guys like you two. Keep the stories and photos coming!

Dave

Dave,

Some of those places look downright charming....ping ball balls flying out doors, etc. I'm not so sure I like the bugs. As for the friendly dog, I'm sure he was, but he looks a little like he is sizing you up for a bite! Just kidding!

Was the yellow Checker cab in service or part of a display?

Keep thje Show on the Road!

Dave

Some of those places look downright charming....ping ball balls flying out doors, etc. I'm not so sure I like the bugs. As for the friendly dog, I'm sure he was, but he looks a little like he is sizing you up for a bite! Just kidding!

Was the yellow Checker cab in service or part of a display?

Dave,

The bugs weren't as bad as we expected, but were a bit annoying that evening. As to the Checker, it seemed to still be in service, but in the town of Talkeetna, it was hard to tell. The street that West Ribs was on ended a block up as the take-off end of a grass landing strip for the "airport". I was so fascinated watching a plane take off from that location that I forgot to take any photos...there was a similarity to Northern Exposure.

Alex and Denny,

Thanks for the kind words. I hope to have most of the photos up by Friday evening. I will announce when it is basically finished. My slide show for family is at 400 photos and I still have half a trip to do. The poor relatives will be quite bored. Revenge IS sweet.

Alex and Denny,

Thanks for the kind words. I hope to have most of the photos up by Friday evening. I will announce when it is basically finished. My slide show for family is at 400 photos and I still have half a trip to do. The poor relatives will be quite bored. Revenge IS sweet.

Dave,

Completely off topic. but years ago I got rid of house guests that had overstayed their welcome by forcing an hour and half slide show on them each evening until it became unbearable, and they left! I knew all those photos I took would come in handy one day!

PS, that was not a hint regarding yours…I’m hanging around for more!

Dave

I know it took longer than I had hoped, but the Alaska section of the trip is now online. Once my eyes refocus, I will post my pictures from Vancouver as well, but give me a few days...

I hope you enjoy the rest of the trip.

Edited by Dave Reese

Thanks all for the kind words. Although I had given up hobby photography for a number of years, I truly enjoy being able to take photos on vacations and at special events.