American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Midwest Fall Cruise Survey

DennyG

Once upon a time there was considerable talk of a spring time cruise along the National Road between Vandalia, IL, and Richmond, IN. Scheduling conflicts, etc., kept it from happening but the discussion here ends with the suggestion that it could take place in the fall. Well, fall is officially here tomorrow. Who wants to get together in October? Following through on the Vandalia to Richmond (or vice versa) plans is certainly a possibility but I thought I'd post this under General Discussion rather than National Road in case someone has a different idea.

What is needed now is a show of hands from anyone interested along with an indication of which of the four October weekends work for you and which do not.

The Bremer's schedule might allow them to participate but it might not and taking a lead in organizing doesn't seem prudent. If there is enough interest, I'll try to take the point in getting something going. If there isn't, we can take another look next spring.

What is needed now is a show of hands from anyone interested along with an indication of which of the four October weekends work for you and which do not.

We're interested, Denny. Early to mid October is probably best for us at this point. And you what - if the fall cruise doesn't happen it can always be arranged for next spring. Would be cool to have several cruisers, wouldn't it?......Bliss

If there is enough interest, I'll try to take the point in getting something going. If there isn't, we can take another look next spring.

Right now, it looks like the only days I have open are Oct 5 in the near term, and any weekend Nov 2 or later. In between those dates we are driving to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Of course you are all welcome to drive back with me on the PPOO, except that will be on weekdays.

Chris

A week has gone by and, even including Pat's preregistered "maybe", I count just 1 "yea" and 2 1/2 "maybes" and that 1/2 maybe expires next weekend. I'm interpreting the fact that Chris listed just one day, Oct 5, as his only chance to participate as indicating he's thinking of doing what he had planned for the spring and joining the troop for Sunday only.

So let's bring this thing to a head quickly. I'll commit to being in Vandalia either of the next two Saturday mornings if at least another three or four cars are planning on meeting me there. The Saturday overnight would be somewhere between Terre Haute and Indianapolis. Sunday would end in Richmond. If those maybes turn into yeses or other people sign on in the next couple of days, we'll do it. If not, we can move on to planning the second biennial spring cruise.

I'm interpreting the fact that Chris listed just one day, Oct 5, as his only chance to participate as indicating he's thinking of doing what he had planned for the spring and joining the troop for Sunday only

Yep, Saturdays don't work for me because that's our Sabbath and I've got church responsibilities on those days. As for spring, March and April look wide open at the moment :D

Chris

A week has gone by and, even including Pat's preregistered "maybe", I count just 1 "yea" and 2 1/2 "maybes" and that 1/2 maybe expires next weekend. I'm interpreting the fact that Chris listed just one day, Oct 5, as his only chance to participate as indicating he's thinking of doing what he had planned for the spring and joining the troop for Sunday only.

So let's bring this thing to a head quickly. I'll commit to being in Vandalia either of the next two Saturday mornings if at least another three or four cars are planning on meeting me there. The Saturday overnight would be somewhere between Terre Haute and Indianapolis. Sunday would end in Richmond. If those maybes turn into yeses or other people sign on in the next couple of days, we'll do it. If not, we can move on to planning the second biennial spring cruise.

Turns out that next Saturday, the 4th, is out for us also. The COR Bridge is having a car show event that's going to be held on the bridge itself and our son is showing 'Lil Red, who has been repainted and detailed to the max. Told him I would show up for some pics.

The following Saturday would be okay but it sounds as if there aren't enough commitments so I suggest you postpone the cruise until next spring....Bliss