American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Autostitch

mobilene

...used it?

I have now. A while back, Serif, the company whose photo editor I use, offered a free copy of their PanoramaPlus as part of an upgrade promotion. I installed it and probably opened it but didn't actually use it. When I followed the link to Autostitch, I noticed that PanoramaPlus is one of the licensed Autostitch based products so I fired it up. In the past, I've done a few panoramas using a stitch program that came bundled with a Canon camera. I used PanoramaPlus to reconstruct a panorama I had done of the Veteran Memorial Bridge between York & Lancaster in Pennsylvania in 2004. The two versions are here (old) and here (new). The PanoramaPlus/Autostitch version is much better with no detectable seams.

The two versions are here (old) and here (new). The PanoramaPlus/Autostitch version is much better with no detectable seams.

While the new image does better at hiding the seams, the old picture is much sharper and clearer. So I actually like the old one better... unless the sharpness is an artifact of the image compression and the new one actually looked sharper at a higher quality setting.

Chris

Thanks for posting the info on stitching. I just took a few pics recently and was going to look online for stitching software, nice to find links with feedback. On another note, I had to laugh, I had seen that some of you had posted about 3-D photography and Stereo Realist cameras. I have my grandfather's Stereo Realist and had been shooting with it until recently (expensive for mounting). Then I peeked at Mobilene's blog and saw his post about old Kodak cameras (another thing I have recently gotten into w/inhereited cameras). It is interesting seeing how many common interests there are here besides the roads.

Jason

While the new image does better at hiding the seams, the old picture is much sharper and clearer. So I actually like the old one better... unless the sharpness is an artifact of the image compression and the new one actually looked sharper at a higher quality setting.

Chris

Yep, I see that. My first thought was that it might be due to cruder sizing software in the PanoramaPlus. What I did in 2004 (I think) was produce as high-res panorama then resize with PhotoPlus. I ran out of play time before I could verify that. Maybe tonight.

Jim,

I have used half a dozen photo stitching programs over time. The one I liked best until recently was by Arcsoft. It did a good job and also produced 360 degree interactive images. I recently bought PanoramaStudio because it could do a panorama that neither Arcsoft nor Photoshop Elements would swallow.

It will work automatically, but my need is for a program that will also work with imperfect shots, and it does. I don’t use a tripod, and I’m too lazy to be very careful to keep the camera level, so I need an error tolerate program with adjustments for my mistakes. For that reason I haven’t been happy with automatic only programs. But I’m open to one that works!

Incidentally, I probably have an older version of Photoshop Elements around here if you need a photostitcher....you can have it for free if I can find it.

Jason,

I think I mentioned, I just use two matched inexpensive digitals mounted side by side on a flash bar now for 3D. Cheap, and the processing is “free.” I can’t say that 3D has been a big attraction here, but I think they are fun, and sometimes it is the only way to show a road feature.

And yah, this is a helpful gang.