American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Sumburger Drive-in, Chillicothe, Ohio

DennyG

I visited Chillicothe this weekend primarily to see the outdoor drama Tecumseh but a secondary purpose was trying out Sumburger. The one of a kind restaurant has been in business for 55 years and has operated at this location for 54. It originally offered only in-car and carry-out service and, when inside dining was added, telephones were used to duplicate car-side ordering at each table. I've posted some photos here

I visited Chillicothe this weekend primarily to see the outdoor drama Tecumseh but a secondary purpose was trying out Sumburger. The one of a kind restaurant has been in business for 55 years and has operated at this location for 54. It originally offered only in-car and carry-out service and, when inside dining was added, telephones were used to duplicate car-side ordering at each table. I've posted some photos here

Neat photo's Denny - I like that way of presenting them. You just keep klicking on "next".

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Now I need to find a good excuse to head out that way.

Excuses are plentiful. For starters, there is the Hopewell Culture National Park, the Adena Mansion, the Ross County Historical Center, and the First Capital District. A very popular excuse, and the one I used this time, is the Tecumseh drama. Their season ends next weekend but they'll be back next year. Kids generally enjoy it (It uses more black powder than any other "theater" in the country!) and they may even learn something :) . Retracing either the Ohio-Erie Canal or Zane's Trace will take you right through Chillicothe. In fact, Sumburger sits right on the modern Zane's Trace route. So does the Chillicothe Inn which I'll recommend for anyone as cheap as I am. $44 (incl. tax) for one guy and it was one of the cleanest and nicest rooms I've seen in that price range. More bodies cost more dollars. I did have the room closest to the office and I know that sometimes that makes a difference. I didn't do a journal for this outing but I did create a composite photo of my room like I often do for trip journals. I've added it to my American Road Forum gallery.

The same staff has been there longer than many folks here have been eating solid food!

Yep. It's a well run operation. The "hops" - both car and table - that I saw had considerably less "experience" but did their jobs quite well. I watched one or two rather closely just to make sure :) .