American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

The Great Outdoors...again!

roadmaven

We had another swell time in northern Minnesota last weekend for a few days of R & R. We had our first experience exploring the Great River Road while up there and on the way home. Saturday we had a great lunch at Mickey's Diner in St. Paul and took the GRR on the Wisconsin side south of the Twin Cities. Alma, Wisconsin was a cool little town on the GRR. A lock & dam with an active railroad next to it added to the coolness of this little town. All this could be seen 500 feet above town at Buena Vista Park, high on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River and miles of Wisconsin and Minnesota. Saturday night we had a nice stay at the little Lake Motel in Onalaska, WI. Sunday was back & forth along the GRR between Wisconsin & Iowa. We made our final cross back into Wisconsin on a 15 minute ferry ride down the Mississippi that dropped us off in Cassville, WI. I have to admit the GRR in northern Minnesota is less than inspiring, but when you get south of the Cities, that's where it really gets photogenic. All of Jennfier's snapshots can be found here. I'm told the ferry pics will be up soon....Enjoy!

We had another swell time in northern Minnesota last weekend for a few days of R & R. We had our first experience exploring the Great River Road while up there and on the way home. Saturday we had a great lunch at Mickey's Diner in St. Paul and took the GRR on the Wisconsin side south of the Twin Cities. Alma, Wisconsin was a cool little town on the GRR. A lock & dam with an active railroad next to it added to the coolness of this little town. All this could be seen 500 feet above town at Buena Vista Park, high on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River and miles of Wisconsin and Minnesota. Saturday night we had a nice stay at the little Lake Motel in Onalaska, WI. Sunday was back & forth along the GRR between Wisconsin & Iowa. We made our final cross back into Wisconsin on a 15 minute ferry ride down the Mississippi that dropped us off in Cassville, WI. I have to admit the GRR in northern Minnesota is less than inspiring, but when you get south of the Cities, that's where it really gets photogenic. All of Jennfier's snapshots can be found here. I'm told the ferry pics will be up soon....Enjoy!

Pat,

Another great adventure, and enjoyed Jennifer's photos, as always. 'Ole Paul sure gets around!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Great photos, Jennifer. Thanks for sharing....Bliss

Your photo's are getting me fired up for doing something - like writting up the Memphis-Blytheville day trip (more like a couple hours trip) about 2 months back. I was following the 1926 route from downtown Memphis to downtown Blytheville (around here it's pronounced "Bly-ville"!!)

Most of the trip was U S 61, the Great River Road - some of it was "what was 61", but has been by-passed, but it still in great shape and used.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Your photo's are getting me fired up for doing something - like writting up the Memphis-Blytheville day trip (more like a couple hours trip) about 2 months back. I was following the 1926 route from downtown Memphis to downtown Blytheville (around here it's pronounced "Bly-ville"!!)

Most of the trip was U S 61, the Great River Road - some of it was "what was 61", but has been by-passed, but it still in great shape and used.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

Well, quit the promising and start the writin' :)

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

We made our final cross back into Wisconsin on a 15 minute ferry ride down the Mississippi that dropped us off in Cassville, WI.

I liked the photos. I haven't been on a car ferry for 27 years (Lake Champlain: Port Kent, NY to Burlington, VT)... maybe I should plan a trip where I will need to do that.

Chris