American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

A Winner For The American Road Geocache And Treasure Hunt!

Geocacher

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Member Chris Rowland has correctly identified the location of the American Road Geocache and Treasure Hunt hidden treasure! It is hidden in the Beacon Rock State Park on the Columbia River in Washington State. He will receive the grand prize!

Members mattinwilmington and Dave Reese were closing in quickly on the site and were just miles away when Chris nosed them out, so they will receive honorary mention prizes as well.

We will be in touch with the winners, and thanks to everyone who played!

Geocacher

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Member Chris Rowland has correctly identified the location of the American Road Geocache and Treasure Hunt hidden treasure! It is hidden in the Beacon Rock State Park on the Columbia River in Washington State. He will receive the grand prize!

Members mattinwilmington and Dave Reese were closing in quickly on the site and were just miles away when Chris nosed them out, so they will receive honorary mention prizes as well.

We will be in touch with the winners, and thanks to everyone who played!

Geocacher

Dang! If you guys had just worked a little faster, maybe I could have found this last week when I was in the neighborhood :)

Congratulations Chris. Nice job.

Dang! If you guys had just worked a little faster, maybe I could have found this last week when I was in the neighborhood :)

Congratulations Chris. Nice job.

Denny & Chris,

Yah, I had a similar thought! We were just across the river, but it would have been a long swim!

Good guessing on everyone's part!

Chris, how did you figure it out?

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Chris, how did you figure it out?

The hint about "paralleling" a signed U.S. highway for miles made me stop and think 'why would a highway parallel a signed U.S. highway for so long, and be near a body of water? That's what made me guess the Columbia River in round 4, which meant I knew they were talking about Washington 14...

Also, I knew it had to be in a state park, not a national park, so I checked out all of the state parks in Washington in that corridor... I saw that Beacon Rock had a Lewis & Clark connection, so I made a leap of faith.

I still never found the hint in the store--I hunted around but had no idea what I would be looking for. Did anyone else find a hint there?

Chris

Edited by Chris Rowland

The hint about "paralleling" a signed U.S. highway for miles made me stop and think 'why would a highway parallel a signed U.S. highway for so long, and be near a body of water? That's what made me guess the Columbia River in round 4, which meant I knew they were talking about Washington 14...

Also, I knew it had to be in a state park, not a national park, so I checked out all of the state parks in Washington in that corridor... I saw that Beacon Rock had a Lewis & Clark connection, so I made a leap of faith.

I still never found the hint in the store--I hunted around but had no idea what I would be looking for. Did anyone else find a hint there?

Chris

Not me, Chris. Was there a t-shirt from the park in there????

• 2 weeks later...
WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

I've been so busy enjoying my new autographed edition of American Road (Becky was so kind to send me a back issue that I did not have), that perhaps I may have been distracted and missed the next treasure hunt. Will there be another? I hope so. There are at least a dozen more back issues that I need to win for my collection...

Chris