American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Grand Army Of The Republic Highway Signs

rudkipon66

I happened to come across a Grand Army of the Republic sign at a flea market in Earl, WI. I don't know if it is an original or not; it looks to be fairly old, but there is not any kind of state highway dept notation on it..as the picture of the sign (with my ugly mug) indicates, it is not square. If anybody has any information on these signs, I would appreciate it...slan go foill, Kip

post-707-1218506042_thumb.jpg

I happened to come across a Grand Army of the Republic sign at a flea market in Earl, WI. I don't know if it is an original or not; it looks to be fairly old, but there is not any kind of state highway dept notation on it..as the picture of the sign (with my ugly mug) indicates, it is not square. If anybody has any information on these signs, I would appreciate it...slan go foill, Kip

Kip,

US 6 carries or carried that designation. I recall seeing that type of sign, probably in Nevada or Utah (but it may have been in eastern California at the western end of US 6). The fact that I did not see one on Ebay suggests that yours is authentic.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

6 is still posted with GAOTR signs through Indiana, but I'm pretty sure ours are rectangular. Regardless, I'm a bit jealous of your find, Kip!

I did find a page that showed one of the signs in Indiana... you're right--they are rectangular, but have the same border shape:

inus6_2.JPG

Chris

I believe that any signs I've personally seen were rectangular but apparently the cutout style was used in Ohio once upon a time. The photo HERE was sent to me by Carol Ruth. She told me the photo was taken around Coudersport, Ohio. I believe the date stamp (FEB 25 2002) is correct so the sign was still standing in 2002 and may still be.

Thanks for the pic! There are some clear differences between my sign and the sign in the pic, especially the star in the middle and hte US 6 designation at the bottom...the "of the republic" lettering is slightly different...on the other hand. the cut of the sign appears to be the same as what I have. The sign I have appears to be "old" but "how old" I cannot say...the metal on the back is silver, with some rust...again, no state/fed dot designation...again, thanks to all for the inspiration, and keep it coming! Slan go foill, Kip

Thanks for the pic! There are some clear differences between my sign and the sign in the pic, especially the star in the middle and hte US 6 designation at the bottom...the "of the republic" lettering is slightly different...on the other hand. the cut of the sign appears to be the same as what I have. The sign I have appears to be "old" but "how old" I cannot say...the metal on the back is silver, with some rust...again, no state/fed dot designation...again, thanks to all for the inspiration, and keep it coming! Slan go foill, Kip

You may want to post in the Route 6 sub-forum or PM Russ Lombard from the US Route 6 Tourist Assn. He may be able to shed some additional light on your awesome find.

Thanks for sharing!

Becky

Anybody know who the GAR were? How about the UCV? Very Historical.

You may want to post in the Route 6 sub-forum or PM Russ Lombard from the US Route 6 Tourist Assn. He may be able to shed some additional light on your awesome find.

Thanks for sharing!

Becky