American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Sad to report the passing of a true sweetheart of Route 66, Fran Eickhoff. Fran had owned the Route 66 Lounge in Cuba, MO for several years before retiring. She was an active member and an incredible asset to the Route 66 Association of Missouri. Many of us here on the American Road forum were fortunate enough to know Fran quite well and were fortunate enough to call her a friend. She was also a member of our online family here at the American Road forum, under screen name "fran66". She last stopped by here in March to let us know how she was doing. Viewing will be Monday, August 11 from 5-8 PM at Britton Funeral Home in Cuba, Missouri and Mass is scheduled for Tuesday the 12th at 10:00 AM at Holy Cross Church in Cuba.

I was privileged to know Fran for some 12 years, having first met her at the 1996 Missouri Route 66 Motor Tour. We almost had her for our American Road forum's "Cool Roads Cruise" last November, but unfortunately she had to back out because of her health.

So long dear friend......we'll see you down the road!

june2004117.JPG

Yep, Fran was one of the great ones. Though obviously weakened, she definitely enjoyed the festival in Litchfield in June and doubly enjoyed tending the booth for her beloved Missouri Association. I met her no more than four or five years ago but she made an impression immediately and I've got a bunch of good memories. She will be missed.

• 2 weeks later...