American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Dueling Conferences In Albuquerque - September

This September Albuquerque is hosting two roadside related conferences at the same time in September! The conferences have separate venues and activities.

The Society for Commercial Archeology presents Southwest Detours - Roadside Culture in New Mexico, September 10 - 13. "The conference site is the Hotel Blue at 717 Central Ave in downtown Albuquerque (www.thehotelblue.com ). Opened in 1966 as the Downtowner Motel, Hotel Blue is located on historic 66 within walking distance of downtown sites including the Kimo Theater. Hotel amenities include continental breakfast and wired high-speed internet. Hotel reservations must be made by August 10. Reservations can be made directly using the Hotel Blue website reservation form. Under "Rate Information", select "SCA Convention" on the drop down menu. You may also call for reservations at 877-878-4868."

Conference Registration - (now late) is $225 for members and and $270 for non-members which includes a one-year membership. You can pay by PayPal at the website: www.sca-roadside.org Also - the home page has links for all the conference details and to download a registration form.

* Wed. Sept. 10 - Opening Receptions and Silent Auction - Kimo Theater

* Thurs. Sept 11 - Bus Tour along Route 66 to Gallup, NM (includes tour book and lunch at El Rancho)

* Fri. Sept. 12 - Symposium and Paper Sessions, includes lunch at Villa Di Capo

* Sat. Sept. 13 - Bus Tour to Mountainair and Socorro, NM (US 60, includes tour guide and lunch in the Mountainair at the Pop Shafer Hotel, Restaurant and Curio Shop)

Preserving the Historic Road is celebrating it's 10th Anniversary with it's 6th biennial conference in Albuquerque, from September 11-14 - Preserving the Historic Road Conference in New Mexico--The Land of Enchantment. " Preserving the Historic Road conference began in 1998 with the idea of bringing together transportation professionals and historic preservationists to discuss the plight of the nation's historic roads. Since that first gathering in Los Angeles, a biennial conference has grown showcasing issues of identification, preservation and management for historic roads in the United States and internationally. The four-day conference is structured around educational sessions, general sessions and field tours to historic roads' sites. Conference sessions address issues of highway engineering and technology for historic roads, highway safety, historic preservation strategies, roadside history, and highway policy and management. A popular feature of the conference is the "Friday Movie Night" where vintage highway construction and training films are screened. The conference is designed to facilitate dialogue and debate among attendees, and generous opportunities are provided for conversation and information sharing. "

" Meeting space and conference facilities for Preserving the Historic Road 2008 will be at the Hotel Albuquerque Old Town. Our host facility provides a setting rich in regional architecture and art, gardens and comfortable public spaces -- all just steps from Albuquerque's historic 18th-century plaza and cathedral."

Here's the link for the hotel: http://hhandr.com/alb_main.php

Early bird conference registration thru August 11 is $396, afterwards $469.

* Thurs. Sept 10 - 3 different tours and a field session

* Fri. Sept. 11 - Presentation at the Kimo Theater including Keynote Speaker - Michael Wallis, then after break - concurrent presentations at the Hotel Albuquerque follows, includes lunch. Later - Friday Night Movie Night

* Sat. Sept 12 - More presentations at the Hotel Albuquerque, includes continental breakfast; closing Keynote by Chester Liebs, Preservation Scholar, author of Main Street to Miracle Mile; optional Route 66 After Dark Tour includes dinner.

* Sunday Sept 13 - 2 different tours

For complete details follow the conference links at: http://www.historicroads.org/sub7_1.htm

I'll be going to the SCA Conference if I can get off from work - this includes a road trip there and back, and I hope to meet some of you folks in Albuquerque. I'm thinking of taking Route 66 there and maybe US 54 back.

Can anyone recommend any restaurants in Albuquerque?

I will be bringing postcards, maps, brochures and books for sale or trade - more info later (this will include 100s of my duplicate historic Route 66 and Lincoln Highway postcards)

Regards,

Russell Rein aka ypsi-slim

Vice President, Lincoln Highway Association

Can anyone recommend any restaurants in Albuquerque?

Lots of cool places but my #1 would be the Frontier Restaurant for great food and cool ambiance. Try the salsa verde on whatever you get.

http://www.frontierrestaurant.com/

I have a pic of it on my conference announcement:

http://brianbutko.wordpress.com/2008/08/05...ferences-in-sw/