American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Skies Clear For Famed Traveler

After weeks of nearly continuous cloud cover on the Washington Coast, KtSotR has ordered up blue skies for the arrival of famed Ohio traveler DennyG. In cooperation with NOAA the sky is to be clear on the Olympic Peninsula and along the Washington Coast for the travels of Mr. G this week.

Highs will be in the 60’s and winds will be light to moderate. Denny can report back to his buddies in the Midwest that Washington State is blue, cool, and beautiful all summer long…at least so far as he knows. ;)

If the river don’t rise, Mr. G & I will connect for a brief tour of the eastern section of the famed Columbia River Highway between Hood River and The Dalles, including the hairpin turns of the infamous Rowena Grade. Assuming we survive to report, I will bid him adieu as he braves the road to Mt Hood, 11,245 ft high volcano, which should be displayed in her full splendor.

The question here is whether a “boy” from Ohio can handle the elevations. The Rowena Grade is said to have a greater elevation change then all the roads in Ohio combined. Is that true? :rolleyes:

Ohio's Campbell Hill at 1,549 glorious feet is the crowning glory of that fair state, being the highest “hill” in Ohio. With all due respect to “hills,” .......in Oregon and Washington we call 1,500 feet a bump. Welcome Denny! :P

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

The question here is whether a “boy” from Ohio can handle the elevations. The Rowena Grade is said to have a greater elevation change then all the roads in Ohio combined. Is that true? :rolleyes:

Don't know about Denny but I'm confident his F.I. Vette will handle the altitude with no problem.

Hope you guys have a great cruise. Looking forward to the reports....Bliss

...KtSotR has ordered up blue skies...

And they are certainly appreciated. I've been a bit busy but am now "on the road" (and still busy) and have the first trip stuff posted. Drop by http://www.dennygibson.com/seasfo08/index.htm to take a look.

I also appreciate the info on various elevations and hereby challenge all forum members to follow my example and scale the highest point in each of your own states. :D

[Don't know about Denny but I'm confident his F.I. Vette will handle the altitude with no problem.

Hope you guys have a great cruise. Looking forward to the reports....Bliss

I'd love to have the 'Vette here but this is a fly and drive so I'm in a little red rented roadboat. To be honest, even though it's a size up from what I reserved, the Ford Fusion is hardly a boat but I'm sure no one expected me to pass up a bad pun opportunity.

I'd love to have the 'Vette here but this is a fly and drive so I'm in a little red rented roadboat. To be honest, even though it's a size up from what I reserved, the Ford Fusion is hardly a boat....

A Chevy guy crusin' a Ford?

F - fix

O- or

R- repair

D- daily

Have a great time anyway....Bliss

A Chevy guy crusin' a Ford?

F - fix

O- or

R- repair

D- daily

Have a great time anyway....Bliss