American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

South Dakota Considers Charging Drivers On How Much They Drive

Jennifer

I read this story this morning and thought everyone here might be interested. South Dakota is considering a tax based upon the amount of mileage you drive on their roads. A device would be installed in vehicles to track usage.

Discuss!

READ THE ARTICLE HERE:

South Dakota Considers Charging Drivers on How Much they Drive

I read this story this morning and thought everyone here might be interested. South Dakota is considering a tax based upon the amount of mileage you drive on their roads. A device would be installed in vehicles to track usage.

Discuss!

READ THE ARTICLE HERE:

Jennifer,

That is an interesting concept, but certainly not new. Obviously we have toll roads and bridges already where we charge on a user basis. And I see more inclination now to fund roads (e.g. toll roads) through user related taxes. Someone has to pay for the roads, and the question is who.

I do wonder how a direct per mile tax is much different than a gas tax. Obviously a gas tax is also a whole lot related to how far you drive. And as a state, it is charged to out of state travelers as well as residents, unlike a per mile tax. Of course I can imagine an entry station at the border where trucks and autos are fitted with a mileage meter which is read and returned on your way out of state!

Our state has faced a similar problem in that we passed a law that eliminated a licensing tax based on vehicle value, so now everyone pays the same (flat tax?). The obvious effect of a licensing tax that is adjusted to vehicle value is that it charges the rich more than the poor (in the jargon, it was progressive). Without a value based licensing tax, the state has turned to a higher gas tax, which is not progressive. So the poorer pay relatively more than they did before. And users pay more.

Taxation is always interesting to me, because we have no clear premise any longer as to what is “fair” other than “mine should be less.” :lol:

Do we charge on the basis of use? So should your house burn down, should you pay the full actual cost of the fire department?

Should the tax system be geared to ability to pay? So those who have more pay more?

Or is a “flat tax” fair

If you are rich, a flat tax is very appealing. If you don’t use a service (schools, roads, etc) as much as others, than a use tax seems like a good idea. And as a poor guy, I like taxes geared to ability to pay.

You asked for a discussion…..that was a monolog….but I’m interested in what we think is “fair” and the consequences of different ways to fund roads.

We could even discuss the days when roads were supported by the farmer whose property they passed, or when they were the sole responsibility of counties, or when there was a day a year everyone in town was required to work on local roads, or pay a “road tax.”

Why not sell the state road system to Exxon or Shell and let them run it? Now there is a real idea! I know I'm tired of all the political yabber about roads and infrastructure. Lets let the 'ole "free enterprise system" take over. Isn't that called vertical integration in the business world? Own the roads and the fuel supply. I know Ford and General Motors can't afford it, but the last time I heard the oil companies justifying their billons in profits they were saying they needed the billions for future infrastructure....what better than to own the roads themselves?

Call it the Keep the Shell on the Road plan!

Do you think I have finally snapped? :D:rolleyes:

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Here in Tennessee we don't have a state income tax - yet, which is fine with me. We do have a rather high sales tax - I think it's up to around 9%. But I don't mind because everybody pays it according to how much you buy.

If Tennessee ever went to a use tax, as S. Dakota is proposing, and figured a way to apply to ALL vehicles using Tennessee roads, they could retire the state debt within 6 months from trucks alone!!!!

In any event I don't see how a road use tax could be applied to transient vehicles - we American Roadies probably know of many different ways to sneak into - and out of - a state on roads not covered by a "stop-and-get-your-meter" booths. :D Of course there are some road blocks - for example to cross the Mississippi River here in West Tennessee there are, for example, only a couple of bridges - two in Memphis and one in Dyersburg.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

If Kentucky did that, I'd have to raise my apprasial fees. I'm an appraiser in Kentucky and between I, and my super we log 1,000s of miles a year simply because people can't bring their houses to us to appraise.

If they did such, they <I>have to have exceptions</I> Much like the gas ration stamps of the 40s. Some of us have to be in the car to make a living.

- Kc

Discuss!

READ THE ARTICLE HERE: