American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Das Awkscht Fescht

Dave Reese

Anyone who is within driving range of Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley this weekend should stop by Macungie Park on Route 100 west of Allentown. This is the 45th year of one of America's largest car show. You can see some details at of this year's show, featuring the DeSoto cars. The flea market, craft tents, and food booths are great as well, but it is the great location with so many special cars that drove the American roads over many years that make this event so special. You can see me and TR3B arriving last year for the Saturday show on YouTube at about the 2 minute 40 second mark. I will be driving the Triumph there again Friday and Saturday this weekend, and then will work the America On Wheels museum tent on Sunday. If you stop in, please say "Hi".

Edited by Dave Reese

Got that right Dave,

I know exactly where it is. Used to drive up or down Rt 100 from Exton to Upper Macungie, to visit customers for work. That show has been on my to-do list for a couple years now. A dream "Guys night out" with by pal Bill. He & I go to Car Shows and Stockcar Races together, (when our wives let us out). I could easily handle "Double Duty". Macungie all day Saturday and Grandview Saturday night for some Dirt Track fun!

... Chris

Well, the weekend is over. I posted a few of my hundreds of Awkscht Fescht photos on-line. You can either just peruse the photos as they are, or go to the 2008 Das Awkscht Fescht album to see the thumbnails to click, or watch a slideshow in the order of the three days of the show. Lots of different cars to have driven on the American Road...

Thanks for posting the photos Dave. I especially loved the Gremlin photo. Our neighbors across the street had one when I was a young lad.....that photo took me back to 1974! :)

Well, the weekend is over. I posted a few of my hundreds of Awkscht Fescht photos on-line.

. . . . Lots of different cars to have driven on the American Road...

Thanks for those, I enjoy seeing them.

The photo labeled "Bathtub", is a 1951 Nash Statesman. The owner has brought it to our local cruise night a couple times. I think it is a beautiful thing. And a very rare piece, IF you've got the garage to hold it. That car is just HUGE!!! . . . I once helped guide him as he backed into a tight parking space. There is just no seeing out the back of that car!

Dave,

Beautiful photos!

Boy they sure brought back the recollections. I think I lubed or filled most of them up at one time or another in the 50's.

Eyrobic's comments are right on about the Nash. And so is your title. Even as a kid we called that Nash an upsidedown bathtub when it came out.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Roadmaven - I particularly liked that color on the Gremlin. I always found AMC cars intriguing as they kept developing some special designs with no $$$ to spend on development.

Eyerobic - That Statesman was there last year too, I believe. The smooth lines of these cars had such a beautiful simplicity.

Keep the Show on the Road - I made sure that the MGA was in there for you too.

Hester-Nec - I have a few cars from the flea market you may be interested in in my photos, but I did not post them in flick'r. I will see if I can find you on AIM today and shoot them over...

Eyerobic - That Statesman was there last year too, I believe. The smooth lines of these cars had such a beautiful simplicity.

I agree with you on the simplicity. Not too disimilar from other cars of the late 40's and early 50's. I'm fond of the late 30's myself. Specifically 1937 for some reason. . . . but I'll save that topic for another day.

I can share 3 more pictures of that Nash, from a gallery I made a few years ago.

The massive scale of this thing is what impressed me the most. Also the paint scheme and general condition are terrific!

Thanks again,

... Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I never got around to posting the dates this year for Das Awkscht Fescht, but it was this past weekend, and this year featured the Ford Thunderbird. If you click the link to my photos you will see the link to a number of photos from this past weekend. It was a beautifully sunny three days of great cars.

Next year join us on PA-100 in Macungie on August 5, 6, and 7 when the featured car is the Chevrolet Camaro. In 2012, the Crosley will be the featured car. Plan ahead and come join us.

I never got around to posting the dates this year for Das Awkscht Fescht, but it was this past weekend, and this year featured the Ford Thunderbird. If you click the link to my photos you will see the link to a number of photos from this past weekend. It was a beautifully sunny three days of great cars.

Next year join us on PA-100 in Macungie on August 5, 6, and 7 when the featured car is the Chevrolet Camaro. In 2012, the Crosley will be the featured car. Plan ahead and come join us.

Dave,

Exceptionally nice photos. You must have had a front row seat! I feel privileged just to see them. What a display!

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

You just had to know I'd toss this in - the gang from the Hudson car club had a blast over there a few years back. Had a pretty good turnout too.

Enjoyed the pics, too.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

Quite a variety of cars there. I don't think I've ever seen a Hummer in a car show and I'm kind of hoping I won't. Loved the row of Metropolitans.

Fortunately, the Hummer only came on Friday. They limit the show to 800 cars on Friday, and the other two days the limit is 1300 cars. Each day is a different show which makes it so much fun.