American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Planning: Indpls, In To Cambridge, Oh On National Rd

I am planning on heading along the National Road this Sunday from Indianapolis, Indiana to Cambridge, Ohio. From there I am going to try to trace old US 21 north to Strasburg, Ohio, where we are going to drop one of our boys off for camp.

We should be passing through Columbus, Ohio around noon on Sunday--do any of you know of a good diner or restaurant in town that would be open on Sunday that we need to visit? Also, coming back home later that night, we should be stopping for dinner in Cambridge, Ohio--any recommendations there?

I may try to see the National Road museum on the way, near Zanesville, and I'm thinking of seeing the Madonna in Springfield. Any other Ohio landmarks along the road I should check out that wouldn't add heavily to our travel time? (I've traveled the Indiana section a few times before and don't need any tips along there for now).

Thanks!

Chris

Any other Ohio landmarks along the road I should check out...

Can Dave Paul spell map? Does mobilene have gravel in his tire treads? The answer is YSS ('Y' bridge in Zanesville and 'S' bridges at Fox Run and Peters Creek:-).

Both the Fox Run and Peters Creek bridges have small parks with some informative signs. The National Road Museum is actually a little east of Zanesville at Norwich and less than a mile east of the museum a brick segment (cleverly named Brick Road) of the NR goes through Norwich. There are a couple of monuments to Ohio's first RECORDED traffic fatality in Norwich which I consider rather silly but I don't think you are allowed to mention Norwich without also mentioning the markers. On the subject of markers, there are actually quite a few original NR stone mile markers along the road that the boys could count along the way.

The Springfield Madonna is easy to see but not easy to stop at when you're eastbound. There is (just) enough room to pull over when headed west. You can turn around at Snyder Park or even park the car and walk to it from Snyder. As you probably know, the Springfield Madonna is the first one dedicated although it's been moved from its original location. Springfield also has a couple of nice museums and a cool F. L. Wright house. One of those museums is in the Pennsylvania House, a restored National Road Inn. Even if you don't want to spend time on the museum this trip, you might want to stop briefly and look over the building & grounds.

If you got a late start and are ready for lunch at Springfield, try Joe's Grill on eastbound US-40. I'm coming up empty on eating places in Columbus but if you hold out to Zanesville, there's Tom's Ice Cream Bowl for lunch or dessert. Especially dessert - they make their own ice cream and roast their own cashews and peanuts.

What you really need is the guide recommended by many (well, RoadDog liked it:-) forum members. They'll mail you one free but you'd not get it in time. If you can possibly do it, I really recommend picking one up near the state line at the Preble County Welcome Center on I-70.

Are you thinking of US-40/NR all the way or I-70 with planned departures for specific attraction?

Near Strasburg and not remotely associated with the NR, is Zoar Village. Definitely worth a look. If not this time, maybe when you pick up your camper.

Chris,

Looks like you're going to be saying Y(e)SS to Ohio!

A couple weeks ago my kids and I went to see the Wright-Patt museum and took 40 all the way. It was ALL I COULD DO to get onto I-75 to head toward the museum rather than just keep going on 40!

I hope you'll take lots of photos and share them here.

jim

Are you thinking of US-40/NR all the way or I-70 with planned departures for specific attraction?

I think the bridges and markers should be good--short and sweet. I actually did order the Ohio NR guide a couple of months ago--it is put together well. There are a lot of items in there, which is why I asked what made the best highlights... I will definitely have the guide with me, although I will be traveling the reverse direction from how it is listed in the guide.

Regarding lunch in Columbus, after some searching, this one kind of leaped out: Tommy's Diner It looks liks a good possibility, plus it has gyros which my wife will like.

The plan is to take US-40 all of the way to Cambridge without touching I-70. We will have to return later that same night, so we'll be taking I-70 back. It'll be a day with over 600 miles by the time we get home.

I will look at Zoar Village for our second trip over there later in the week. Then we'll have a little more time to spare... For that trip, I am considering taking US-36 eastbound, spend the night, and then drive the Lincoln Highway back westbound at least as far as Delphos, Ohio before heading back into Indiana. I have practically zero Lincoln Highway experience, so that should be a good start.

Chris

Edited by Chris Rowland

Tommy's has a good reputation and I thought of mentioning it but embarrassingly have never eaten there.

Another short, sweet, and slightly silly stop is Footprint Rock. It's marked for westbound travelers only by a pretty small brown sign but it's next to a large abandoned gas station and there is a gravel pulloff area eastbound which will help you spot it. At the US-127 intersection just beyond the rock, you'll pass Nickel Saver Cabins on the north and Hines Truck Stop on the south. Both are in the guide but both are more "drive by" than "stop at". After years of being blockaded by cement blocks, the old truck seem to be showing some life as what looks like some sort of bus repair place.

Just in case you don't post a similar query for your Lincoln Highway drive, I want to make sure you're aware of Mike Buettner's online guide.

I've heard good things about Schmidt Haus in Columbus, if you're a fan of German grub. I guess the cream puffs are one of their signature items. Two different types of Reubens to choose from.

We've got this on our list as a day trip. I figure if we can drive 1K miles to Amarillo for a steak dinner, 3 hours for a schnitzel is a walk in the park! :ready2eat:

Ohh! Ohh!! Just thought of a short & sweet stop in Columbus. It's not NR related and is about four blocks south of US-40 but it is unique - and pretty. Check out A Sunday Afternoon On The Island of La Grande Jatte in topiary if you haven't already.

Pat: I've never eaten at Schmidt Haus but they show up at some Cincinnati festivals with their sausages and cream puffs. Tasty.

Ohh! Ohh!! Just thought of a short & sweet stop in Columbus. It's not NR related and is about four blocks south of US-40 but it is unique - and pretty. Check out A Sunday Afternoon On The Island of La Grande Jatte in topiary if you haven't already.

That looks awesome! It's going on the itinerary now...

Chris

Hope you see this before departure or you've decided not to scout out Footprint Rock. I was by there today on my way home from my Dad's (and Annie Oakley Days) and found it a bit farther from US-127 than I remembered. It's about four miles west of 127. Plus, all the pumps, signs, etc. have been removed from the gas station so that only a big (about 1/2 acre) concrete slab remains. The most visible marker is a pair of large metal silos on the south side of the road. N39.84153° W84.71018° if that helps.

Hope you see this before departure or you've decided not to scout out Footprint Rock. I was by there today on my way home from my Dad's (and Annie Oakley Days) and found it a bit farther from US-127 than I remembered. It's about four miles west of 127. Plus, all the pumps, signs, etc. have been removed from the gas station so that only a big (about 1/2 acre) concrete slab remains. The most visible marker is a pair of large metal silos on the south side of the road. N39.84153° W84.71018° if that helps.

That matches the coordinates I was able to find for it... we should be by there in the morning to see it in all of its glory! Thanks for the clarification.

Chris