American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Middle Of Us 99 In California

DaleS

There two trees north of Fresno to mark the center of hwy 99 in California. A Palm tree and Deador Ceder were in the center divide of the four lane highway. The Deador Ceder was cut down in the last couple of years and a new one been planted. Check for it as you drive by.

I saw it on California's Gold a few years ago.

There two trees north of Fresno to mark the center of hwy 99 in California. A Palm tree and Deador Ceder were in the center divide of the four lane highway. The Deador Ceder was cut down in the last couple of years and a new one been planted. Check for it as you drive by.

I saw it on California's Gold a few years ago.

Dale,

I doubted that Fresno was half way between Mexico and Oregon on old 99, but it appears to be. I looked at a 1938 map and my eyes suggested that Fresno is too far south. But I guess I was suffering an “optical delusion!” When I rolled my ‘ole faithful map measuring device along the route, Fresno is very near the midpoint.

Which then raises the point of who would take the trouble to plant trees at the mid point?. There must be a story behind the facts.

By the way, since I understand you to be a full time RVer, maybe you could report on the places you are visiting. It sounds like you have the road in your blood!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

• 2 months later...

I saw the story about it on California's Gold program on PBS. A man from Cal Trans was telling about it, so I guess they planted them.

Yeah, I full time in my RV. Next I will show pictures of the wooden road across the Algodones Dunes.

• 6 months later...

As I drove north on Hwy 99 yesterday I took a picture of the trees in the center of the road.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/c...99/Roadtree.jpg

You can bearly see the new Deador Cedar on the other side of the palm tree. There used to be

a taller Deador Cedar a few years ago. Guess it was a hazard and was cut down.

Dale

Dale,

First, thnaks for taking a photo of the storied tree!

As a native Californian, I have probably driven past that tree several times, going back to the 1950’s…if it was there then.

That said, I wanted to share with a waiting world Washington’s midway tree. ;) It is half way between the Canadian border and the Oregon border on I-5 at 47.242, -122.3395 at 138.1 miles from either border.

I have provided a photo from Google street level and a video HERE. Does the California tree shine like ours? :rolleyes::lol:

ARWashTree.jpg

Dave

You have a better tree in Washington, our California tree doesn't shine. Of course I haven't looked it at Google Earth.

On my was back yesterday it was too dark and I couldn't take a picture from the other side.

The picture I posted took a lot of work in PhotoShop to remove the bugs from my windshield.

It came out good for a 70 mph picture. I had to make a quick run back to Sacramento to make

my doctor happy.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/c...9/Roadtree2.jpg

Dale

Edited by DaleS