American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Planning The Us101 Loop & Olympia National Park

Denny, are you planning on getting any farther east than Hood River or The Dalles? If so let me know, I would love to meet you for a burger or just to say hi. I live about 130 miles east of The Dalles............

If you get out this way, let's hook up.

Hutch

What the heck happened to my avatar...............?

I'd love to go burger hunting with an expert but The Dalles is the eastern boundery for this trip.

Denny,

A couple of things that may be worth seeing while you are passing through Leggett:

The Chandelier Tree is on the old alignment of 101 and provided you aren't in a massive RV you can drive through it. It is well marked(My Tundra made it through, just barely, with the mirrors folded back and the antenae scraping the inside of the tree).

Also, further south on the old alignment after it crosses back over 101 are a pair of concrete arch bridges within 1/4 mile of each other. I only caught a glimpse of them, as we had just gotten back on the highway, but they may be worth taking a look at.

There is not much in the way of lodging in the Legget area so you should plan on either Garberville or Fort Bragg.

Cheers,

Roadhound

Thanks. I was aware of the Chandelier Tree and knew it was in that area but haven't staked it out. I'll do that soon and I'll look for those bridges, too.

I had sort of reached the same conclusion about Leggett lodging and am leaning toward Fort Bragg with the preceding night in either Brookings or Hiouchi.

Sheila and I scouted out part of the Olympic Peninsula today to be sure the road was safe and the beer cold for you.

And that is certainly appreciated :) . I had hoped you were off on the big circle but am glad you did get to the coast. Very very nice scenery.

I haven't yet reserved the Quinault River Inn but will definitely do so today. I'll probably add the Adode in Yachats today, too. The nights in between will be at the BW in Cascade Locks and the Snowline Motel in Rhododendron. Timberline Lodge was completely full. Although it lacks the history, I think the Snowline will be just fine and I intend to poke around the Timberline anyway.

The gas station is quite a find. I know that Dunkel's in Bedford, PA, still uses their lube bay. There was a sheriff's cruiser on the rack during a recent stop. At a full service station in Trenton, NJ, I walked through the garage to the restroom and walked fifty years into the past. The restroom was a stool in a walled off corner and there was at least one and maybe two operating lifts along with the belts, pin-ups, etc. I didn't think to look for metal tubs for locating leaks.

A question: I'm considering using I-5 & US-20 to get back to the coast. Pros are it saves half an hour or so and lets me see US-20. Cons are it misses McMinnville and uses an expressway. Thoughts?

A question: I'm considering using I-5 & US-20 to get back to the coast. Pros are it saves half an hour or so and lets me see US-20. Cons are it misses McMinnville and uses an expressway. Thoughts?

Denny,

We often use 20 for the same reason. It will be faster, not just because of the freeway, but also because the route through McMinnville is through an urban area on its eastern section. US20 is nice, but don’t be tempted to take what might appear to be a shortcut (State 34). It is as crooked as a snake, narrow, up and down, and better taken on a motorcycle.

You will miss a few miles of nice coastal scenery, but there will be plenty more along your route. You hit the coast at Newport. Newport is a modern coastal city, but down on the bay it has a nice old town, and on the point, a little lighthouse…and of course the bridge. In fact it is a good alternative to Yachats. Yachats is quiet and small, whereas Newport is more the tourist town with a lot more activity.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

I'd love to go burger hunting with an expert but The Dalles is the eastern boundery for this trip.

LOL ...... :D There is a place called the Burger Ranch on the main drag in almost downtown The Dalles. It has a decent burger. If we weren't going to be moving, it would be worth a trip to say hi and have one. However, the move is going to keep me tied down for several weeks.

Hutch

We often use 20 for the same reason.

Alrighty. I've booked the Quinault River Inn and the Adobe Resort and been reassured on using US-20. I guess I can at last return this thread to its original purpose. :)

Dave, I'm really counting on connecting with you & Sheila on the 6th.

LOL ...... :D There is a place called the Burger Ranch on the main drag in almost downtown The Dalles. It has a decent burger. If we weren't going to be moving, it would be worth a trip to say hi and have one. However, the move is going to keep me tied down for several weeks.

Hutch

If you're looking for a break, I (hopefully we) will be in The Dalles sometime on the first Wednesday in August.