American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Another "thank You"... (ara & Spirit)

beemerchef

Hell's Backbone road and Bridge truly have been the icing on the cake after reading its history, geological formation and riding it so far a couple times... as there will be more!

I just want to "Thank" the Forum for awakening those experiences truly never thought about before... as it was always beyond the right shoulder or the left shoulder!

I have written about it on my Blog... expect a bit more traffic!... as I hope others will also slow down and take it all in by reading this great Forum.

Be well... Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef

Hell's Backbone road and Bridge truly have been the icing on the cake after reading its history, geological formation and riding it so far a couple times... as there will be more!

I just want to "Thank" the Forum for awakening those experiences truly never thought about before... as it was always beyond the right shoulder or the left shoulder!

I have written about it on my Blog... expect a bit more traffic!... as I hope others will also slow down and take it all in by reading this great Forum.

Be well... Ara & Spirit

Ara,

It’s great that you find the forum a positive thing, and judging by the fact that your posts are the most popular on the forum, the feeling must be mutual!!

I have greatly enjoyed your travels. I enjoyed your musing about “the road.” We have improved them so much in freeways there is no connection any longer between the person and the setting…unless you do what you are doing. That is why here we love the old roads. They were a part of the land and followed its contours, dips and rises. You stopped beside the road for a drink of cool water, or to greet a fellow traveler. Try that on a freeway!!

The old road engages you in a conversation you feel physically and emotionally. You know this very well. Not everybody does.

You thoughts of going to Southern California or Baja intrigue me. I can easily see you enjoying Baja, in fact it might be a terrific adventure. And Southern California outside the LA/ San Diego sphere of influence can be wonderful. I’ll withhold my opinions of the LA/San Diego complex itself because you might try it, and I might see it differently through your eyes. (I grew up there, and I have lived there a few times in the past.)

I have pondered the idea of you cooking at a small “burger joint” and wondered if the owner/ manager would take advantage of the opportunity. I can understand why she might not, as you may move on soon. But what a kick to get a great meal by surprise in Bolder!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

I could not have said it better Dave! The back roads become Home... where time suddenly stops and yes, much chatting goes on mixed in with also the aquaintance of other travelers! They have taken a Life of their own...

The kitchen in Boulder?... It is always complex when someone else owns it! Better to leave it alone... go in and go out... keep it simple!

And "thank you" for your generosity... we will make it, the Journey will not stop... whatever it takes! You are very kind.

Be well... Ara & Spirit

Ara, at various times I've thought of you as a photographer, chef, biker, philosopher, escapist, historian, or explorer and I'm pretty sure I've been right every time. If this forum has provided a little energy for one or more of those roles and maybe a little nudge for the Journey, I am immensely pleased.

You should be... roads as I have written have taken a different Life! As #12 from Boulder to Torey, which we just rode these past days, summit +/-9000 feet, was not paved till 1986! For that reason there are still many other dirt roads rideable for us. We will be going back soon to talk to the Host at the summit (Welcome Center!!!) who has been returning for the past 9 years... He has many stories to tell me... will report it all of course! The Gorge in Capitol Reef is another one that was carved in 1935!... (I think...). Incredible road... we were just on it at 5:30am this morning... as slowly the sun rays made their way painting the canyon walls in more colors than you can imagine. #12, #24 and #89 are just so incredible...

You guys are great and I thank you... I think Spirit does too!!!

332049032_irL5U-L.jpg

A simple Sunrise this morning in the Gorge... but you had to be there, the picture is only a picture...

Be well, Ara & Spirit