American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Saskatchewan And Back

I just completed posting the write-up of our family's trip the past two weeks from Indianapolis, Indiana to Regina, Saskatchewan and back:

Saskatchewan 2008

My wife did most of the writing--she is a more interesting writer than I am...

We headed out of Indianapolis on the old Michigan Road/Dixie Highway, following Lake Michigan on US-31, over the Mackinac Bridge to Sault Ste. Marie. We then headed across the length of the Upper Peninsula, around Lake Superior and through the northwoods of Minnesota. We skirted Lake of the Woods, and headed to Winnipeg, Manitoba. We avoided the Trans-Canada highway from there to Regina, Saskatchewan, enjoying some nice gravel and dirt highways.

While in Regina, we took the Corner Gas tour. If you haven't seen this television program, you really should! It has been the most popular program in Canada for over 5 years now. It is broadcast in the states on WGN and we are huge fans.

On the way back, we took what they call the "Can-Am Highway" which turns into US-52 at the border with North Dakota, and pretty much followed US-52 back to Indianapolis (the shadow of the hypotenuse!).

Anyway, read along and enjoy the trip with us. I haven't geotagged the 365 photos yet...

Chris

I just completed posting the write-up of our family's trip the past two weeks from Indianapolis, Indiana to Regina, Saskatchewan and back:

Saskatchewan 2008

My wife did most of the writing--she is a more interesting writer than I am...

We headed out of Indianapolis on the old Michigan Road/Dixie Highway, following Lake Michigan on US-31, over the Mackinac Bridge to Sault Ste. Marie. We then headed across the length of the Upper Peninsula, around Lake Superior and through the northwoods of Minnesota. We skirted Lake of the Woods, and headed to Winnipeg, Manitoba. We avoided the Trans-Canada highway from there to Regina, Saskatchewan, enjoying some nice gravel and dirt highways.

While in Regina, we took the Corner Gas tour. If you haven't seen this television program, you really should! It has been the most popular program in Canada for over 5 years now. It is broadcast in the states on WGN and we are huge fans.

On the way back, we took what they call the "Can-Am Highway" which turns into US-52 at the border with North Dakota, and pretty much followed US-52 back to Indianapolis (the shadow of the hypotenuse!).

Anyway, read along and enjoy the trip with us. I haven't geotagged the 365 photos yet...

Chris

Thanks Chris, I needed a dose of Saskatchewan.

Our family did two trips there from California in the last 5 years. My father was born and raised in a little town east of Saskatoon called Quill Lake and I have a cousin that lives in Saskatoon and is the sole remaining family member living in Saskatchewan. The last trip up in 2006 was special because it was Quill Lake's 100 year anniversary and not only did we make it up for the big parade but my father and a few of his brothers were there as well.

Oh, and Corner Gas...ever since that trip in '06 we have been fans.

Roadhound

Thanks Chris, I needed a dose of Saskatchewan.

My wife and I really liked it there... Regina seemed like it would be an okay place to live. I really loved the prairies and the sky. And of course everywhere you look you get two-lane roads!

Of course, I didn't visit in winter. Our friends up there talked about how cold it gets and how much snow they get (running out of places in the yard to store it), but that the roads are always passable and everyone is expected at work every day. I can't even say that about Indianapolis--about once every year or two I can't get my car out of the neighborhood...

Chris

My wife and I really liked it there... Regina seemed like it would be an okay place to live. I really loved the prairies and the sky. And of course everywhere you look you get two-lane roads!

Of course, I didn't visit in winter. Our friends up there talked about how cold it gets and how much snow they get (running out of places in the yard to store it), but that the roads are always passable and everyone is expected at work every day. I can't even say that about Indianapolis--about once every year or two I can't get my car out of the neighborhood...

Chris

The Saskatchewan natives say there are 2 seasons there...Winter and Road Repair.

I've never been there in winter either and there is nothing appealing to a California boy about -40 degree winters.

I do feel a connection to the open prairie though but it is to bad that the old wooden grain elevators are slowly dissappearing from the landscape.

SC10_38_09_001.jpg

Chris,

I have only done the first 8 entries but so far it looks like a great family vacation! And you folks seem to have a thing about the world's largest!! B) Hummmm.

Judging form what I have seen so far, Michigan has the world's largest pie pans, cherry pies, picnic tables, stc. Is this where Paul Bunyun came from?

Fun Stuff, and a great way to save the vacation for the kids to see again 20 years from now.

Back to more after I mow the lawn...

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

The Saskatchewan natives say there are 2 seasons there...Winter and Road Repair.

I've never been there in winter either and there is nothing appealing to a California boy about -40 degree winters.

I do feel a connection to the open prairie though but it is to bad that the old wooden grain elevators are slowly dissappearing from the landscape.

SC10_38_09_001.jpg

Rick,

A darn near perfect image...a real prize winner! I love it! It really captures the mood!

Dave

I have only done the first 8 entries but so far it looks like a great family vacation! And you folks seem to have a thing about the world's largest!! B) Hummmm.

Judging form what I have seen so far, Michigan has the world's largest pie pans, cherry pies, picnic tables, stc. Is this where Paul Bunyun came from?

According to Wikipedia, Paul Bunyan has been popular in the northern region of the United States, around Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Based on the number of "world's largest" things you will see on my trip, that seems to fit in. I think Minnesota has the largest collection of giant things... It's much different when traveling in other areas of the country--I think it's a cultural thing they have up there.

Chris

According to Wikipedia, Paul Bunyan has been popular in the northern region of the United States, around Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Based on the number of "world's largest" things you will see on my trip, that seems to fit in. I think Minnesota has the largest collection of giant things... It's much different when traveling in other areas of the country--I think it's a cultural thing they have up there.

Chris

Chris,

I have now reached the border...and it looks to me like everything is bigger than life along the way! Fish, worms, bears, you name it! Did you set out to find these things, or did they just happen to be on your route?

And maybe I missed it, but how did you folks choose accomodations? I don't see the standard franchise places, nor an AAA sign, and you mention making reservations....and it looks like you did OK. So what method did you use?

Your resturant stops seem mixed. I was going to kid you and say that Mike was my son, and the waitress was my daughter in law...and that my retirement was invested in the place. :lol: But I couldn't count on everyone appreciating my warped sence of humor. On to Canada...

Dave

I have now reached the border...and it looks to me like everything is bigger than life along the way! Fish, worms, bears, you name it! Did you set out to find these things, or did they just happen to be on your route?

I actually planned the trip with knowing the general route I wanted to take and then using some resources such as Roadside America (which I have been a fan of for many years). Their web site now has an interactive map that plops down the little markers of what to see, so that you can just hover over and determine which of the sights along the way look worthy. Many of the 'attractions' we visited on the trip were repeat visits--I took an Excellent Adventure my senior year of high school with my best friend and saw many of the same sights.

And maybe I missed it, but how did you folks choose accomodations? I don't see the standard franchise places, nor an AAA sign, and you mention making reservations....and it looks like you did OK. So what method did you use?

For accommodations, it was a lot of Internet searching. I didn't get any personal recommendations. I tried to pick places that I could find out information on the Internet and had at least a handful of positive reviews on sites such as TripAdvisor or other generic review sites. Some of the smaller motels had sections on their own web sites with 'testimonials' and pictures of the owners, which helped, too. This was the first trip in a long time where I didn't stay at a Comfort Inn in every town--I think it was well worth it. I wish it were easier to do the research ahead of time, though. I've tried AAA, but they often leave out the smaller motels anymore.

Your resturant stops seem mixed.

I picked most of the restaurants in advance, the same way as the motels. I also wanted to stay away from most of the chain restaurants--it makes the trip more memorable. I've definitely been inspired since becoming a part of the American Road community. I tried to find some restaurants that had reviews, or that I found web pages where folks had stopped and had pictures or comments about them. Then of course, I would try searches with the words "Reuben sandwich" and the name of the town, too, of course...

Chris

I'm LOVING the ride! The upper Great Lakes is on top of my favorite areas to travel. It looks as if the boys had a great time. Kudos for showing them how to have a real vacation. :goodjob: Let's hope they pass it on down the road.

I've seen quite a few of the same stops on some of our journeys. Castle Rock was a cool little stop and we spent a good deal of time there looking through all the stuff. And the walk up to the rock gives the legs quite the workout, eh?

Looks like we missed crossing paths by about 4 days. We passed through Hayward, WI Saturday evening on the 21st, where we picked up US 51 south. Did you happen to log your total miles on the trip? We weren't quite as loaded down on our Minnesota trip, but we got an excellent 38.2mpg in the Corolla, with one tank lasting a whopping 465 miles. Really happy about that. Unfortunately it got banged up in a wreck a week after we got home & is in the body shop awaiting 3 weeks of repairs.

Thanks for the post!

Did you happen to log your total miles on the trip? We weren't quite as loaded down on our Minnesota trip, but we got an excellent 38.2mpg in the Corolla, with one tank lasting a whopping 465 miles. Really happy about that. Unfortunately it got banged up in a wreck a week after we got home & is in the body shop awaiting 3 weeks of repairs.

Why, yes, I do have some stats:

• 3,657 miles

• 126 gallons of gas costing $540.40

• average 28.99 mpg

• cheapest gas: $3.899/gallon in Preston, MN

• most expensive gas: $5.296/gallon in Maryfield, SK (adjusted from $CAD/litre)

Still much cheaper than flying a family of four... flights to Canada are pretty expensive.

Hope your Corolla is as good as new soon :)

Chris

Edited by Chris Rowland

Chris,

That is useful info. It sounds like you are good at planning a trip ahead of time!

And the use of Roadside America as a guide really explains the “bigger than life” roadside goodies! Frankly, I didn’t know there were that many roadside attractions with oversize “things” in the whole country!

I figure that mom and pop restaurants are always “mixed.” The cooks change almost weekly so a good review may last only as long as the cook does.

Our roving member Beemerchef, a four star chef, is cooking at a tiny place in Utah two days a week. I don’t think they are taking advantage of his skills, but I have mused about what would happen if they featured his cuisine when he was there. Of course, he would move on, and the review would change!

I was just describing your trip to Sheila. As I reflected on it, your vacation represents the classic road trip. Mom and Dad take the kids on a trip that visits every curio shop and dinosaur on the road, they eat and sleep in mom and pop restaurants and motels, they visit family and friends along the way, at least one member of the family “clowns around” with the roadside “things”…..it is practically a picture book trip….an almost lost art. Wow!!

I am really enjoying “The Rowland Family’s Excellent Summer Adventure!”

Dave

Why, yes, I do have some stats:

• 3,657 miles

• 126 gallons of gas costing $540.40

• average 28.99 mpg

• cheapest gas: $3.899/gallon in Preston, MN

• most expensive gas: $5.296/gallon in Maryfield, SK (adjusted from $CAD/litre)

Still much cheaper than flying a family of four... flights to Canada are pretty expensive.

Hope your Corolla is as good as new soon :)

Chris

Just for comparison the stats from my 2006 trip from California to Saskatchewan

4194 miles

21.3 MPG Avg

196.9 Gallons costing $417

I don't remember the price but the most expensive gas was in Saskatoon. I gassed up in Malta, Montana before heading into Canada and only needed 1 1/2 fill-ups while I was there. We were sucking fumes when we came back across the border and filled up in Plentywood, Montana on the return trip.

I would need to budget at least $900 in fuel for the same trip today if I were to drive the same vehicle. It would be closer to $1200 for my truck.

Roadhound

I would need to budget at least $900 in fuel for the same trip today if I were to drive the same vehicle. It would be closer to $1200 for my truck.

At least when I was getting that expensive gas, it was Full Service! I wasn't sure I could make it to a larger town, so I turned off of the highway into the little town of Maryfield, and fortunately they had a "Co-op" with one pump that dispensed diesel on one side and unleaded on the other.

2617931055_53733641d9.jpg

I was impressed with the large tank right behind the pump, and pretty glad that driving over the bell hose brought the attendant (looked like he was probably the owner) around to pump my gas for me.

2617931371_20996779ea_m.jpg

The attendant also cleaned my windshield! It was a whole different world for me... I'm usually a 'slide the credit card and take off' kind of driver.

Chris

The attendant also cleaned my windshield! It was a whole different world for me... I'm usually a 'slide the credit card and take off' kind of driver.

Had you needed fuel when in Mackinaw City, you could've had the same experience there. There's a Citgo on the south end of town on the Old US 31 alignment that is full service. They had one guy dispense the gas, and then he and another attendant did the windows. Quite the experience....and you're right, it does send you back to another era.

It was easy work but I just now finished reading "Saskatchewan And Back". It took me several days since I could only spare short stretches of time. Both the report and the adventure were excellent. It was, as KtSotR called it, the "the classic road trip". The kind that once just occurred naturally when a family set out on vacation but which now require considerable planning. It looked as if the boys enjoyed and appreciated the trip as it was happening and I'm betting they'll appreciate it even more as time goes by. And they've learned plenty, too. Once back at school, they'll be able to outbid everybody in the "Did you ever see the world's largest...?" competitions but, more importantly, they also know that real people live in Michigan and Canada. Nice job(s).

And here's some input on the topic of the last few entries: full service gas stations. There is one in my former home town that I visit whenever possible, another in Mount Gilead, OH, and the classic Dunkle's Gulf in Bedford, PA. I recently and accidentally discovered a full service Citco in Trenton, NJ. They're out there. Just not very many. I use them whenever I can but, as everyone has sort of indicated, it's not so much for the service as for the memories.

I was just describing your trip to Sheila. As I reflected on it, your vacation represents the classic road trip. Mom and Dad take the kids on a trip that visits every curio shop and dinosaur on the road, they eat and sleep in mom and pop restaurants and motels, they visit family and friends along the way, at least one member of the family “clowns around” with the roadside “things”…..it is practically a picture book trip….an almost lost art. Wow!!

I am really enjoying “The Rowland Family’s Excellent Summer Adventure!”

Both the report and the adventure were excellent. It was, as KtSotR called it, the "the classic road trip". The kind that once just occurred naturally when a family set out on vacation but which now require considerable planning. It looked as if the boys enjoyed and appreciated the trip as it was happening and I'm betting they'll appreciate it even more as time goes by. And they've learned plenty, too. Once back at school, they'll be able to outbid everybody in the "Did you ever see the world's largest...?" competitions but, more importantly, they also know that real people live in Michigan and Canada. Nice job(s).

Dave and Denny, your comments mean a lot to me! I owe a lot to my wife who helped so dutifully by writing up the trip in the motel rooms and in the car so that we could share it with our friends.

My parents always took our family on trips every year (although not quite as obsessed with roads and funny photos like we are), and that was a big influence on my love of travel. I remember that before I was 10 I would always follow along on my own map and hold the Trip-Tik most of the time... So far my kids don't have the same obsessive love for it that I do, but at least I've tried to plant the seed.

Chris