American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Birthday At The Birthplace?

I have an opportunity to be in Philadelphia over Independence Day but I'm starting to wonder if that's a good idea. I had assumed that the day would be filled with parades, major fireworks, etc. but I've found no evidence of that. The situation has changed from possibly requiring me to rush to reach there on the 4th to requiring some hovering to remain there on the 4th. I'm thinking that I might be better off to spend the 2nd and/or 3rd in Philly and celebrate Independence farther west on the Lincoln Highway. Any one have suggestions at to where or can anyone correct my perception of the lack of major hoorahs in Philly?

I have an opportunity to be in Philadelphia over Independence Day but I'm starting to wonder if that's a good idea. I had assumed that the day would be filled with parades, major fireworks, etc. but I've found no evidence of that. The situation has changed from possibly requiring me to rush to reach there on the 4th to requiring some hovering to remain there on the 4th. I'm thinking that I might be better off to spend the 2nd and/or 3rd in Philly and celebrate Independence farther west on the Lincoln Highway. Any one have suggestions at to where or can anyone correct my perception of the lack of major hoorahs in Philly?

Denny,

Although near by, I have never ventured into Philly on the 4th. But there are fireworks and more there on the date. Check out here for more ideas...

They often have events at Penn's Landing, the Art Museum, and there is to be a wedding at Independence Hall featuring the gentleman who is the normal city Ben Franklin with his bride dressed as Betsy Ross. They are actually getting married with Mayor Nutter presiding and music by Peter Nero and the Philly Pops. I am not sure how open the event will be though.

Good luck with your planning. I want to get down soon to see the Simeon Foundation Museum that just opened this month...great race cars in cool dioramas.

...there is to be a wedding at Independence Hall featuring the gentleman who is the normal city Ben Franklin with his bride dressed as Betsy Ross.

That could be pretty cool but I doubt I'm on the guest list. The link you posted is the first I've seen with an actual time and place for fireworks although I figured there had to be some. Thanks for the tips.

Current thinking is I'll probably visit Philly on Wednesday or Thursday. If I find out something incomparable is happening Friday, I'll try to say around, if not, I'll take a look at Lancaster or York. I actually did look to see if I could work Allentown into this trip so I could get a ride in your McClaren but it didn't work that way.

I actually did look to see if I could work Allentown into this trip so I could get a ride in your McClaren but it didn't work that way.

Sorry to hear that we missed the cut this trip. We will need to send more lobbyists your way in the future.

Have a great trip!

(I do remember one great July 4th in a big city...1976, in London with a band concert of American Music in Hyde Park, and a great fireworks display over the Thames.)

I do remember one great July 4th in a big city...

Me, too. Mine was Washington, DC, 2006. Big parade, fireworks, etc. I thought Philly might be like that.

I'll be in Philly today (Wed) and see what I can learn. The trip so far (including a 1:00 PM drive through Times Square) is at http://www.dennygibson.com/lheast08/

I'll be in Philly today (Wed) and see what I can learn. The trip so far (including a 1:00 PM drive through Times Square) is at http://www.dennygibson.com/lheast08/

Denny,

You are a braver (or more foolish) man than me to drive into Time Square. That is a walking tour for me. Good luck on finding a celebration in Philly. I will be going to the fireworks at the IronPigs baseball game Thursday night here in Allentown.

I really enjoyed your report today...and I look forward to the rest of the holiday report.

The full trip report is here.

This was a fun trip for me to follow. My first two lane trip with Peg was about 10 years ago and included parts of the Lincoln Highway from Gettsburg, but we continued west to Fallingwater and Pittsburg, then went to State College and Boalsburg for the arts festivals. Our son was playing in the Jr. Olympic Volleyball Nationals in New Orleans and did not want parents along as he was a HS sophomore and felt we would get in his way. We dropped him and some teammates at the Harrisburg Airport, and then returned there a few days later to pick them up, so we just did a partial lap of PA instead of going home. Thanks for reviving some very good memories...

Thanks for your daily reports. (as always)

The full trip report is here.

I just finished this one, too. I enjoyed following along. Just a few observations:

• The onion rings at Rutt's Hut looked really tasty

• I drove from the Holland Tunnel across Canal Street to the Manhattan Bridge about 15 years ago in my little Tercel with a busted thermostat. It was on the verge of overheating, crawling along for blocks in the confusing traffic. I was so thankful to get off of Manhattan and over to Long Island where I could get the air flowing through my radiator again! Your descriptions helped me relive the panic I felt!

• Did you go to the Franklin museum beneath Franklin Court in Philadelphia? If so, wasn't the large room full of telephones on posts that are in various states of disrepair pretty depressing?

• Thanks for solving the mystery of 84 Lumber for me! I never would have guessed...

• I like the Wheeling suspension bridge. I need to catch that my next time through there.

Chris

Rutt's is an all around tasty -- and interesting -- place. I'm not a chili fan and didn't try theirs but it's reportedly quite good.

Reliving panic? Always glad to help.

I did do the museum and found it interesting for the most part. I only tried one phone and it worked so I was unaware of any problems. However, that display went to the bottom of my list for other reasons. Finding and entering full ten digit numbers to hear quotes seemed tedious although a couple of young (10-12 year old?) kids seemed to enjoy it. My one selection was Mark Twain and the voice didn't sound at all like my Mark Twain.

Me neither. Work quickly to impress your friends.

Yep, the Wheeling Suspension Bridge is a classic.

• 3 weeks later...

I know that not everyone gets to drive through Manhattan as often as they like and, since I managed to catch a little of the action on my own recent and relaxing cruise, I thought I'd share my first attempt at moving pictures since making a VHS recording of my twelve year old daughter's piano recital awhile back. It's

, it's under a minute, and it could help Chris relive his panic one more time.

It's
, it's under a minute, and it could help Chris relive his panic one more time.

At least there weren't any shots of the temperature gauge showing your car overheating. That probably would have pushed me over the edge!

Chris