American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Home From Litchfield

I'm home from the National Route 66 gathering in Litchfield, Illinois, and my four day journal is available here. There is little doubt that things could have been bigger and better but there is even less doubt that they could have been worse. I was not at the summit but the national aspects I did see (AAAAA, awards banquet, and e-group breakfast) were good to great and the weather was fantastic.

I attended the 2005 affair which was also attached to an existing cruise: the San Bernardino Rendezvous. There were many more tables in the AAAAA area there but I know that a whole lot of the cruisers knew little and cared less about that. I don't know the numbers but I gotta believe that the ratio of AAAAAs to cruising cars was higher at Litchfield than at San Bernardino. Just a little perspective.

I'm home from the National Route 66 gathering in Litchfield, Illinois,

Sorry I missed seeing you and RoadDog Saturday I did see your Vette, however. Enjoyed your cruise journal - another great report.

Six of us cruisers had a fun evening in Farmersville's two saloons. Champ's, an awesome bar and grill there, was recently closed over some lease problem or something like that. Sure missed their hot wings so settled for a garlic pizza at one of the other joints. There were 6 Vettes from Ohio at Art's. One guy said they were on their way to CA on 66 so I'm assuming it was a 6-car caravan.

Will probably see you in Springfield in September (or you could make our motor tour on September 5-6-7); although, 'Lil Red is posted for sale on craigslist.com. Will still have the '77 Monte....Bliss

Sorry I missed seeing you and RoadDog Saturday I did see your Vette, however. Enjoyed your cruise journal - another great report.

Six of us cruisers had a fun evening in Farmersville's two saloons. Champ's, an awesome bar and grill there, was recently closed over some lease problem or something like that. Sure missed their hot wings so settled for a garlic pizza at one of the other joints. There were 6 Vettes from Ohio at Art's. One guy said they were on their way to CA on 66 so I'm assuming it was a 6-car caravan.

Will probably see you in Springfield in September (or you could make our motor tour on September 5-6-7); although, 'Lil Red is posted for sale on craigslist.com. Will still have the '77 Monte....Bliss

As you know, I did see Mary Sue on Saturday. I drove through Farmersville on Friday and Art's looks like a place I need to try out.

Do you know what city the Vettes were from? In the caravan from Joliet, there was a newer Chrysler and a '66 Mustang from Ohio. The Chrysler was from the south side of Cincinnati and the Mustang from near Toledo.

Art's looks like a place I need to try out.

Do you know what city the Vettes were from?

Art's Motel has been totally remodeled and is a cool overnight for only forty bucks. We recommend it.

Sorry, didn't think to inquire about what city the Vettes were from. It was an older group of folks, though, who were having a blast. All of the Vettes were new or near new except for one ragtop that was slightly less new.....Bliss