American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Sights Or Roads To See In Sw Mi Or Nw In

• 2 months later...

Jake, I'm hoping you at least come back to read this apology. I'm also hoping that none of the more frequent posters takes offense when I say that this is the sort of post we need more of. I'm not familiar with the area you traveled but I have to believe that someone here knows something and others (like me) could have 'fessed up to our ignorance sooner. More often than not I do not appreciate responses of the "I know nothing" variety but they do have their uses. A few "I know nothings" would have been a whole lot better than ignoring your post for two months.

It's clearly too late to offer any advise for the drive you've long since completed. I just hope you give the forum another chance. Folks on this forum really do want to see more people enjoy America's roads and there are folks here who really do know something about something and those folks really do enjoy sharing. We just screwed up.

Regulars: Yes, I'm doing some finger wagging but that wagging is intended for me as much as anyone. I think I saw this post originally but felt I had nothing to contribute and brushed it aside. I could easily understand WanderLustJake brushing aside as useless a forum that completely ignored his small request for help on a road trip; The very thing some of us like to think we are here for. Let's try not to let this happen again.

DennyG,

No problem, I knew when I posted that it would be a tough one, figured I'd ask anyways... Trip was more scenic that anticipated. Plenty of roadside architecture if you kept an eye out, Mottville has a couple of real nice old 20's-30's vintage gas stations and a nice (decommissioned) concrete arch bridge. Got a couple of deals on antiques in Allen, where there are quite few stores if that is your interest. Also stopped at the new RV History/Hall of Fame museum in Elkhart IN. They are putting together a nice collection of early campers and motorhomes if that is your interest (one of mine). I didn't realize US-12 was such an old route, auto, carriage, indian path and originally a migrartion route for Mammoths. Better than taking I-94!

Mobilene, what and where is Mt Baldy?

Jason

DennyG,

No problem, I knew when I posted that it would be a tough one, figured I'd ask anyways... Trip was more scenic that anticipated. Plenty of roadside architecture if you kept an eye out, Mottville has a couple of real nice old 20's-30's vintage gas stations and a nice (decommissioned) concrete arch bridge. Got a couple of deals on antiques in Allen, where there are quite few stores if that is your interest. Also stopped at the new RV History/Hall of Fame museum in Elkhart IN. They are putting together a nice collection of early campers and motorhomes if that is your interest (one of mine). I didn't realize US-12 was such an old route, auto, carriage, indian path and originally a migrartion route for Mammoths. Better than taking I-94!

Mobilene, what and where is Mt Baldy?

Jason

Jason,

Looks like you had a great drive....and not even I remember the Mammoths....but maybe saber tooth tiger or two! :D

The early camper and motor home "thing" is gaining popularity. Sounds like a fun interest. I keep looking on Ebay for the old magazines that feature camping, but they don't come up often.

What kind of stuff are you finding in antique stores in your area? I ask because out here they are a dying breed, with only those things you can't sell on ebay getting displayed. I used to find lots of auto and road ephemera, but it is all gone out here. You might still find a 1950's map or two, usually torn, and over priced.

Should I look further east?

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Dave,

The old magazines aren't easy to come by, just have to be persistent in keeping an eye out. I have an interest in the subject due a Great Uncle who built trailers and motorhomes in the 20's and 30's, even have the original patent paperwork! I am on the constant look out for anything related now. I think we are a rarity in that area of interest.

We got an old Sunbeam T-9 toaster (better $$$ than Ebay) and some other old kitchen decor items and a crate and something else for display in the garage. Ebay is both a blessing and a curse. The antique shops around here aren't really that good anymore either. We chanced upon a couple shops that had stuff in Allen MI, but there was still plenty of serious junk that had to be looked over. We've found that if you travel around, you find that different regions will have totally different items from one another. The other strange pattern we noticed is you'll see something you haven't before, than go to another store or mall and see a couple more of the same. Go back in a month or two and find none.

As far as finding road ephemera, few and far between here too. You may chance upon some 50's era, but that is the extent. Back to Ebay we go....

Oh, did you see the two Lincoln Highway signs that sold on Ebay? One of them went for $900 the other was over $700, ouch! My pockets aren't that deep.

Jason