American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Recent Lincoln Highway Road Trip

A friend and I recently traveled the Lincoln Highway as best we could follow it from Philadelphia to the Chicago Area.

We had traveled all of Route 66 over the years and so we have now started to drive other famous highways. We take an annual trip and figure it will take at least two more such trips to compete the Lincoln.

We found it a very worthwhile drive but significantly different than traveling on Route 66. There don't seem to be as many famous spots to see as on R 66. In most areas that we traveled we found great historic Lincoln highways signs, 1926 Cement posts, and some good Lincoln Statues. Also in Ohio there are some really cool brick sections. :D Ohio was very well signed but Indiana was not.

We were surprised the most by what we could "not" find". That is Lincoln Highway memorabila, souvenirs, etc. No Lincoln Highway hats, T-shirts, etc. None anywhere that we could find. :angry: Also a lack of Lincoln Highway museums. On 66 this stuff is at every stop it seems, but not on the Lincoln.

Highlights of the trip - Red Caboose Motel in Strausberg, PA; Dunkle's Gulf Station in Beford, PA; Flight 93 Memorial near Buckstown, PA;, The great bridges in Pittsburgh, PA; The large Teapot in Chester, WV; The NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, OH; The town of Van Wert, OH; The studebaker Museum in South Bend, OH and the 3 blocks in Plainfield, IL where Route 66 and the Lincoln highway are the same road.

We used Brian Butko's book "Greetings from the Lincoln Highway and I highly recommend it to anyone interesetd in the Father Road. :)

etchr66

Sounds like a good trip and I'm sure glad you enjoyed Ohio. As you may be aware, one of those "really cool brick sections" has been threatened by folks wanting to pave over it. It's escaped for the moment but is hardly safe.

Your comments comparing the Lincoln Highway with Route 66 are interesting and the phrase "famous spots" caught my eye. LH people are jealous of 66's fame and 66 people envy the LH's national organization. The LH (and the NOTR and the YT and the OST and the...) have plenty of cool and interesting places - you listed several - that just aren't that well known. Books like Butko's and last year's Wallis & Williamson offering are helping get the word out.

The Red Caboose Motel you mentioned is on my "to do" list. Dunkle's Gulf is on my favorites list. I hope you filled your tank at Dunkle's but, if not, plan on doing it next time through. Their prices are always in line with others in the area so the atmosphere and extra attention won't cost you a thing. Maybe we can keep them in business long enough to become famous.

As Associate Director of the Illinois Lincoln Highway Coalition (management agency for the Illinois Lincoln Highway - a National Scenic Byway), I thought I could point out some points of interest in Illinois. In DeKalb (at the corner of Lincoln Highway and 7th St.), we have an Interpretive Mural for visitors to enjoy, also one to the west in Creston and farther west in Rochelle. We will have 40 more murals within the next 36 months and a brochure printed with all locations and the mural stories.

Aurora houses one of our Interpretive Kiosks in the visitor center at Phillips Park -- 1000 Ray Moses Drive. This kiosk tells the history of the highway and a little story about how it impacted the Aurora area. It also houses a computer that allows the traveler to browse our website: www.drivelincolnhighway.com, send E-postcards, and submit a "travel story" as they enjoy Lincoln Highway through Illinois. You can also pick up a free Lincoln Highway Visitor Guide at this location.

In Dixon, Illinois (at their Welcome Center -- corner of River and Galena Streets) we have an Interpretive Center that gives the visitor a photo opportunity where they can pretend to be one of the Van Buren sisters on an Indian Motorcycle. The exhibit tells of the history and heritage of the highway -- the first transcontinental highway in the U.S. There are also some interactive items allowing children to learn as they touch. The Welcome Center plays a DVD which tells how Illinois Lincoln Highway Coalition came about and why Illinois is the only state on the whole route that has been able to achieve National Scenic Byway status.

Lastly, we are in the process of constructing 20 Interpretive Gazebos along the Illinois Lincoln Highway corridor.

Please know that we are doing our best to get travelers to travel Lincoln Highway in Illinois. Please let me know if you'd like one of our free guides. I hope you continue to travel Lincoln Highway -- good things are coming!

As Associate Director of the Illinois Lincoln Highway Coalition (management agency for the Illinois Lincoln Highway - a National Scenic Byway), I thought I could point out some points of interest in Illinois. In DeKalb (at the corner of Lincoln Highway and 7th St.), we have an Interpretive Mural for visitors to enjoy, also one to the west in Creston and farther west in Rochelle. We will have 40 more murals within the next 36 months and a brochure printed with all locations and the mural stories.

Aurora houses one of our Interpretive Kiosks in the visitor center at Phillips Park -- 1000 Ray Moses Drive. This kiosk tells the history of the highway and a little story about how it impacted the Aurora area. It also houses a computer that allows the traveler to browse our website: www.drivelincolnhighway.com, send E-postcards, and submit a "travel story" as they enjoy Lincoln Highway through Illinois. You can also pick up a free Lincoln Highway Visitor Guide at this location.

In Dixon, Illinois (at their Welcome Center -- corner of River and Galena Streets) we have an Interpretive Center that gives the visitor a photo opportunity where they can pretend to be one of the Van Buren sisters on an Indian Motorcycle. The exhibit tells of the history and heritage of the highway -- the first transcontinental highway in the U.S. There are also some interactive items allowing children to learn as they touch. The Welcome Center plays a DVD which tells how Illinois Lincoln Highway Coalition came about and why Illinois is the only state on the whole route that has been able to achieve National Scenic Byway status.

Lastly, we are in the process of constructing 20 Interpretive Gazebos along the Illinois Lincoln Highway corridor.

Please know that we are doing our best to get travelers to travel Lincoln Highway in Illinois. Please let me know if you'd like one of our free guides. I hope you continue to travel Lincoln Highway -- good things are coming!

ILHC,

Welcome, and thanks for the update on the Lincoln in Illinois! It sounds like you guys are on top of things and moving forward!

I hope to get to the Midwest before too long (just returned from a transcontinental), and I look forward to seeing and enjoying your good work! I have enjoyed the Lincoln along much of its length from mid Nebraska westward, so now it is time to get further eastward

Like etchr66, I have noticed the difficulty in getting good Lincoln Highway materials (guides, etc) along some of the sections I have followed. Of course I own the major works already, and subscribe to AR, but not even these are not always readily avilable enroute.

I hope your management plan includes the promotion and contacts to ensure that when I go to a bookstore in any city in Illinois along the route, I will find a selection of good materials. Can you say this is part of your effort? If you are not doing all you can to ensure that the magazine stands and the bookshelves are well stocked, the management plan is incomplete......in my not always humble opinion. :)

And I should add, I am neither author nor shill for any publication…I am simply one who enjoys the two lane roads and who reads, and will use your kiosks as well!

Welcome again! It sounds like the Lincoln in Illinois is in good hands!

Keep the Show on the Road

Dave

The Red Caboose Motel you mentioned is on my "to do" list. Dunkle's Gulf is on my favorites list. I hope you filled your tank at Dunkle's but, if not, plan on doing it next time through. Their prices are always in line with others in the area so the atmosphere and extra attention won't cost you a thing. Maybe we can keep them in business long enough to become famous.

We did indeed fill our tank at Dunkle's and were pleasantly surprised :D by the gas attentant that came out to fill our tank for us. The gas cost just the same as everywhere else in that region where you have to pump it yourself. He explained that Dunkle's was the only station left in Pennslyvania where they still pump your gas for you. What a treat. :)

There is also a great photo stop at the edge of town at the old Coffee Pot.

etchr66