American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

I know Dave Clark thinks it starts in Chicago and Scott Piotrowski swears its beginning is in LA but for Tod & Buz there is no doubt: Route 66 started in Mississippi -- or maybe it was Kentucky. Whatever. Yesterday I stopped by the place on the Ohio that played the role of a town on the Pascagoula in the first episode of Route 66 the TV show.

A brief visit to Concord, KY, a.k.a., Garth, MS, is up at

http://www.dennygibson.com/DayTrips/Trip18/index.htm

There was one episode where Todd and Buzz brought Route 66 all the way to Maine. It was shot at the resort in Poland Springs, Maine.

I searched for years for Route 66 in Maine - never did find it. :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Thanks for taking this trip! I have several old episodes of Route 66 that I purchased from Columbia House years ago. Aside from meeting Martin Milner a few years ago in Springfield, I also had the chance to meet another cast member from that original episode from "Garth". A gentleman who was a courier where I work one day noticed a couple of 66 items I had around my desk. We then got into a conversation about the TV show and he said that they filmed an episode in the town in Kentucky where he lived. Upon further discussion, it was that same first episode from Concord, and what's even cooler is that he was an extra in the episode. There's a scene where it shows three or four locals standing up against a fence, and he was one of them! Bill had a "lazy eye" and when he told me about it, I pulled out the video a few days later and sure enough, there was a much younger Bill in that scene. His lazy eye was all I had to go on, since 43 years can do a lot to one's appearance. He retired from his part-time courier job with us not long after that, so we're not sure of his whereabouts these days.

Thanks for taking this trip! I have several old episodes of Route 66 that I purchased from Columbia House years ago. Aside from meeting Martin Milner a few years ago in Springfield, I also had the chance to meet another cast member from that original episode from "Garth". A gentleman who was a courier where I work one day noticed a couple of 66 items I had around my desk. We then got into a conversation about the TV show and he said that they filmed an episode in the town in Kentucky where he lived. Upon further discussion, it was that same first episode from Concord, and what's even cooler is that he was an extra in the episode. There's a scene where it shows three or four locals standing up against a fence, and he was one of them! Bill had a "lazy eye" and when he told me about it, I pulled out the video a few days later and sure enough, there was a much younger Bill in that scene. His lazy eye was all I had to go on, since 43 years can do a lot to one's appearance. He retired from his part-time courier job with us not long after that, so we're not sure of his whereabouts these days.

Pat,

Now that is a great story! One in a million!

Keep the Shon on the Road!

Dave