American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Needles To Secede?

An article in the June 2nd Seattle Times says the good folks in Needles, Ca., are just angry enough at slights from the state and San Bernardino County (they're 220 miles from the county seat, how'd you like to pay a ticket there), that they are considering seceding and joining Arizona or Nevada where the grass is greener.

Should they or should they not?

I kind of support them, but then I'm a rebel and secession is sort of in my blood.

Maybe someone could get he url and post it so you can read the article.

• 4 months later...

Seems to me that the more logical course of action would be for the eastern portions of both San Berdoo and Riverside counties to jointly break off from their respective jurisdictions and form a new Colorado River County. Although they would probably disagree on whether Needles or Blythe should be the new county seat...

There is precedent for this here in AZ. About 30 years ago northern Yuma County broke away and formed a new county, La Paz (county seat Parker), for the same reasons: Too far from Yuma!

It seems to be a recurring theme in our big, Northeast state-sized western counties. Look at Nye County, NV: Nearly all of the population is in the far southern town of Pahrump (home of Art Bell!), a long road trip from the tiny county seat of Tonopah. One must even leave and reenter the county to get from one to the other, thanks to "Area 51" being between them!

It does sound like large geographic counties should consider the split into separate counties when the population growth makes that more efficient and practical. Counties are often fairly compact here in Eastern PA, so travel is not often a major consideration here. Keep us informed of changes in this situation. It seems like it could be an interesting story that we won't hear much of in the Lehigh Valley.

Seems to me that the more logical course of action would be for the eastern portions of both San Berdoo and Riverside counties to jointly break off from their respective jurisdictions and form a new Colorado River County. Although they would probably disagree on whether Needles or Blythe should be the new county seat...

There is precedent for this here in AZ. About 30 years ago northern Yuma County broke away and formed a new county, La Paz (county seat Parker), for the same reasons: Too far from Yuma!

It seems to be a recurring theme in our big, Northeast state-sized western counties. Look at Nye County, NV: Nearly all of the population is in the far southern town of Pahrump (home of Art Bell!), a long road trip from the tiny county seat of Tonopah. One must even leave and reenter the county to get from one to the other, thanks to "Area 51" being between them!

mga707,

Welcome to the ranks of the active members posting here! We look forward to your continued participation!

There seems to be a move every now and then to split poltical jurisdictions, and I'm sure every case is different! I guess sometimes the problems are real and demand action. Other times the discussion is designed to get attension where it may have been lacking before.

I see you are in Arizona. Great state! I spent a couple of years there in my doctorate program many years ago at the University of Arizona. I got to really enjoy the climate! In fact Sheila and I hope to get into the Southwest in the next couple of weeks, but we will stay north of the Grand Canyon.

Again, WELCOME!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

mga707,

I see you are in Arizona. Great state! I spent a couple of years there in my doctorate program many years ago at the University of Arizona. I got to really enjoy the climate! In fact Sheila and I hope to get into the Southwest in the next couple of weeks, but we will stay north of the Grand Canyon.

Again, WELCOME!

Dave

Thanks for the welcome! I just happens that I just got back from a road trip to St. George (UT) and back, including a lot of time in the "Arizona Strip" country--that's the part of the state north and northwest of the G.C. that you mention above. Visited Zion and the North Rim of the Canyon, of course!

I love driving the 'old' US 89, which has been Alternate 89 for 50 years now, since Page and the Glen Canyon Dam and Bridge came into existence. Always love to stop at the Navajo Bridge over the Colorado at Marble Canyon and walk on the historic 1929 original bridge, which the current (1995) adjacent bridge emulates, in a more modern (wider!) fashion.

Mike

Thanks for the welcome! I just happens that I just got back from a road trip to St. George (UT) and back, including a lot of time in the "Arizona Strip" country--that's the part of the state north and northwest of the G.C. that you mention above. Visited Zion and the North Rim of the Canyon, of course!

I love driving the 'old' US 89, which has been Alternate 89 for 50 years now, since Page and the Glen Canyon Dam and Bridge came into existence. Always love to stop at the Navajo Bridge over the Colorado at Marble Canyon and walk on the historic 1929 original bridge, which the current (1995) adjacent bridge emulates, in a more modern (wider!) fashion.

Mike

Mike,

Sounds like you were in my kind of country!

Beamerchef (Ara & Spirit) from here just left the Arizona Strip, and I’m hoping to catch a bit of it in the next week or so.

It has been years since I was on 89A but I would like to do it again. I may very well go that way to Monument Valley.

Take a look at my post on the Motormen of 1917. They crossed at Lee’s Ferry and then went through Pipe Springs.

I want to take in Zion off season, then cross the old bridge at Rockville and pick up the old road to intersect Utah 59, then head east.

If you have the time, post a little description of your recent trip. It will be appreciated!

Dave

Mike,

If you have the time, post a little description of your recent trip. It will be appreciated!

Dave

OK, but I'll keep it brief, since we're really getting off topic. The only parts of 66 that we were on during this jaunt were Andy Devine Blvd through Kingman AZ on the way up and about a mile or two through Flagstaff on the way back home to Tucson!

Anyway, the trip entailed a drive from Tucson up to St. George UT via I-10, US 93, and I-15. One of these times I'm going to check out the section of old US 93 that breaks off from the current route just before 93 joins I-40 east of Kingman.

We spent three nights in St. George and one night at Jacob Lake AZ. One interesting 'roadie' side trip was driving the section of old US 91 that branches off from I-15 at Littlefield/Beaver Dam AZ and winds north into Utah, through the Shivwits Paiute Indian Reservation, and comes into St. George from the northwest rather than the south as 15 does. The road is in decent shape and had virtually no traffic at all until we were approaching the St. George outskirts. But for scenery, the I-15 alignment through the Virgin River Gorge is much more visually appealing. Indeed I would rate it as one of the best stretches of Interstate anywhere. Still, it was good to check out the "old road"!

On the return, as I mentioned previously, we of course stopped at the Navajo Bridge, one of my faves! It is SO good that they kept the old bridge open to pedestrians, and that they copied the look of the old bridge for the current span alongside.

Had a brief chat with a delivery truck driver there who recounted that he drove his truck over the old span many times prior to 1995, and how narrow it was compared to modern bridges.

One other old bridge note: If you're on US 89 north of Flagstaff, check out the old bridge across the Little Colorado River at Cameron, on the Navajo rez. It is just to the west of the current nondescript bridge. Unfortunately, this bridge is not open to walkers, probably because it is still in use as a pipeline bridge. Beautiful old style (1920s, I'm guessing) steel span!

And one final bridge note: The construction of the MASSIVE new Hoover Dam bypass bridge on US 93 still has quite a ways to go, so I'd say you will still have a couple more years to drive over the dam. Once this bridge is finished, I hope one will be able to stop on either side and walk out on it. The view of the dam and the river from the middle of the new bridge should be fantastic!

Mike

Sounds like a good trip. I've never been on US-89 above Flagstaff but love the section immediately to its south so know I'd really like the section you mention. And I do like old bridges.

By the way, when you find things moving too far off topic, just start up a new one with the "NEW TOPIC" button near the top of each sub-forum.