American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

A Little Road Trip

DennyG

I got home last night from a little road trip to Maryland. The "journal" is a bit sparse but I do have some stuff from the drive at:

http://www.dennygibson.com/nrwagons08/index.htm

I posted here because I spent most of my time on the National Road but I also have some pictures from a stint on the Lincoln Highway and even a rare shot of I-70.

I got home last night from a little road trip to Maryland. The "journal" is a bit sparse but I do have some stuff from the drive at:

http://www.dennygibson.com/nrwagons08/index.htm

I posted here because I spent most of my time on the National Road but I also have some pictures from a stint on the Lincoln Highway and even a rare shot of I-70.

Denny,

I have been following your adventure. As usual it is a great write up with interesting photos. Wagons HO!!

The national road shots are interesting, but I haven't gotten to the Lincoln Highway yet.

The toll house looks like it sits in a "neighborhood." And the old farm houses have gone down hill, as is evident when you compare photos. A good lesson in how fast we can lose roadside artifacts.

BTW, I don't remember you mentioning who cleans up behind the wagons (more specificaly behind the horses). In the early days of motoring, one of the complaints was the cloud of dry horse **** hanging in the air, kicked up by the automobiles ahead. :lol::o

It was a little incongruent to see a 180 year old milepost in the middle of the freeway meridian, but maybe that is the safest place for it! And I don't know that the driver would have cared that he was on a 180 yerad old road. He was probably worri=ying about gas diesel prices!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Denny, thanks for sharing your trip! I liked the pic of the stone bridge with the two men sitting along the edge. If they had been holding fishing poles, it could have been a study for a Normal Rockwell painting!

Your trip renewed my itch to drive the NR east from here all the way to Cumberland. Maybe next year, after I finish with the Michigan Road.

I liked the pic of the stone bridge with the two men sitting along the edge. If they had been holding fishing poles, it could have been a study for a Normal Rockwell painting!

You may not be able to tell from that photo but the fellow on the left is wearing one of those flat-topped civil war military hats (I know they must have a name.) and both are wearing suspenders. I'm sure they were re-enactors of some sort and I now really wished I had asked.

Denny,

BTW, I don't remember you mentioning who cleans up behind the wagons (more specificaly behind the horses). In the early days of motoring, one of the complaints was the cloud of dry horse **** hanging in the air, kicked up by the automobiles ahead. :lol::o

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Dave, I emailed Denny and asked him that very question. As a matter of fact I asked him if HE was assigned that job. As I recall he said there was no one assigned to follow the animals with a bucket and shovel. LOL :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

As I recall he said there was no one assigned to follow the animals with a bucket and shovel. LOL :D

That's correct. It wouldn't be authentic! But the law does require those very unauthentic orange triangles on the back of horse drawn vehicles and some owners make the most of that. They use the triangles to help unobservant twenty-first century folks by adding:

"Powered By Oats. Don't Step In Exhaust."