American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Hypotenuse Trail Video Wonders, Vol 01

In response to the enormous :P demand for more photos, and movies, I am presenting for your viewing pleasure the first ever videos of the Hypotenuse Trail. You saw them here! Actually, the first video technically is not on the Hypotenuse, but why get picky when you are a master videoalogist?

The movies are posted on Vimeo. Clicking on the link should bring you viewing delight!

Seriously, most of these videos were taken through the windshield, and have all the quality you would expect in such images, bug splatters and all. None the less, for those who just can’t get enough two lane road stuff, here tis.

Each movie is about a minute or less, so soak it up!

Video 01 http://www.vimeo.com/964137

Along the A1A on the Florida Coast at West Palm Beach. There was no question but what the houses here should be called mansions…they were. As you view the video, you may note that it wasn’t easy for the rif raf (me) to park along the beach and run into the surf. I bet that was because it would cause a traffic problem!

Video 02 http://www.vimeo.com/964196

The official entrance to the Everglades is near Homestead, Florida. These shots are taken inside the National Park, within about 2 to 15 miles of the entrance. The Panther Crossing warning sign was new to me! But elsewhere in Florida, especially just east of the park, going north along State 29, the highway was lined with high fences with barb wire tops leaning toward the outside (away from the road) designed to keep panthers off the highway.

Maybe it was bad luck, but I didn’t see any wildlife, other than birds. But what can you expect so close to the road, from a car? But I really did want to spot an alligator…and maybe get a picture stepping on its tail. :rolleyes:

Video 03 http://www.vimeo.com/964202

I was interested in whether Florida was still in the orange business, and they were. I was driving on a side street about 2 miles north of Wauchula just off US 17 in central Florida and spotted this orange transportation scene.

Video 04 http://www.vimeo.com/964425

The old Dixie Highway runs due north out of Bowling Green, Florida, to the west of the present highway US17. It was a nice drive, and led to the bridge where some of you saw the first blazing of the Hypotenuse Trail. The two movie segments are taken close to one another. The second segment shows typical palm trees along the road.

Video 05 http://www.vimeo.com/964460

Field workers were picking oranges along the Dixie Highway (Old Bowling Green Road) four or five miles north of Bowling Green, Florida.

Video 06 http://www.vimeo.com/964485

This old Dixie Highway Bridge has seen better days. Graffiti “artists” have exercised their talent on its sides. I’ll let you decide whether it is art, and how much talent is involved. It is located about 5.25 miles north of Bowling Green.

The train you hear was carrying oranges! And the bell was a reminder I hadn’t belted up!

That is all the videos for April 16 - 17, 2008 along the Hypotenuse Trail. More perhaps tomorrow.

Thanks for the videos! Unfortunately, I only have time for a few quick notes. I couldn't get the one of Fla. A1A to work; the site says it is set to private.

Even if those oranges are for juicing, I am glad I wash fruit and vegetables.

You weren't driving the Dixie; you were flying!

That is a nice bridge; too bad it has been defaced. Maybe one day it will be repainted.

Looking forward to more,

Tracy

Thanks for the videos! Unfortunately, I only have time for a few quick notes. I couldn't get the one of Fla. A1A to work; the site says it is set to private.

Even if those oranges are for juicing, I am glad I wash fruit and vegetables.

You weren't driving the Dixie; you were flying!

That is a nice bridge; too bad it has been defaced. Maybe one day it will be repainted.

Looking forward to more,

Tracy

Tracy,

Thanks. I fixed the problem on the A1A video.

I guess oranges are like sausages, they have great flavor, but you don't want to see how they are processed!

I can see that the videos and my "famed" visit with the Nebraska State Patrol are going to get me a "reputation" here if I'm not careful! Just for the record, I have driven over 600,000 miles (that's six hundred thousand, or 24 times around the world) in the past 19 years (since my last ticket) and without resort to radar detectors. In fact, Mr. Nebraska Patrolman's visit was the first time I have even been stopped in that 19 years.

Wait until you see the photos on the Pigtail Byway in Arkansas. You would think I was doing a hundred! I love the video because it makes me look like a seasoned race car driver. But alas, the "speed" is only a video illusion.

More "hot" videos to follow.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

DashboardCam™ videos seem always to make it look like you're going faster than you are. I think it's kind of like how being on TV always makes you look fatter than you are.

These videos are great! I liked the one of the guys kicking oranges off the truck with their feet, and the one of going over the DH bridge, the best.

I can see that the videos and my "famed" visit with the Nebraska State Patrol are going to get me a "reputation" here if I'm not careful! Just for the record, I have driven over 600,000 miles (that's six hundred thousand, or 24 times around the world) in the past 19 years (since my last ticket) and without resort to radar detectors. In fact, Mr. Nebraska Patrolman's visit was the first time I have even been stopped in that 19 years.

Dave

You got's to know, Old Buddy - that Nebraska patrolman was out there just waiting bust the "Bandit"!!!! He got you instead. LOL ROFL

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN