American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Here's Your Trivia Contest

RoadDog

These were the trivia questions for NTN Topix game from August 11, 2006. I know they are on the interstates, sigh! But just imagine how BAD things would be on our two lane roads without them.

1. Who was the president who signed the 1956 Federal Highway Act that created the interstate system?

Herbert Hoover, Dwight Eisenhower, Jimmy Carter, LBJ, Woodrow Wilson

2. What state has the most interstate mileage?

Alaska, Ohio, Arizona, Texas, Florida

3. Standards established by the Act called for all of these except:

50-100 mph speed limits, two plus lanes in each direction, 12 foot wide lanes,

standardized shoulder widths

4. The eastern starting point of I-40 is at?

Wilmington, San Bernadino, Riverside, Long Beach, Bakersfield

5. Missouri's St. Charles County is called the ________ of the interstate:

Edgar Allan Poe, Mark Twain, Upton St. Clair, James F. Cooper, Herman Melville

6. I-25 is located in this part of the US:

Northeast, Atlantic Seaboard, Gulf Coast, West, Southeast

7. At 3,020 miles, it is the longest interstate route in the US:

I-10, I-25, I-40, I-70, I-90

8. I-5 connects:

the Rocky Mountains, the longest rivers, international borders, four interstates

9. The final piece of the original interstate plan is called the _______ Tunnel.

Fargo, Boston, Amarillo, Miami Beach, El Capundo

10. What state has no signed interstate highways:

North Dakota, Maine, Alaska, Mississippi, New Mexico

11. I-84 follows the same route as:

The Spanigh Trail, Santa Fe Trail, Oregon Trail, Gila Trail, Mormon Trail

12. I-80 passes through all these states except:

Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska, New Jersey, Pennsylvania

13. I-10 goes through all of these except:

French Quarter, Alamo, Santa Monica Pier, Lincoln Center

14. The shortest interstate, I-97, is located in which state:

Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maryland, Vermont, New Hampshire

15. I-25 and I-40 come together in:

Phoenix, Dallas, Albuguerque, Cheyene, Denver

See how well you do. NTN times you starting at 1000 point on each question and working down to zero. You don't get much time to answer either. They do eliminate two incorrect answers and will give you the correct answer on the third clue. You would only get 250 or less points if you change it then.

I missed 2,6,7,11,13, and 14. I got number 5 right, even though I've never heard anything about it before. I was figuring they'd ask about it being the birthplace.

One person scored a perfect 15,000. The lowest top twenty score was 13,500. A place called Famous Dave's had a team score of 14,362. The lowest team score was 11,632. Evidently. there are some people out there who really know their interstates. My score was 9,789. I thought I knew about the interstates, but obviously didn't. My excuse is that it was about interstates and I'm a two lane guy. That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it.

My wife and I are no longer into "clubbing" and like to stop at places that have NTN on our travels. We have met some really great people and found out a lot of places to visit in the areas. I'd recommend it to you. You can go to www.ntn.com to find out site locations.

I'll give the answers in several days. Let me know how you think you did. No cheating though. Don't use an atlas which would have greatly helped me while I played the contest.

Every Wednesday, NTN has a Passport game where they take you to a part of the US or the world and ask you questions about it. This is at 8:00 PM Central Time.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

These were the trivia questions for NTN Topix game from August 11, 2006. I know they are on the interstates, sigh! But just imagine how BAD things would be on our two lane roads without them.

[questions snipped for space]

See how well you do. NTN times you starting at 1000 point on each question and working down to zero. You don't get much time to answer either. They do eliminate two incorrect answers and will give you the correct answer on the third clue. You would only get 250 or less points if you change it then.

I missed 2,6,7,11,13, and 14. I got number 5 right, even though I've never heard anything about it before. I was figuring they'd ask about it being the birthplace.

One person scored a perfect 15,000. The lowest top twenty score was 13,500. A place called Famous Dave's had a team score of 14,362. The lowest team score was 11,632. Evidently. there are some people out there who really know their interstates. My score was 9,789. I thought I knew about the interstates, but obviously didn't. My excuse is that it was about interstates and I'm a two lane guy. That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it.

My wife and I are no longer into "clubbing" and like to stop at places that have NTN on our travels. We have met some really great people and found out a lot of places to visit in the areas. I'd recommend it to you. You can go to www.ntn.com to find out site locations.

I'll give the answers in several days. Let me know how you think you did. No cheating though. Don't use an atlas which would have greatly helped me while I played the contest.

Every Wednesday, NTN has a Passport game where they take you to a part of the US or the world and ask you questions about it. This is at 8:00 PM Central Time.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

I would have scored over 14K points on these questions with #5 being the only real 'headscratcher'. I am also very good at answer guessing (I know very little about personalities, literature and movies) in NTN games so a perfect score would have been a real likelyhood.

<sigh....>

Mike

I have no idea where they came up with number 5. I picked Mark Twain because he was from Missouri.

I would have scored over 14K points on these questions with #5 being the only real 'headscratcher'. I am also very good at answer guessing (I know very little about personalities, literature and movies) in NTN games so a perfect score would have been a real likelyhood.

<sigh....>

Mike

Answers to Trivia

Let me know how you did?

1. Dwight Eisenhower, 2) Texas, 3) 50-100 mph, 4) Wilmington

5) Mark Twain, 6) west, 7) I-90, 8) international borders,

9) Boston, 10) Alaska, 11) Oregon Trail, 12) Kansas,

13) Lincoln Center, 14) Maryland, 15) Albuquerque.

• 2 weeks later...
Answers to Trivia

Let me know how you did?

1. Dwight Eisenhower, 2) Texas, 3) 50-100 mph, 4) Wilmington

5) Mark Twain, 6) west, 7) I-90, 8) international borders,

9) Boston, 10) Alaska, 11) Oregon Trail, 12) Kansas,

13) Lincoln Center, 14) Maryland, 15) Albuquerque.

I did okay.....I guessed on 3 and 5. Missed 7 and 9.

• 3 months later...

Here's a new NTN Topix Trivia Contest from Dec. 15, 2006.

Road Songs

1. Who did "On the Road Again"?

2. John and Paul wrote a song about a "Long __ _____ ____".

3. What was the big road hit by AC/DC?

4, Who performed "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"?

5. What state was John Denver singing about in "Take Me Home Country Roads"?

6. Who warned you not to come home "no more, no more, no more"?

7. In Sheryl Crow's "Walk With Me". what kind of a road did she refer to?

8. What was Judas Priest's song about the open road?

9. The Flying Buritto Brothers sang about how many days on the road?

10. Who sang about "Highway 29"?

11. "Trailers for sale or rent, rooms to rent 50 cents." What song?

12. What 60s-70s soul singer did "The End of Our Road"?

13. Bachman Turner Overdrive wanted you to "___ Down the Highway".

14. Choose the incorrect city in "Get Your Kicks on Route 66":

Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Flagstaff, Barstow, Denver

15. Ozzy Osborne sang about what road?

See how you do.