American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Miami To The Puget Sound...the Hypotenuse Is Blazed!

The blazing of the Hypotenuse Trail is complete…from the southeast tip to the northwest tip of the United States....the Hypotenuse is a reality. Others will follow and improve the route, but Trail Blazer Keep has done his duty. 4340 miles in 13 days, with only 15 miles on the interstate.

The last link in the trail was determined by weather. I was driven a bit south by a winter storm in the Cascades that threatened to pile 4 inches of new snow on the road (US 12) over White Pass. So the last link in the trail was via the north side of Columbia River, which cuts through the Cascades at near sea level. I think we will call this the “winter link” as it will always have better weather in the winter than a 4,400 foot pass over the shoulder of Mt Rainier.

Sheila greeted me with enthusiasm but ole Bo was nearly ecstatic. I guess he figured that being gone so long, I must really be bringing home tons of treats! Travel is wonderful, and I enjoyed almost every minute of this adventure, but there is no place like home!

I’ll post the last day of the trip tomorrow, after I catch up on home events. Thanks for your comments and interest! There are movies, many many interesting sights not already posted, at least two “mysteries” that need to be solved, and a few “artifacts” for the faithful…but all that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

4340 miles in 13 days, with only 15 miles on the interstate.

Congratulations, Dave!!! A major accomplishment and one that is certain to provide memories and stories forever. Plus, as you've already hinted, inspiration other trips and return visits. Well done. :cheers:

Ok, now whose going to do the "other" Hypotenuse - San Diego to Houlton, Maine????

Curiously, the "as-the-crow-flies" distances, drawing straight lines, is, from Miami to Seattle, 2,740 miles; from San Diego to Houlton, 2,750!!!!! The lines cross somewhere in western Kansas.

If I had the money I wouldn't mind doing it. But gas prices have got to drop by at least a dollar a gallon.

Glad you had a good, safe and sane trip Dave. Have enjoyed following you across country.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

Congratulations, Dave! When do we get the advertising brochures? <grin>

Since many of the old trails had alternate routes, yours fits right in.

I hope you're resting, and I look forward to seeing the movies and pictures.

Tracy

Ok, now whose going to do the "other" Hypotenuse - San Diego to Houlton, Maine????

Curiously, the "as-the-crow-flies" distances, drawing straight lines, is, from Miami to Seattle, 2,740 miles; from San Diego to Houlton, 2,750!!!!! The lines cross somewhere in western Kansas.

If I had the money I wouldn't mind doing it. But gas prices have got to drop by at least a dollar a gallon.

Glad you had a good, safe and sane trip Dave. Have enjoyed following you across country.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Yes, a Big Congratulations is in order, Dave. Awesome feat in two weeks. Did it ever get lonely out there?

And, yes, Alex, there are a lot of people, including moi, that would like to go out and accomplish a similiar task. Who am I kidding, though....EVERYONE who patronizes this forum would like to do it.....heh, heh. Now, if I had the vacation time.....hmmm.

Matt Smallwood

Congratulations Keep.

You may not have been the first to travel that exact route but you were the first to document it and give it a name. The path was there, you made it a road.

Job well done.

Roadhound

Roadhound,

I know what you meant. I was certainly not the first to drive from Florda to the Puget Sound, but believe me I was the first along the exact route I took! Of course, anyone who makes the trip as I did, chosing two lane roads as I went along a general path, would likely "blaze" a unique" combination of roads. For example I would bet my house that no one who drove between Florida and Olympia off the interstates, ever also went through Coffeeville, Kansas, Paulina, Oregon, and went over the Wind River Range. No way!

The nice thing about the Hypotenuse Trail, which really is a state of mind, is that there are thousands of ways one could do it, and each would be as interesting as mine was to me.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Dave

Dave

Congratulations Dave, and long live the Hypotenuse! Your trip has made me seriously consider doing an East-West for my next project. (Kidding!)

Brian

Brian,

Having seen your work, I really wish you would also do an east west! I think your photos really capture the feeling of the American Road. I know they have me looking at the road in a different and more nuanced way.

Dave

Dave,

Due to other commitments and being away from computer access, I have not yet followed all of your posts, but I really am waiting for the book. Who do you see in the roll of the adventurous trailblazer? I was thinking Harrison Ford, but he probably looks too old.

Congratulations on your adventure and endeavor! :banana::driving::banana:

Dave,

Due to other commitments and being away from computer access, I have not yet followed all of your posts, but I really am waiting for the book. Who do you see in the roll of the adventurous trailblazer? I was thinking Harrison Ford, but he probably looks too old.

Congratulations on your adventure and endeavor! :banana::driving::banana:

Dave,

It was a fun trip, and unlike a lot of things I spend money on, it was worth every cent and more. It ranks as one of the two best trips I have ever taken.

I don’t even feel bad that it was done in two weeks. After doing it that way, I think the only other way would be to take two months, or more.

I have just about worn out the pavement in the west up to the Rockies, so seeing what I saw has whetted my appetite for another road trip out of my “territory.” Maybe Hypotenuse II.!

Thanks for the comment!!

Dave