American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Ohio L H League Meeting (to & From)

I'm home from a three day outing centered around the Ohio Lincoln Highway League meeting in Galion. Friday was spent getting there along an original (and short lived) alignment of the LH. The meeting and some Galion sights filled the second day and the third day was used to take in some of the National Road then get home.

All three days are at:

http://www.dennygibson.com/ohlh0408/index.htm

P.S., I occasionally saw some of the many forum postings that piled up during those three days but had no time to read them all or respond to any. I've got a lot of catching up to do.

I have SO got to make some plans to visit Ohio for its National Road and Lincoln Highway richness!

If you want to see the LH in Ohio, Mike Buettner's phenomenal online collection of articles contains just about everything you'll need. For the NR, I suggest getting a copy of the guide that RoadDog helped advertise here. Of course, Frank Brusca's site has a goodly amount of information and several NR trips are covered on my site though they're not really organized for trip planning.

A good day trip for Indiana folks would be the two-Madonna Richmond-Springfield loop with one way using the NR and the other the Dayton Cutoff. The entire loop could be driven in three hours if that were your goal but there are plenty of places to stop to make it a full day (or longer) outing.

I already have my Ohio NR guide -- ordered it last year, and it sets the standard for road tourism guides. I've bookmarked the other resources and will use them when the time comes.

I really want to do the WV-to-Columbus section of the NR/US 40. I drove along 40 for many miles through there once about 20 years ago not knowing then about the NR and how alignments lurked all around me. I did find, quite by accident, that place where old 4-lane 40 is buried under I-70, however.