American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

04272008 Grand Teton Np To Stanley, Id On The Hypotenuse Trail

It has been a great two days, with the obvious highlight being the Grand Tetons, yesterday. All but one of the travelers I met was from the general area, taking advantage of the weather to visit the park. Facilities were still closed, but snow had been removed in many places, and temporary “Staff report here” signs meant opening wasn’t too far away.

The elk are on the National Elk Reserve, just north of Jackson, WY.. The brown spots in the field aren’t stumps, and the shot only shows a tenth of the field!

The photographs of the Tetons in their white robes will speak for themselves. I spent the night in Rexburg, Idaho and have now discovered I missed Brian. I guess it will have to be next time. I happened to look at his US 89 site last night and really appreciated his eye for the interesting photos I miss. Driving today I noticed a roadside collection of brightly colored barrels, thought he would have seen a photo in them, and decided I would never get home if I stopped anymore! Besides, I would have messed up the shot.

I drove today from Rexburg, ID to Arco, Mackay, and Stanley. The wigwam burner was along the road. You don’t see these anymore, but as a kid in the 1940’s every lumber mill in the northwest, and there were plenty, had a wigwam burner going, with smoke and cinders pouring out the top. That is how they got rid of scrap wood. Sometimes at night, the sides glowed from the heat. Ah…days gone by!

The highlight today may be an authentic 1920’s – 30’s gas pump in its original place…or not. As I came into Mackay Idaho on US 93 I spied an old service station and on its pump island was an old pump with its glass measuring container intact. Is it even conceivably possible that this pump is in its original location?

I have seen many nicely restored pumps in obvious locations where they had been moved for display, sometimes even on an island. But this one had the character of an original in its original location. The garage was closed (Sunday) and there was no one to ask.

The concrete island looked like it had never had more than the one pump (I didn’t see more holes for other pumps), and the base of the pump and the island looked like they “matched.” Furthermore, look at the paint on the base of the pump and on the base of the posts that support the roof. They appear to match, and both are old enough to discredit any notion that the two were done recently.

If this is an authentic intact pump, complete with original glass, on its original base, it is a real find, at least for me. The fact that the station has certainly not been “restored” supports the possibility.

I’ll post a couple of photos here and if the “mystery” generates any interest, I’ll post additional photos when I get home mid this coming week.

BTW, the wifi is only available in the single chair in the “lobby” (motel check in window) …really! This is Stanley Idaho, not Los Angeles. Of course there is a work around. You can park the car by the office and get “full wifi service” in the comfort of your vehicle. The drive ins had nothing on this place!

I was lucky the snow had been shoveled between the road and the log cabin I’m in. Incidentally, it is beautiful, the cabin is warm and well equipped and I am only feet from the Salmon River. I’m happy to piggy back on the office wifi! It will be 16 degrees tonight, so I am glad to be in a snug place. I'm a lucky guy!!

I won’t attempt to do more than this post tonight. Replies to your kind comments will have to wait until I have in room access to wifi.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

ARGT1.jpg

ARGT2.jpg

ARGT3.jpg

ARElk2.jpg

ARWigwam.jpg

ARPump1.jpg

ARPump2.jpg

ARPump3.jpg

ARPump4.jpg

Oh yeah - I'd wager a months retirement pay that that is an original pump. Repro's don't rust like that. What you looking at is a "retirement" pump. Get your hands on it, put it on ebay and you can retire off what you could make - if you wanted to do it that way.

It's hard to tell from your photos, but I think that's one of those that you pumped gas into the globe to a marked level - 1 gal, 2 gal, 3 gal, up to probably 5 gal I'd say with that pump - using a hand pump from, usually a 55 gallon drum of gas. Then you gravity fed to the car's gas tank, usually thru the same hose.

Love your "post card" shots - there's a lot of empty country out there for sure.

Safe traveling.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

OK. I think I've finally caught up with all the HT posts and pictures and have acknowledged that I'll never get in all the replies that I thought of and which were abandoned with the next photo. Great stuff.

It seems like you just left Florida days ago, Dave. You're moving along quite nicely. And you did it at the time of year that it's not sweltering worm or freezing cold in just about any locale on your Hypotenuse Trail. Outstanding, Dave. Hard to believe you're almost to Seattle. Of course, I only look at this forum every three or four days...seems longer to you, huh. ;)

The gas pump looks original to these untrained eyes as well. The building looks old enough, and, and as you said, the island does look like it never held another pump. You made a great find.

Those shots of snow are making me cold. Of course, that isn't enough to make me not want to be there; that seems like a great part of the country.

As always, thanks for the pictures.

Tracy

Oh yeah - I'd wager a months retirement pay that that is an original pump. Repro's don't rust like that. What you looking at is a "retirement" pump. Get your hands on it, put it on ebay and you can retire off what you could make - if you wanted to do it that way.

It's hard to tell from your photos, but I think that's one of those that you pumped gas into the globe to a marked level - 1 gal, 2 gal, 3 gal, up to probably 5 gal I'd say with that pump - using a hand pump from, usually a 55 gallon drum of gas. Then you gravity fed to the car's gas tank, usually thru the same hose.

Love your "post card" shots - there's a lot of empty country out there for sure.

Safe traveling.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

You are right, the glass container with the gallon marks was intact. Later photos will show it better.

Thanks for the comments!

Dave

Ansel, er, Dave:

Great mountain shots. Holy cow.

That gas pump is a real find. I'm no expert but it sure looks to me like the pump has known no other home.

jim

Jim

I was really pleased. I have seen restorations but not one in its "home place" in at least 40 years. Just seeing this one made the day, and more. The Tetons will be there a long time, but old timers like that pump are not long for the world...not at least where it sits. Like Alex said, someone will buy it and move it, and I fear I am contributing to that.

Dave