American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Finally - Some Progress On The Project!

Hey everyone. I know I haven't been around for awhile (OK. So what's a year or so, really?). I have recently had time to begin assembling a website and I thought I would post here to allow all of you to be the first to check it out. The site is http://www.highway89project.com and it is very much under construction. I believe the navigation is working correctly, however there is only part of one gallery uploaded at this time. Eventually I will have a link to galleries specific to each state. The gallery that is accessible currently is PART of the Arizona gallery (about 260 images I think), mostly of the extreme southern part of the state with just a handful of random mileposts from northern AZ for good measure.

If you are so inclined as to visit I would love any feedback. I have switched ISPs since my last post, but the 'contact' link has my current email address.

Now that something is actually online, I am quite anxious to finish the project and get ALL of it online!

Hope you enjoy perusing the site!

Brian

Thanks for sharing the project. For the section south of Flagstaff, are you following the last route the highway took? I noticed that in places like Florence Junction, even that isn't possible. I'm looking forward to more.

Tracy

Add my congratulations to the list. Great photographs.

Only one thing I might suggest, if possible. I'm one of these who likes to look at a photograph, and find something that tells where, or what, it is. Like on the intro photo. Just a short "between such and such a place" or some such.

Will certainly add that site to my bookmarks so I can check back now and again.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Lookin' good! I remember reading of this project but came up empty when I went looking for it recently. Looks like there's a good chance that won't happen again. :)

Alex, I understand your comment and would normally agree with you completely but this is, I believe, a special case. I'm certainly no fan of the mass posting of unlabeled photographs that remind me of the boxes of unidentified photographs that I (and you and you and you) have in the closet nor am I a fan of mechanical projects like Matt Frondorf's American Mile Markers (although it is interesting) but Brian's 89 project is different. He's got rules :D Of course, even with good "rules", the concept could easily be overused. Brian has a good eye and a good road and it takes both. Maybe he could do something pretty interesting with just any old road but using US-89 helps.

Brian,

Work like this is why I have respected your opinions when I was traveling from Logan to Jackson Hole. Thanks again for sharing your love for 89 and your talents with us all.

Thanks for all your positive feedback. I hope I can add more images every week or so. I have now photographed the majority of the highway: I just need to finish the extreme northern section in Montana - from Great Falls to the border, 2/3 of Yellowstone Park, (which technically is not part of 89 but since 89 enters the park on the south and exits at the north - who can blame me!), and the section from Flagstaff to Pheonix (both 89 and 89A) and then I'm DONE! So I have a lot of photos that I am 'processing' and I should be able to keep 'em coming.

Alex, I understand the logic of your comment, but I don't think that I will label every image with a description OTHER THAN the State and Milepost number. My idea is that the finished website would be little more descriptive because I plan on including a small, simplified map of each state to the side of the main window that would show the highway route in black, but it would have a short segent of the highway illuminated probably with red. The red section would represent approximately a 20 mile portion of the highway and the corresponding twenty thumb nails would display in two rows along the bottom of the browser. A mouse-over or click on an individual thumbnail would bring that image up in the main window, similar to what you see now. All I need to do is find a good web designer to make it happen!

Thanks again to everyone. I hope the project will provide you with a chance for a good armchair excursion over the weeks ahead!

Brian