American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Lifelong Journey On The Road...

beemerchef

First, Alex, that was a great Christmas greeting and wish for Ara and Spirit, and since I can’t top it, I’ll second it!

Second, I read a few blogs related to Ara’s blog a minute ago. John has launched an imaginary rocket to recover the “lost in space tool kit” and Ara’s full time RV’ing visitors are discovering Ranger Rob while they boondock. Everyone is talking about the swimming hole.

These folks are truly living (as contrasted with simply existing) …and its fair to say they are ”on the road,” both in fact and spirit. I shared the experiences I’m reading about with Sheila….and then she drops the drawbridge……“Is that what you want to do?”

The apple trees in the front yard are leafless but still covered with apples that haven’t yet fallen for the deer to eat, the snow is only an inch deep but it covers the lawn down to the lake, there are still a few ducks on the lake, the sun is bright, the temperature is about 28, and the fire is glowing in the fireplace…and Sheila wants me to reply… :huh:

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

We have Dave! We are coming to Death Valley soon... near you? I have the feeling it is... Good time of the year to spend some time there... Strange as we have never explored that area. Will be primitive camping...

Ara, when is your trip to Death Valley? Good time of year to visit with warm days, cold nights, and the occassional windstorm. I've been there a couple of times in the last few years. Make sure a trip out to Racetrack Playa and drive through Titus Canyon is on your itinerary.

Roadhound

First, Alex, that was a great Christmas greeting and wish for Ara and Spirit, and since I can’t top it, I’ll second it!

Second, I read a few blogs related to Ara’s blog a minute ago. John has launched an imaginary rocket to recover the “lost in space tool kit” and Ara’s full time RV’ing visitors are discovering Ranger Rob while they boondock. Everyone is talking about the swimming hole.

These folks are truly living (as contrasted with simply existing) …and its fair to say they are ”on the road,” both in fact and spirit. I shared the experiences I’m reading about with Sheila….and then she drops the drawbridge……“Is that what you want to do?”

The apple trees in the front yard are leafless but still covered with apples that haven’t yet fallen for the deer to eat, the snow is only an inch deep but it covers the lawn down to the lake, there are still a few ducks on the lake, the sun is bright, the temperature is about 28, and the fire is glowing in the fireplace…and Sheila wants me to reply… :huh:

Dave

You know, you can have it both ways... be on the road 6 months and home the other 6... anything goes truly. As long as you two are happy...

THANK YOU for the Best Wishes... The days are flying by, I did not realize Xmas is in 10 days!...

Death Valley? Probably leave early January. I understand that the nights are in thir low 40's and we can handle that. I have a route there to avoid any Freeways... but it is so complicated!!! I will map it and post it... will be about a page long!

Be well... back to my rocks!

Ara & Spirit

438650643_DebYc-L.jpg

My imaginary bridge, Tx.

These times, specially for me, brings much reflection to all days, past and present, not much for the future however. I let those guide themselves as they will anyhow. We have been spending much time at this “swimming hole” lately. I won’t tell you where it is, however when you visit, I will take you there. Every square inch is a work of Art, so much that I just cannot imagine how it all came about, the shapes, the crevasses, the waves and smoothness within the rocks, it is such eye candy that we sit there for hours and this time wrote down some of my thoughts.

The road leading is good, a bit washy at the end as I managed to take a little detour without any problems.

The weather has been cooperating as never before. It was over 80 degrees today, for the first time I was “hot”, amazing for December.

It is time to get the tent up again and let Old Faithful point into a direction…

More on the Blog…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com our website and Blog

440067084_NJXL5-L.jpg

The Main Ingredients… Tx

I guess it is bound to happen throughout these Holidays with the gazillions packages crisscrossing the country, to receive someone else’s merchandise! Twice… It is also amazing that little parts can hold up the big parts from moving too far… as well as they should anyhow, such as a camera and a bike.

So we wait and taste the local flavors always abundant, there is always something going on in this part of the country as long as one is willing to go the extra mile. And if nothing is happening, someone will make it happen and we will know about it very quickly.

Last night was a “Sign Art Show”, or something like that… maybe called “Weird Art”? The highlight was worth the wait, three Fire Dancers with a great show backed by the sound of drums and music.

I have been thinking also a lot about the ready made, right here, free for the taking “ingredients” we use daily…

More on the Blog…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Those fire dances are awesome to watch - my ex-wife and I went on an Hawaiian cruise in 1995 and one of the things we got to see was a Samoan fire dance at the Hawaiian Cultural Center out in Laie on Oahu. The show was mesmerizing.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

The middle one was excellent!

441550951_czjCz-L.jpg

On with Christmas, Tx

Very fitting to witness a Nativity live scene in Alpine, even if the temperatures were below freezing. That is when a car is used… how nice! Four wheels and a roof, they even come with a heater! In the meantime in Terlingua, on a Friend’s property, Roger aka “UNCLE”, riders from all over Texas and further are flocking in for what now seems to be an annual pilgrimage to Big Bend. They have been welcomed by the cold snap but all this will change by tomorrow when we get up into the 70’s for some great riding. We have visitors from England on their way to no destination on their own two wheels. They have brightened up the moments spend together with much laughter and a positive attitude so needed throughout these Holidays. It is as we have been transported into a more jovial space as we will even attend a Christmas evening gathering with the same cast of characters where even Spirit is welcome to attend… so important to be around such dog friendly Friends as he is more than ever part of this Life of mine.

Always more on the Blog… where the chapters only increases by the day!

Be well… Ara & Spirit “HAPPY AND HEALTHY HOLIDAYS”

The middle one was excellent!

441550951_czjCz-L.jpg

On with Christmas, Tx

Very fitting to witness a Nativity live scene in Alpine, even if the temperatures were below freezing. That is when a car is used… how nice! Four wheels and a roof, they even come with a heater! In the meantime in Terlingua, on a Friend’s property, Roger aka “UNCLE”, riders from all over Texas and further are flocking in for what now seems to be an annual pilgrimage to Big Bend. They have been welcomed by the cold snap but all this will change by tomorrow when we get up into the 70’s for some great riding. We have visitors from England on their way to no destination on their own two wheels. They have brightened up the moments spend together with much laughter and a positive attitude so needed throughout these Holidays. It is as we have been transported into a more jovial space as we will even attend a Christmas evening gathering with the same cast of characters where even Spirit is welcome to attend… so important to be around such dog friendly Friends as he is more than ever part of this Life of mine.

Always more on the Blog… where the chapters only increases by the day!

Be well… Ara & Spirit “HAPPY AND HEALTHY HOLIDAYS”

Ara,

Another wonderful blog and photos...and yes, why go to Death Valley before it calls. Your English visitors look like they are dedicated to humor.

Have a great Christmas!

Dave!

Dedicated to humor is very proper!!! They just left after a dinner over the fire... we aited for you but we were too hungry...

Thank you Dave... we are getting on some new roads tomorrow! Dry runs I call them... :D

442997399_zNhyT-L.jpg

And it was Christmas Day, Tx

I can only hope that everyone has had a Christmas Eve and Day as fulfilled as ours, surrounded by a great presence with its true meaning unlike a commercial that would only run for 60 seconds. I was dreading these times filled with the memories passed with Lance as they are these past years, missing him does not begin to express my inner feelings. But again, Friends, my adopted Family, they all have come forward and let us in within their grasp without a single moment of despair, only laughter, great food and great times. This was in itself the greatest Gift we could receive as more and more I realize that true Gifts of Life are never purchased but passed on by kind and caring Human Beings as it should be. We rode next door, we rode to Terlingua to meet some riders gathered as they do every year at “Uncle”, we went then north for more food, just an excuse for great company. Even Santa visited us yesterday, imagine that, in the middle of nowhere… Santa’s appaearance! Where else could this happen?

Enjoy the Blog… we sure did its contents!

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Ara,

Yah, it just doesn’t get any better! That’s the truth! It is "only" a state of mind…but what a great state!

But I’m not sure about Spirit’s girlfriend!

I confess I am probably like Paul...and tell John he makes a great Santa!

We have been snowbound for about a week….but so what? The deer are happy when I shake a few frozen apples off the trees. It looks like a thaw the next couple of days, so we can get out for the mail and milk.

Enjoy camping......

Dave

Dedicated to humor is very proper!!! They just left after a dinner over the fire... we aited for you but we were too hungry...

Thank you Dave... we are getting on some new roads tomorrow! Dry runs I call them... :D

442997399_zNhyT-L.jpg

And it was Christmas Day, Tx

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Ah, yes, the man does have a sense of humor - now if you can just teach that reindeer sitting in the side car to fly, think of the benefits!!!!!!!!!! :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

We are working on that... should happen by next Xmas!!! :D

444203367_4hJCz-L.jpg

Big Bend’s Hot Springs, Tx

So we went to the wrong Hot Springs? Not really… the weather early morning did not allow us to leave, turning to an icicle going down the road was only an option when I was young. The Big Bend Hot Springs are also so much worth their visit. The path leading to it is a magical one displaying its geological age counted in the millions. Remains of the old buildings which were once a “Spa” (!!!) are still standing, their grounds covered with mud from the recent water overflow and now dry and weathered as the skin of a thousand year old being. It was short and sweet, dogs of course are not allowed on the trails and I don’t care for leaving Spirit behind by himself too long. He might get bored!!!

Today is a different story, the winds have died, the sun is hot and my buddy is baking in the sun for his beauty rest of course with no help whatsoever throughout my continuous packing of “Old Faithful”. Tomorrow looks very promising…

More photos on the Blog, don’t miss it if in the area.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

446429471_pVrbX-L.jpg

Big Bend “State Park”. Tx

Wishing everyone a “Happy New Year” filled with much Health and well being inside out.

We just returned from quite an experience in Big Bend “State Park”, not the “National Park”. Amazed at so few people around, and then again we ourselves had never been there and to get there is a lengthy process. The prize at the end is more than worth it, specially if one likes to ride, drive, on dirt road of much variety. From maintained all the way to some leading to primitive campsites where you will need a permit and a very high clearance 4x4 vehicle. Tires? 2 spares is a good idea, a very good one as we had a flat and left open to no spare. One needs to also stop in Presidio for fuel before going in. Besides that there is water, great home cooked meals, hot showers and… even WI FI! Not the greatest but it works for e mails fairly well.

Some of the adventure, the first part, is on the Blog.

Be well, Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef

Ara,

I key off the forum to read the blog, so I missed a couple of blog entries and have now caught up.

It is good you are on the road, and trying out the “new” gear, tires, etc. Loved the meal at the bakery…& I like the tent, etc, but the earlier blog with the message on the stone juxtaposed with the neatly printed and securely posted threat made me profoundly sad. I love this country and we must be capable of better than that.

But isn’t poverty of the spirit worse than being poor?

Dave

The situation is sadder than sad! If you only knew the whole story... I have a CD I would love to mail you. BUT... there is hope... Boquillas is getting some major reconstrcution help... yet... one must drive hours on dirt roads to get there when "we" can see the town 5 minutes away!!!

Your email is not lost... I just need the right time to reply... Thank you.

447988133_QWPh6-L.jpg

More of Big Bend “State Park”. Tx

Back and settled here again at “The Oasis” we are now waiting for some parts for a bit more improved camping. Tent stakes, tire tubes, anything that we cannot purchase here and has to come through the mail. The Park is definitely a destination to go back to, so Dog Friendly that Spirit even thinks so.

The weather has warmed up here, in the eighties today, I am sure when we are ready to take off for Death Valley it will get colder… Murphy’s Law! Bikes run better in cold weather anyhow.

Those were some good days, quiet, great view and great space to spend some time even if it was a bit short for us.

On another front, a rescued Pit “Jasmine” has made the cover of Sport’s Illustrated and that is great news for all Spirit’s cousins as you need to see the photo of another Pit published 22 years ago. Night and day…

Till next time… be well.

Ara & Spirit

449961346_URs3h-L.jpg

The faces of Terlingua, Tx.

If the tale is right, if it is good luck to eat black eye peas on the first of the New Year, well then 2009 should glide by us in flying colors. There was no lack of the many dishes displayed at the Porch in Terlingua on the First. I even made my own the next day to feed Spirit some, after all, he also deserves all the luck he can get.

It was a great day, I like its custom, everyone very colorful, wearing great smiles and even though we are not in Terlingua, or Alpine for that matter, I felt part of a great community.

Today is errands in Alpine, trying to get it all together for us to leave this coming weekend for Death Valley as I am drawn to it at this time of the year. We have never really explored that area and the anticipation to familiarize myself as I have with other spaces is keeping me going.

I hope the weather helps us out, I am looking forward to its photography as much as the riding and learning of its history and geology. Who knows how long we will be gone, no definite plans as usual.

Some faces of Terlingua on the Blog… Be well, always…

Ara & Spirit

451589614_TvayV-XL.jpg

The “Closed Canyon”. Tx

Another destination which was a discovery to me. As always a nice ride on River Road and past Lajitas this jewel of a Canyon, an easy hike with narrow passages, beautiful multi color walls with a spirit of its own when one thinks about the years it has taken to be carved with each flash floods. Square miles and more square miles surrounds us, the new sights are never missing throughout our days of this Journey.

Right now also we have the pleasant experience of a visitor, Kristi, and Adventurer herself and a great rider along with also her cameras to capture her own Journey. It is a good time specially when being around another rider that enjoys photography as much as I do, showing her the sights of the unbeaten paths, the ones not many will see while here only for a few days.

This pushes away a bit our own departure for Death Valley by a couple days, we are not on a schedule… eventually that road will present itself for the taking.

Enjoy the photos of the “Closed Canyon…”

Be well, as always… Ara & Spirit

451589614_TvayV-XL.jpg

The “Closed Canyon”. Tx

Another destination which was a discovery to me. As always a nice ride on River Road and past Lajitas this jewel of a Canyon, an easy hike with narrow passages, beautiful multi color walls with a spirit of its own when one thinks about the years it has taken to be carved with each flash floods. Square miles and more square miles surrounds us, the new sights are never missing throughout our days of this Journey.

Right now also we have the pleasant experience of a visitor, Kristi, and Adventurer herself and a great rider along with also her cameras to capture her own Journey. It is a good time specially when being around another rider that enjoys photography as much as I do, showing her the sights of the unbeaten paths, the ones not many will see while here only for a few days.

This pushes away a bit our own departure for Death Valley by a couple days, we are not on a schedule… eventually that road will present itself for the taking.

Enjoy the photos of the “Closed Canyon…”

Be well, as always… Ara & Spirit

Ara and Spirit,

I was a couple of days behind on your adventures, but have caught up now. I was delighted to see the photos of “Closed Canyon.” It certainly challenges some of the narrow canyons I recall in Capitol Reef.

Speaking of specific locations, I don’t recall you mentioning a GPS, but it would be great to have the coordinates for some of the places you describe. For example, Closed Canyon is quite amazing viewed via Google Earth, and that view adds to your description of the Canyon and River at that point.

For others reading this note, Closed Canyon is at 29.323106, -104.038401.

For someone versed in geology (I’m not) the Rio Grande appears strangely located as though it took a turn down the wrong canyon, and Closed Canyon connects the old and new route. Of course that isn’t the case…..maybe there was a “stream capture” event that explains the parallel valleys connected by Closed Canyon. Anyway, beyond being beautiful in your shots, it is fascinating from above.

Dave

453168594_8HHUt-L.jpg

5 Years ago…

Sometimes the mind has its own complicated way of moving along. On the road some markers will come up without a warning bringing up memories of past years, specially when within the month marking an Anniversary. Such is Life I keep telling myself as time passes by, there is no detour trying to avoid the thoughts, and writing about them helps somehow making it through the faced harder times.

With a Friend visiting and much riding to show her the out of the way sights that numbers this backyard of ours, an Old Movie set seems to have pushed a start switch as ifa 5 year old film started to roll. Writing is such a therapy for me, specially when the words keep talking back, specially when a good Friend is present loaning her share of support. The exchange of thoughts and words heard makes it all a smoother time, so gladly welcomed.

My Blog was never meant to be a ride report or a Dog show, or for that matter sometimes a cooking show and I am thankful for that… It is just another Life story that seem to be rolling on with the punches.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

My Blog was never meant to be a ride report or a Dog show, or for that matter sometimes a cooking show and I am thankful for that… It is just another Life story that seem to be rolling on with the punches.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Blogs are, I think, strange - should I say entity, here - yes, entities. What starts as a daily journal, perhaps, begins to morph in some strange to something entirely different from what was intended.

One of the interesting features of the internet is that people tend to interact with others in ways they never would face to face. They begin to open up - sometimes opening their souls to perfect strangers. A blog that was intended to convey one thing, I beleive, may turn into a mirror of one's thoughts and, yes, even one's soul.

Whatever your blog has become, Ara, perhaps different from what you envisioned when you started, it has touched all of us in some way or other. Some will see your blog as a very interesting road trip; others may be inspired by what you write; for some others it may change their way of life.

Safe journey - follow your path, and your hawk, to wherever it may lead you.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Be well… Ara & Spirit

Blogs are, I think, strange - should I say entity, here - yes, entities. What starts as a daily journal, perhaps, begins to morph in some strange way to something entirely different from what was intended.

One of the interesting features of the internet is that people tend to interact with others in ways they never would face to face. They begin to open up - sometimes opening their souls to perfect strangers. A blog that was intended to convey one thing, I beleive, may turn into a mirror of one's thoughts and, yes, even one's soul.

Whatever your blog has become, Ara, perhaps different from what you envisioned when you started, it has touched all of us in some way or other. Some will see your blog as a very interesting road trip; others may be inspired by what you write; for some others it may change their way of life.

Safe journey - follow your path, and your hawk, to wherever it may lead you. I think this forum would be a bit emptier without your posts

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

Blogs are, I think, strange - should I say entity, here - yes, entities. What starts as a daily journal, perhaps, begins to morph in some strange way to something entirely different from what was intended.

Safe journey - follow your path, and your hawk, to wherever it may lead you. I think this forum would be a bit emptier without your posts

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Alex,

Well said, and very true! And I think I caught a bit of the inner Alex as well.

Dave

Thank you both... we are one big Family... aren't we?

453842313_SmEjo-M.jpg

The Makings of a Friend, Tx

Riding and photography are two hobbies generally spend with time alone, in our case anyhow as so few can have the patience for each other. They are both a mind set when we try to get into that space and close all foreign elements to enable us reaching a sense of accomplishment and pleasure. Of course tastes differs.

It was a surprise to meet a Friend, send here by another reader, enjoying the same thoughts as I have and sharing some of the off beaten path spaces around this area.

There is so much to see and feel that one needs to forget the quantity, forget time and enjoy instead the quality of the moment. That is exactly what we accomplished for three days.

The Indian Trail, the “swimming hole”, River Rd and an old now battered movie set, they were all our destinations throughout these shortened and cold days.

Neither of us are use to any company really, but I have to admit that being on the same wave length as someone else made those three days very pleasant.

More on the Blog…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

453842313_SmEjo-M.jpg

Riding and photography are two hobbies generally spend with time alone, in our case anyhow as so few can have the patience for each other. They are both a mind set when we try to get into that space and close all foreign elements to enable us reaching a sense of accomplishment and pleasure. Of course tastes differs.

It was a surprise to meet a Friend, send here by another reader, enjoying the same thoughts as I have and sharing some of the off beaten path spaces around this area.

There is so much to see and feel that one needs to forget the quantity, forget time and enjoy instead the quality of the moment. That is exactly what we accomplished for three days.

The Indian Trail, the “swimming hole”, River Rd and an old now battered movie set, they were all our destinations throughout these shortened and cold days.

Neither of us are use to any company really, but I have to admit that being on the same wave length as someone else made those three days very pleasant.

More on the Blog…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

453842313_SmEjo-M.jpg

More on the Blog…

Be well… Ara & Spirit