American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Lifelong Journey On The Road...

beemerchef

Ara and Spirit, you are living a life many dream of, but do not have the courage to take the first step. You are your own person, Spirit is your guardian. Here's wishing you many, many more miles of discovery, many more new friends and the continuing courage to keep doing what seems to suit you the best.

Safe travels to you both.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Ara and Spirit, you are living a life many dream of, but do not have the courage to take the first step. You are your own person, Spirit is your guardian. Here's wishing you many, many more miles of discovery, many more new friends and the continuing courage to keep doing what seems to suit you the best.

Safe travels to you both.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Thanks Alex...

1102729588_4tAfE-M.jpg

Of Days to come... TX

Suddenly it is all about Thanksgiving. Generally spend in our Desert, maybe a pot luck in years past for a couple hours or so, but not this year. We our on our way to Tucson, yes again, it is a happy occasion... what's another 1200 miles to spend a few days with a good Friend, great company and I know good food. The pull for such decision was strong, I would like to say I left it in Spirit's hands, but it was not so. :-)

The ride is of a familiar one, yet seeing what I had not seen before is an easy task, almost a game and tunes make the miles go by with a bit more pleasantness.

A bit earlier, a new space we found being invited at Bed and Breakfast in Marathon we had never been or honestly never even heard of. “Eve's Garden”, 10 years of build up, a magical and colorful papercrete dwelling, or should I say dwellings with 8 guest rooms and what was to me as a maze and a photographer's playground.

Short and sweet, I hope everyone is in good company with good Friends as it should be, good Food as is always is...

Happy Thanksgiving

Be Safe and well

Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com Our Journey under the Stars…

www.theoasisofmysoul.com/zenphoto/ Our new Photo Gallery...

• 2 weeks later...

1113462989_a7LWv-L.jpg

Where is your “Silver Spoon”? Tucson.AZ

This “Thanksgiving” has brought new meaning to our Journey, without a doubt. The feeling is of a powerful one, the mind and soul here are set to make it a daily “Thanksgiving”. And why not? We have so much to be thankful for, it is so easy, too easy to let that day go by and forget it all. The path is brought in and served by a “Silver Spoon” if we only take the time to grab it's handle. We are still in Tucson, had a bit of a medical situation yesterday in the form of a possible “hernia” which turned out to be true. Mild it is and with a bit of rest we should be good to go on Monday back to “The Oasis”, the always magical space awaiting for us. We will miss much, there is no doubt. One day at the time it is always our sentiment. Not much riding but much cooking here in a full and well pointed kitchen, enjoy the photos... they are all part of the Journey present. The never ending one.

Be Safe and well

Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1119740379_RyspJ-L.jpg

A walk in the wash... Tucson. AZ

I almost feel as we both deserve a medal for finishing the 400 miles back to “The Oasis” yesterday. Not normally a big accomplishment, except for Spirit who as a real trooper never complaining of the miles, but only thinking so because of this not going away hernia pain. I am too well aware it will not vanish on it's own, now comes the steps trying to figure it all out as far as surgery, a task in itself when no Health Insurance is available. I know as always a door will open to take away this one more obstacle. One has to stay on the positive track of it all. On the much plus side also the weather cooperated with us in such an incredible way. December and still no heated gear needed with the added attraction of a tail wind which made “Old Faithful” purr every ongoing mile. We had a chance in Tucson to hike a beautiful wash the other day, it was deserted, different Desert from here, different cactus's, an open door to experience Mother Nature so close to an Urban environment. We also cooked a lot these past couple weeks and the recipes going up on the Journal are only a matter of time. Enjoy... we sure did!

Be Safe and well

Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1119740379_RyspJ-L.jpg

Absolutely GORGEOUS picture!!!!

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* 06/2011.RT=us66+NW USA*

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"No store bought gifts to open, but there'll be Christmas just the same" ... Kenny Rogers ... 'Kentucky Homemade Christmas'

Thank you... it was pretty magical!

1125528787_xic4G-M.jpg

The loss of time... TX

Lots of cooking happens always in a nice kitchen and I finally had a chance to go through the photos and post some of the recipes. “Melted Brie cups...”, “Spanakopita...” and more. And on now it is sitting here packing up to go back to Tucson for both the Holidays and hernia surgery. In that order! I will be driving and one more time as when I went to see my Mother in Germany “Old Faithful” will stay behind. Not Spirit though! That is a big break. What happened to the uneventful winter I thought we would have? In my more recent entry I posted a video which I try to watch everyday. It is about living “the moment”. An aspect I am finding more and more so important as the years go by and the unexpected is always around the corner. I hope you enjoy it and opens up a new door with a fresh outlook on the days to come. Short bursts of riding is about all we have been able to do lately, cabin fever does not suit us very well. Amazingly riding is not too bad on the hernia, not as bad as forgetting about it and trying to lift much, as everything around here weighs much it seems like! Winter only made it's mark one day with a morning temperature of... 12! No complains, I do know about the blizzards up north. We are here very thankful and fortunate as we should always be.

Be Safe and well

Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

Good luck, Ara. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays for you and Spirit.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Thank you Alex, Likewise from us...

1129825479_RRYZy-M.jpg

Crossroads of Times... Texas

We have stood there at “The Oasis” for days, unable to ride more than 60 miles a day, and that is with paying a painful physical price. A flat tire this morning while on our way to check the mail, and that did it... “White Elephant”, 23” RV, has come to the rescue and we have started our trek back to Tucson where the Holidays will come first followed by my hernia surgery. Great plan! It is comfort, warmth, easy travel, maybe too easy, yet very odd as besides four wheels we are on foot and will make the best of it. We made it as far as Alpine today, a huge 60 miles, some food shopping which “how nice, it can go directly in the fridge”, some hardware stuff as always and a nap which took me almost beyond Sunset, awaken by ambulance and police car sirens, the train passing by and whistling to no end and now for some unknown reason a dog on-stop barking in the distance. Poor Dog, I know his throat is going to be so sore. Spirit here on the other hand is also nice and comfy. I know even with his coat and heated blanket it must be cold for him in the hack. I almost forgot to feed him tonight throughout this new path we are on. The one aspect I have enjoyed so far is the lack of attention we always attract. It is as traveling “incognito”. The main aspect of it all however as I have written in my Journal is the fact that for the first time in years the Holiday Spirit has descended on me, on us.

Be Safe and well

Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1132918405_8BYyT-M.jpg

Being “flinchy” today... Marfa, Texas

It was a couple days on the road, everything going through my mind suddenly piled high up, driving instead of riding, Lance again not being present for the Holidays, the thought of his seventh Anniversary coming up, surgery around the corner, more... All is well now, momentary “madness” maybe, “winter blues”... driving blues! When will I ever learn to live the “moment” as Spirit does? That's right... I am only “human”.

If you have ever driven through Marfa and stopped at the “Food Shark” for lunch, well, you are out of luck for the few coming days. Adam and Krista tied the knot on that same evening we had decided to spend the night in town. I was invited for the reception, a full on display of food, a couple wedding cakes and Music which I know went on for most of the night.

Not a time for Adventures I guess, or better “I know”. We will be in Tucson in a couple of days, I think that is where the true sketch of these Holidays will start. I could not be happier we are not spending them alone as these past years.

And just in case “Happy Holidays”... or is it too soon?

Be Safe and well

Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

Thank you... it was pretty magical!

You are welcome. I can imagine how magical it was to see that "live". Sunsets are just so gorgeous. It can be frustrating at times, because sometimes the pictures just do not do them justice.

And ... the food in your latest pic looks scrumptious. Thoughts/prayers en route for the upcoming surgery. And, it's never too late ... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |

** RadioShow.CDshowcase.HOLIDAY | Friday | 12.24.2010 | 12:30p-4:30p.CENTRAL = www.WRMN1410.com **

"May your days be merry and bright" ... Irving Berlin/Bing Crosby ... 'White Christmas'

You are welcome. I can imagine how magical it was to see that "live". Sunsets are just so gorgeous. It can be frustrating at times, because sometimes the pictures just do not do them justice.

And ... the food in your latest pic looks scrumptious. Thoughts/prayers en route for the upcoming surgery. And, it's never too late ... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

** RadioShow.CDshowcase.HOLIDAY | Friday | 12.24.2010 | 12:30p-4:30p.CENTRAL = www.WRMN1410.com **

"May your days be merry and bright" ... Irving Berlin/Bing Crosby ... 'White Christmas'

Thanks! Here is another one from Mt Lemon!!!...

1141537339_ysYGT-L.jpg

And on Christmas Day and beyond. AZ

I read the other day a good comment expressing our domestication onward from moving off the grid for the time being till surgery happens in a couple days. Enjoying the moment is always the path we are on and so these days are not any different than previous others. I sure can close my eyes and be transported back into our Desert, Mountain tops and Valleys we have so many times crossed, they are all memories which enhances the present, yet, the Holidays are lived gracefully and joyfully by both Spirit and I, my beautiful Friend Robin, wet nose Audrey and Ms. Cool Cat Lovey. Always much cooking, seemingly many errands which make me wonder how I manage with so few of those in our normal environment. The City must be conductive to jumping from store to store always needing something, maybe as jumping from boulder to boulder needing the feel of Mother Nature. I felt it when we took a drive up toMt Lemon the other day before today's bad and beautiful weather. Just in case... have a Great and Happy New Year as every Day should be.

Be Safe and well

Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

Edited by beemerchef

Thanks! Here is another one from Mt Lemon!!!...

1141537339_ysYGT-L.jpg

You are welcome ... and another cool shot. It's amazing how photogenic "mother nature" is.

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Have a happy holiday" ... Brenda Lee ... 'Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree'

1146748628_bfBHJ-L.jpg

2 4 1... Tucson, AZ

How could I ever turn down a two for one hernia repair? I have to think in a bizarre way about the good Karma of pain a couple days ago when the previously twice repaired right side started to create much discomfort. A quick word to the surgeon only minutes before the procedure about this new incident and now fixed up on both side as the old mesh had slipped away causing a wrongful blood flow. Close call, this could have been happening in the near future needing again another surgery. What good fortune! Slow going, very slow, barely off the neutral switch and happy we had gone out on New Year's Day to visit the Mission San Xavier a few miles south of us. Coincidentally it is where the stabbing pains started. Say no more, Life has it's mysterious ways. Enjoy the photos on the Journal mixed in with also some of my present favorite quotes.

Be Safe and well

Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1151358996_4CMep-L.jpg

A stroll down 4th avenue, Tucson. AZ

A long intermission these past days they have seemed to be. Laid back while reading a new issue of "Overland Journal", the pages filled with adventures and photos of spaces not so foreign in the past are not helping for me to stay put. So it has only been 5 days since surgery, there is much improvement, not as much as needed however in the patience department. No lifting, none of this and that, even the mind has become a bit slow in the thinking department. We did manage a couple afternoons ago a mini adventure strolling up and down 4th Avenue in Tucson under perfect weather, a street filled with colorful characters, restaurants, coffee shops and gift shops from mostly local Artists. That has been it... Thinking about the northerners snowed in for the winter helps, yet, I know what is awaiting for us in the south... Fair weather, rides, maybe even camping in those remote areas I seek for. So I can dream for now and wait and wait... Enjoy the photos on the Journal.

Be Safe and well

Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1159119343_XM7cb-L.gif

Reddington Rd. AZ

Sometimes the ride cannot be of the desired one. “Old Faithful” is nicely still tucked in in Texas as we should be returning in about a week or so. In the meantime it is the “luxury” of an SUV with my Friend Robin, the dogs... Audrey and Spirit (yes, Spirit has a new buddy... girlfriend?) which has taken us on our first outing since surgery. I had never realized the abundance of unpaved roads within a 100 mile radius of Tucson as slowly with much fun and... food (!!!) we took on our first outing. It has been as a scouting day trip, roads we will return to when the flowers and the lush greens are in bloom all in this midst of winter right now being a bit more on the mute side. Left over roasted chicken, home made hummus, so was the banana bread, nicely al dented peeled and cooked asparagus, the list went on as I was in charge of the picnic part of it, well, also the route with however very little driving for myself. Try the loop sometime while in the area, well worth it. Not designed for a street car or street motorcycle, dual sport either way will do.

Be Safe and well

Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1163790593_DNqe4-L.jpg

A jaunt to “St David” and the “Dragoon Mountains”... almost. AZ

Tomorrow is the big day, the point of return as “Old Faithful” is still 600 miles away tucked in this shipping container I call “the green giant”, laying alone in the vast Desert of Big Bend Flats. We will crank her up Sunday when we get there, for no other reason than starting her up since we left her with a flat tire. Well taken care of here it was a ride in an SUV instead wishing it did not have a windshield! No complains, acceptance is always the key of it all allowing for the balance we need daily. We first stopped in Vail, little village and then on St David where the Trinity Monastery was a nice source of photographs and some well deserved silence after being in this present urban environment. On then to almost Tombstone where we took an eastbound road with the thought of making it to the foothills of “Dragoon Mountains”. Still healing, washboard road, all those facts present did not allow us to go much further than about 15 miles... bouncy and more bouncy... There will be a next time when we will actually reach Cochise's Stronghold. Enjoy the photos...

Be Safe and well

Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1146748628_bfBHJ-L.jpg

That is SHARP!

:)

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * 06.2011_RT=us66+NW USA

"When you're surrounded by friends, they say the fun never ends" __ Glen Campbell __ 'Country Boy'

1170666905_mt8oy-L.jpg

“Seven Candles”. TX

A couple days ago was the Anniversary of my Son's “Lance” seven year passing away. He is part of this Journey, always has been, he is the reason for Spirit and I living on this path we call our “road”. He is the one that keeps us going, that gives me the courage as to not abandon it all, daily, nightly, hourly often, as the alternative as provocative also might be has yet no words spelled within this Life of ours. We have been back at “The Oasis” now for those days, the vast “empty spaces” as I also label this area and besides a bit of riding on the saddle, “Old Faithful” turning her wheels again for a few miles I am only waiting for a better healing and gaining some strength. The beautiful weather here has been a gift, the temperature showed over 80 this afternoon and the nights, well, the blanket of Stars are back again as just walked back from a short stroll and the skies never cease to amaze me. I am a step away to pack up all the camping gear laid out without any order these past couple months and head out with no direction chosen, Spirit is ready, unfortunately my body is not yet. More patience, I keep counting the days after this one evening lighting up “Seven Candles” around a roaring fire with my thoughts in mind.

Soon.

Be safe and well.

Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com

5th year on the road...

1174604765_HX2Bm-L.jpg

Chasing the clouds in and out of Big Bend Park. TX

Winter was kind to us a couple days ago. It showed it's sunny and warm face following a couple days cooped up with a severe case of cabin fever. Enough was enough. Not quite suppose to be riding, but... while taking it easy the temptation was greater than the threats from the surgeon. An early breakfast in Terlingua and on into the Park, that is Big Bend National Park. It had been a long time for us, short in others considerations I realize, over a month. The roads were bare from traffic as Spring Break is yet not here, the vast empty spaces for as far as one can see and a regained slow pace was the greatest prescription would could have used. For the both of us. It was as I had suddenly regained my composure, as if the balance of it all one more time was just perfect as stopping when we felt like it, eating when hungry, taking photos of nothing and everything, time had finally seemingly stopped it's clock. What a day it was, the photos will prove it. We will be looking for more of those days.

Be safe and well.

Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com

5th year on the road...

1179366236_Jp7qK-L.jpg

Hot Coffee, 0 Degrees and a good Dog Book... TX

These past days have been a bit rough for us, the temps dropping to as never before, yet, there is no complain when I witness the inches and inches of snow accumulating north of us. We actually had some great days being the most lazy ones we have had in a while. Not much outdoor activities while dressed in more layers than I can count, only to hook up some more propane and more propane, let Spirit run who himself after a few minutes would make the fastest run I have ever seen him do for indoor. A day or two have now past and besides strong winds all is back to normal, coats are put away, even trying to light up a fire to bake some bread and roast a chicken in the Dutch Oven. It is after all Sunday, it was an old custom in Europe a few Centuries ago everyone being able to roast a chicken for dinner. I think tomorrow will see us riding again, maybe River Road on to Presidio, I am sure I will see something I had never seen before, only looked at in the recent past. Enjoy the “winter photos” and my thoughts on this great Book I am now reading.

Be safe and well.

Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com

5th year on the road...

1185599057_RLUQk-L.jpg

There is a frenzy around here... TX

82 degrees today. Nights are still cool, of course... we are still in winter times, spring felt however when this warm sunshine hovers over us. It has been time for outdoors, cooking again over the fire, bread, whole roasted chicken and much more to come as my Friend Robin and her critters are coming down to visit us, it is after all Valentines Day soon.

For those wondering why I have chosen this Nomadic Life, specially as spring.summer.fall is around the corner and the roads far from us will call us, already have, a new Friend of mine, Becca Baker, has been published at StubbyDog with a very well written article about us, a tribute to Lance, the Journey and of course Spirit. This would be the first time someone does not for some editorial reasons twists the words concurred with me through an interview. I thought I would enter it in my Journal for everyone's benefit of understanding.

In the meantime it s a bit of cleaning around here, or maybe just shuffling the constant dust with live with from here to there...

Enjoy the article, I did.

Be safe and well.

Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com

5th year on the road...

1191280416_W2Lhy-L.jpg

On and around Valentines Day... TX

It has been an unusual week with the shadows of Valentines Day now behind us. Us meaning Robin, Audrey, (Spirit's four legged girl friend), Spirit and Miss Lovey, always the Cool Cat, a great traveler. Neither of us being for quantity, versus quality of time spend, it has been relaxing times with only a couple rides to show off the neighborhood. A ride to the “Swimming Hole”, which might be after the next rain probably be the last time as the road is already half way washed out, one long day through the Park down Maverick road to Santa Helena Canyon and back through Castolon with a jaunt to the Basin and it's Lodge, short stop overs at Sotol Look Out and Mules Ears. This ride is my favorite one expanding the geological diversity of the Park. There is a saying here which goes as such... “When Earth was created all the left overs were dumped in Big Bend”. Much cooking over the fire, sunsets always the back drops of our wonderful evenings, full Moon last night lighting up this vast empty spaces as almost daylight. The weather a bit on the warm side, it hit 104 yesterday in full sun, but will take it over the past teen's we have had here in recent past.

More in the Journal...

Be safe and well.

Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com

5th year on the road...

1194970666_yyYWX-M.jpg

Thanking my Present Destiny... TX

We have sat here pretty much these past winters. I always thought this is a good space for us, as it is, and yet, lately I have been thinking, even telling some Friends about being over-saturated with the area. Kind of like “been there, done that... too many times”. I have even added, sometimes, we will not be back here next winter. A funny thing happen however the other day while playing guide in Big Bend Park with Robin while she was visiting us for a week or so, as she pointed out this and that, I realized that I had seen nothing yet. For someone such as me who travels the roads with such a slow pace, it was a big surprise. I actually was shocked when I realize I had never noticed this rock formation, or that one, or even some roads foreign to me. It reminded me of my Life when working in Florida and living on a sailboat and yet, never going to the beach.

We don't have long here, I started going the camping gear today, will probably do a dry run into... the Park itself for a few nights and toward Death Valley we will go. Follow the weather, follow the path as always as it is calling us more than ever.

So... some more photos of Big Bend Park in the Journal this time.

Be safe and well.

Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com

5th year on the road...

1185599057_RLUQk-L.jpg

There is a frenzy around here... TX

82 degrees today. Nights are still cool, of course... we are still in winter times, spring felt however when this warm sunshine hovers over us. It has been time for outdoors, cooking again over the fire, bread, whole roasted chicken and much more to come as my Friend Robin and her critters are coming down to visit us, it is after all Valentines Day soon.

For those wondering why I have chosen this Nomadic Life, specially as spring.summer.fall is around the corner and the roads far from us will call us, already have, a new Friend of mine, Becca Baker, has been published at StubbyDog with a very well written article about us, a tribute to Lance, the Journey and of course Spirit. This would be the first time someone does not for some editorial reasons twists the words concurred with me through an interview. I thought I would enter it in my Journal for everyone's benefit of understanding.

In the meantime it s a bit of cleaning around here, or maybe just shuffling the constant dust with live with from here to there...

Enjoy the article, I did.

Be safe and well.

Peace, Love and Courage.

Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com

5th year on the road...

Ara,

Your link does not lead to the article at StubbyDog.com, but I will leave that to you to correct if you wish. I read it with interest because I knew it represented your perspective of yourself, your journey, and your feelings about life. She did an excellent job, and I'm happy to say I felt it rang true, as I know of you through what you write and photograph. My best to you and Spirit, and may you continue to be well and prosper in the ways you choose.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Ara,

Your link does not lead to the article at StubbyDog.com, but I will leave that to you to correct if you wish. I read it with interest because I knew it represented your perspective of yourself, your journey, and your feelings about life. She did an excellent job, and I'm happy to say I felt it rang true, as I know of you through what you write and photograph. My best to you and Spirit, and may you continue to be well and prosper in the ways you choose.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road!

Hi Dave... how have you been?

The link here goes to my Journal, but the link on the Journal goes to StubbyDog. I just checked it.

Don't ask why I did it that way!!!...

Spring is around the corner... the road is calling! Of course nothing to complain here with the mild temps.

Thanks and be well... Ara & Spirit