American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Lifelong Journey On The Road...

beemerchef

Thank you both... we are one big Family... aren't we?

453842313_SmEjo-M.jpg

The Makings of a Friend, Tx

Riding and photography are two hobbies generally spend with time alone, in our case anyhow as so few can have the patience for each other. They are both a mind set when we try to get into that space and close all foreign elements to enable us reaching a sense of accomplishment and pleasure. Of course tastes differs.

It was a surprise to meet a Friend, send here by another reader, enjoying the same thoughts as I have and sharing some of the off beaten path spaces around this area.

There is so much to see and feel that one needs to forget the quantity, forget time and enjoy instead the quality of the moment. That is exactly what we accomplished for three days.

The Indian Trail, the “swimming hole”, River Rd and an old now battered movie set, they were all our destinations throughout these shortened and cold days.

Neither of us are use to any company really, but I have to admit that being on the same wave length as someone else made those three days very pleasant.

More on the Blog…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

www.theoasisofmysoul.com our website and Blog

455552542_owBVr-L.jpg

Time to “reboot“, Tx

When one meets and finds Friendship awakening long lost feelings of happiness, that “one” being “myself”, I can only find it proper to dedicate my thoughts on this Blog to her, my Friend being Kristi, having spend a few days here, in this calm “Oasis” of ours poking the mind to find a better balance.

She is gone now, back to her own Life, we are here now back to what I feel will be a new Life on higher grounds wearing a bigger smile. The smiles were complemented yesterday by riding a new road which the locals call “Valley of the Moon” passing by “Ice Cream Mountain”. More Masterpieces from the hands of Mother Nature working so hard to show us the beauty that surrounds us.

The road leading was an easy one in most places, a bit more challenging crossing a few dry creek beds, sometimes having to walk it first considering the fact that turning the hack around is a more difficult task than when being on two wheels.

The Treasures are all around us, again this was out of the beaten path, as we like it.

Enjoy the Photos…

Be well, Ara & Spirit

456840239_cChnn-L.jpg

The Ghost Town of Shafter, Tx

A beautiful day, 300 miles of blue ribbon roads, a Ghost Town to wander with camera and senses in hand, Spirit in a jovial mood… what else can one wish for winter times?

I like Ghost Towns, they make me think a lot as they also make me imagine the past lives living on the same very same steps I take. Shafter also has a great Memorial Historical building always open with many photos hanging, stories as one could spend hours feeling part of it all.

We are taking off tomorrow morning for a couple weeks to the Hill Country. It is that time, cold or not, they called us… Del Rio first and then on north to some spaces we have been told to not miss. Have to be back by the 3rd for a Doctor’s appointment and then it will be on to Death Valley for February. They say it is good month for it. I am sure I will find Internet connections as we go along, but activating RSS feed is always the sure way to keep up with the Blog which I voice tape while traveling and eventually type with some strange results sometimes. We also have been loaned a SPOT for “help”, “emergencies” and also the tracking feature has been enabled. The link is on the Blog.

Be well… give us a wave! Ara & Spirit

Camels in Texas - certainly. I beleive you'd find they dated back to before the civil war. Fellow name of Jeff Davis, Secretary of War around 1848 had something to do with it.

The idea was dropped at the start of the Civil War, the camels were sold to private owners and some escaped into the wilds of the southwest.

More on this noble experiment can be found at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Camel_Corps

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Cool research. The one I petted was very nice, beautiful odd animals... Thanks!

459236784_5vpuw-L.jpg

To the Texas Hill Country, Tx

Being here now, in Leaky, after a not so good first 24hrs through Del Rio, how can one not fall in love with the area! We had never been here before and now I want to know all the back roads, the dirt roads, every single little town with it’s history, geology, you name it. I understand why everyone comes riding here, they are also perfect roads for a little bit of fun with the sidecar as the curves not being as tight as in Georgia, North Carolina or adjacent States. They are perfect. Many streams, rivers, photo opportunities, with clear waters in transparency with their bottom painted in their multitude colors of sand and erosion.

The people are the nicest they can be, we are having a great experience at the “Camp Live Oak” a couple miles north where they let us camp, use their power and WI FI, even feeding me these both nights! And yet, we are traveling I feel at fast speeds as we will head east tomorrow a bit to meet some Friends for a few days. The taste of the Hills has now been acquired! We shall return again soon.

Be well… always. Ara & Spirit

462103032_xqrEK-L.jpg

Houston, Tx

And why not? I received an e mail yesterday from a reader totally amazed to the fact that we could even be near by Houston. Picking our days we actually spend most of Saturday and Sunday downtown with my Friend Kristi playing the landscape, the skyscraper lines, the moving targets, all with our cameras in front of a dreary background as the weather has turned cold and gray.

Surrounded by her Family when back in her lively home, it has been time to do much cooking, conversations, a taste of an urban Life that both Spirit and I have been bypassing for a long time now. We will start heading back west soon, more Hill Country as we have barely skimmed the surface. Life on the road, a multi direction voyage never ceasing to surprise myself on a daily basis.

The sidecar rig has been in the garage, Old Faithful is resting for these couple days as she is nearing her 200,000 mile mark.

Enjoy the photos, they are of the Hills in the Blog.

Be well… Ara & Spirit

463417118_MFx4o-L.jpg

Riding back to “The Oasis”…

Cold snap, night time ice, a couple more days in the Hills. Seems to have to order tires every time I turn around, hopefully they will meet us soon to enable us to take off for Death Valley within ten days at the most. We had much fun downtown Houston, I will have to remember that any Big City can be fun on the weekend when the streets are fairly deserted. The gray skies those two days have added another dimension to all these man made masses of cement, metal and glass standing in front of us. There is an Artistry to it, nothing in my eyes however comparable to Nature itself.

We should be back most likely Friday, I can taste the space awaiting us, same as I will be able to again taste the roads once out of “The Oasis”. It is always the same story! When here, want to be there… when there, want to be here. Trying to keep the balance of it all.

Today we rode “Old Tunnel Rd”, “Grapetown Rd” and “Willow City loop. Endless incredible roads, not much for photography however, but discovered other roads for future photos! Of course. Enjoy downtown Houston…

Be well… Ara & Spirit

465662377_Zm57g-M.jpg

The short way back… Tx

More roads in the Hill Country discovered and put aside for the next round when not under a time restrain. The variety is intense. Some great for riding and some incredible for both riding and photography. Will try to make it back when the wild flowers are blooming making the shoulders and waterfalls of the rivers flowing through some, I am sure, incredible backdrops.

The ride back yesterday was pleasant with a tail wind that moved us smoothly here to “The Oasis” which always welcomes us with open arms.

We are again surrounded by the serenity and silence of the Big Bend Valley.

We rode and stopped in Fredericksburg to look at the old buildings and weathered old doors and stones, we photographed “Stonehenge” and ate the best BBQ I have ever had at “Cooper’s” in Llano. Trying not to look at the photos I took while eating, what a shame it is not next door specially that Spirit also totally agreed with my taste buds.

More photos on the Blog…

Be well, Ara & Spirit

Ara and Spirit,

I have to say as much as you are not in harmony with the “City,” your photos were still terrific. Probably the best city shots I have ever enjoyed.

I have looked at your SPOT tracking. It is interesting, and helpful in following your route.

I bet it is good to get back to the wide open spaces!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Ara and Spirit,

I have to say as much as you are not in harmony with the “City,” your photos were still terrific. Probably the best city shots I have ever enjoyed.

I have looked at your SPOT tracking. It is interesting, and helpful in following your route.

I bet it is good to get back to the wide open spaces!

Dave

I had a good guide. She herself is a city girl and empty spaces all at the same time. Funny you say that because the first day I was totally lost! A lot of those shots I credit to her as she directed me into the angles, lights and details as I did for her when she visited me here a bit earlier. The second day I was fine. I have many more shots, will eventually put them on the Gallery, hoping to do this before I leave for Death Valley. Speaking of roads, I basically want us to get there and I am torn between taking I-10 (horror for me...) of back roads after El Paso, northern or southern depending on the weather. I dislike so much to set up a tent for one night. In warmer weather I would just sleep in a bivi bag by the bike but not the case now... input maybe?

Thank you Dave... it does feel good to be here again!

Be well, always. Ara

466999614_4vUPd-L.jpg

Before Death Valley…

Incessant questions arises always within down time as we have been back to “The Oasis” after experiencing a few pages of the “urban” chapter of this Journey. This “is” the space to think truly, amazingly a fact I had not expected when deciding to base camp here for most of the winter. It is all good…

This might be our last day before leaving tomorrow for Death Valley. Something new… we will take the Freeway all the way! Not an attraction for sure but I just want to get there as back roads will take us over a month knowing very well how distracted I can be! 300 miles or so per day, about 140 miles the last day, we should arrive in 4 days. Never planned a route as I have this time, feels a bit strange, will see how it works out. We will probably stay a month or so, plenty of time to get familiar with the area, listen to I am sure some great tips as to where to go and not. Stovewell Campground at first till we discover better primitive camping areas. Our SPOT will be turned on, not too exciting however the first days!

Some more photos of our last adventures are on the Blog.

Be well…. Ara & Spirit

468868531_LWapz-L.jpg

Freeways to Death Valley…

Texas to New Mexico was great as after arriving in Van Horn we were able to stay on the back roads all the way to El Paso which we bypassed. And then… now in Casa Grande we had to bite the bullet and ride the Freeway. Of course Murphy’s Law gave us a heavy nose wind dropping us down to 60mph at times and a great upper body work out! It lightened up, started over for some reason every time I read the “dust storm might form” big yellow sign! So it is par for the course. 470 miles from Death Valley right now tomorrow will put us close only if we stop… stopping so often! Old Faithful is doing well, she just turned 200,000 miles today, amazing machine with a unique soul she has been.

Calling for some storms tomorrow maybe while going through Las Vegas, we are well protected, 100% waterproof, except for gloves…

Off the Freeway photos on the Blog…

Till next time, from Death Valley, be well…

Ara & Spirit

472564649_zNWJe-L.jpg

Elevation “Zero”… Death Valley, Ca

Isolation makes it hard to post anything on the Internet, but somehow always manage to do so for my Blog. Slow, very slow connection is making it almost impossible for Forums. RSS feed (bottom of Blog opening page) and yet still checking the Blog every two to three days will be the only way throughout these times for anyone to stay with us!

One of the worse storm they have ever experienced has come through here a couple days ago. Most the non paved roads are closed, our stay might be a bit shorter as even when opening the grounds will be too soft and muddy for us to ride on.

Mother Nature sure has painted some beautiful images surrounding us throughout this vast and past Ocean bottom. A full Moon rising makes it all even better with temperatures a bit on the chilly side but tolerable.

The Dunes and other spaces photographed are on the Blog and recent past archives.

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

Ara,

I have never been to Death Valley….not the one you see. Almost every photo stops me to savor the shapes and light. Each is the best ever. The first photo actually brought tears to my eyes…words fail.

Have a safe trip!

Dave

475566174_pCacA-M.jpg

Mother Nature’s arms, Death Valley, Ca

Couple Blogs later I now have down time to post here a bit more while on our way back to “The Oasis”. It has been rough, cold, windy… I have to use the word “miserable”!!! Luckily with good Friends here in Kingman trying to regroup for the last 900 miles that will take us back I hope to some warmer and calmer weather. What was I thinking traveling in this fashion in the middle of winter? A miracle maybe! Overseeing what was within us in Texas to reach some spaces the wrong time of the year. I think I will kiss the grounds when we get back. We did manage to check out Dante’s peak, the outside only of Scotty’s Castle as coyotes in the parking lot would not cohabitate too well with Spirit while I took a tour. National Parks are so tough for us that we will have to avoid them in the future. There is still besides them many sights awaiting us where dogs are welcome and not frowned upon. More on the Blog…

Be well, always. Ara & my buddy Spirit

475566174_pCacA-M.jpg

Mother Nature’s arms, Death Valley, Ca

Couple Blogs later I now have down time to post here a bit more while on our way back to “The Oasis”. It has been rough, cold, windy… I have to use the word “miserable”!!! Luckily with good Friends here in Kingman trying to regroup for the last 900 miles that will take us back I hope to some warmer and calmer weather. What was I thinking traveling in this fashion in the middle of winter? A miracle maybe! Overseeing what was within us in Texas to reach some spaces the wrong time of the year. I think I will kiss the grounds when we get back. We did manage to check out Dante’s peak, the outside only of Scotty’s Castle as coyotes in the parking lot would not cohabitate too well with Spirit while I took a tour. National Parks are so tough for us that we will have to avoid them in the future. There is still besides them many sights awaiting us where dogs are welcome and not frowned upon. More on the Blog…

Be well, always. Ara & my buddy Spirit

Ara,

I was so looking forward to your extended visit to Death Valley and thoughts on Titus Canyon, the Racetrack, and Eureka Dunes. Having been there twice in the last 18 months and 3 times in the last 4 years I know how fickle and extreme the valley can be. I think if you had been a month earlier during our January heat wave or a month later you would have faired better.

On our visit there last April we had the perfect weather with temperatures in the mid 70's and all roads open. We were even treated to a flyby by the shuttle and space station (2 very bright stars moving through the sky) during our evening meal. Afterwards the Navy showed off their stuff with night ops over the desert. A perfect camping trip.

On the previous stay while camping with my son's Boy Scout Troop we had perfect weather for 3 days and on the last night we were hit with a ferocious windstorm that broke tent poles and had scouts eating meals in the shelter of the restrooms. You could hear the wind build in intensity until it sounded like a freight train was coming at you. Seconds later the tent would be shaking violently and sand would be pelting the outside of the tent. It went on like that all night long and into the next morning.

On my visit 4 years ago I entered the valley from the west and was greeted by an incoming storm that left half a years worth of rain overnight. At least I was able to figure out why the CalTrans trucks had snow plows on them in a desert, or should I say mudplows? The next day it was absolutely perfect.

Cheers and have a safe trip home.

Roadhound

Well, that sounds like a totally different place... bad timing, first time on our 3 years or so on the road... will return. Thanks for writing.

479471005_Yn38E-M-1.jpg

A slight detour and some Bloody Mary mix, Tx

Back at the Oasis, finally catching up with all the good stuff one has to in front of this screen that keeps staring at me. We end up taking a detour through the Texas Hills as again cold weather came upon us the last night camping at Garner State Park. My Friend Kristi and her daughter invited us for a couple days, as always excellent company and much photography. 23 degrees the last night spend… the handicap heated shower stall was a great idea… to sleep in. Just in case someone else comes across this peculiar situation. Till morning anyhow when the toilets started flushing!

Always great roads to ride, great food at BJ’s and Lost Maple Cafe, priced cheaper than home cooking. Much photography due to low waters and the many rocks and tree trunks dispersed within the creeks.

It feels good to be warm again here, high of 82 the temp said, short sleeve T shirt and no wool cap is more my speed and Spirit’s also since shedding his winter coat due to defending our campsite from Mr Skunk.

More on the Blog, actually a couple posted Blogs.

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

479926386_Fben3-M.jpg

Resting the old bones in Big Bend! Tx

With the temp hitting 100 yesterday, finally the bones are starting to thaw out from the frost that had penetrated them the past couple weeks. 100 felt pretty decent I must admit to my surprise, “hey sun”… bring it on I kept thinking, one more refill please and I will take yet another one today.

I am all ears from my readers toward unknown destinations when Spring comes. We are done with “tourist traps” even as magnificent some marvels of Nature can be. We are done with “National Parks” having Spirit frowned upon, only maybe riding through them for a few photos. Every corner of this country has a story and so do people we meet. I feel as on a new venture trying to put it all in perspective, blending both into one big basket of thoughts, photos and stories. An old building, an old bridge, old cars abandoned rusting away, a hill and a valley, a canyon or flat land, every square inch and its inhabitants have witnessed times past worth discovering. Exciting times ahead as is also the present now back at “The Oasis”.

You be well always… Ara & Spirit

Ara and Spirit,,

I’m happy that you are back at the Oasis! The place has grown on you, or you on it…whichever, and it is amazing how much there is worthy of your attention around there. I even felt a little like I was returning “home” myself!

It’s good that you plan to avoid the tourist destinations and sites. I have been doing my best at that for at least 30 years and highly recommend it! Not to knock tourists or the places they go, but I much prefer to “discover” it myself. If I find out later that someone else visited there as well, we have a unique tie….not at all like saying I saw Niagara Falls!

I haven’t visited the blog for a while….I like the new front page photo (of you), and got a chuckle out of you on your back and the trees upside down. I am a little curious….is that the first visual joke you have made in your photos on the blog….hum…

It was a joke, right?!

Dave

481776677_ynYeR-L.jpg

Back in the Saddle, Texas

Ah! Texas… cook outs, “tis” the season of them all. Socializing in these desolate vast areas in a busier fashion as even before. We have not even gone spend much time yet in Terlingua as time is spend around here cooking and eating and of course chatting with neighbors. Neighbors seemingly inexistent, but, that is only imagination as they are around and like wild fire the words spreads fast when a cook out will be happening. Everyone has their own kit! It seems as I should now have my own as I have been bailed out a couple times already! Silverware, napkins and cooler ready for the ice and beverages of choice. Water has always been ours… Spirit and I drink out of the same source, a simplicity that follows us.

Plans are unmade, for some reason that will always remain unknown, the destinations near by are pushed away for the next day or so, a funny thing while camping you here.

Cooking outdoor is an art I am learning, witnessing bread made out of Dutch Ovens and for that matter anything else going on those plates.

More of it on the Blog…

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

Ara,

Interesting visitors! Isn’t it surprising the variety of ways people make a living? Looks like fun.

On the topic of seeing it all, many of us hardly see at all. The harder we try to see it all, or buy the “good life,” the more it eludes us.

Ara, you have it right…. savor what you have, have a passion for what you do,….and in the quiet moments, I wish you serenity.

Thanks for sharing!

Dave

Thanks Dave... always. I had really missed this place you know... Amazing space...

484078896_BRaYf-L-1.jpg

400 Chapters, 900 days later… from Texas

Miles? How many States? I don’t know. I don’t keep track. Meaningless truly if the importance is on sitting on that saddle and letting the mile markers go by to only increase the volume of the unseen roads. The above numbers only interest me as marking a symbol of days past within a mind that hopefully has risen to a better stage in this Life of ours. It is time passed, used, they are the words written, spoken to myself, sunrises and sunsets all with their own fingerprint of the day.

We took off in search of wildflowers yesterday. False alarm? Almost… Yet a few on the path to the Hot Springs within Big Bend Park. The ocotillos should be blooming soon and so are many others hopefully. It will be a landscape smorgasbord I am sure.

Just hanging out as they say. Enjoying the warm weather here, Spirit as usual clowning around big time every morning, and often again cooking on the fire, that circle that has become my center of the Universe where I can go sit and ponder about this Journey.

The rest of the story is on the Blog…

Be well, always, and “thank you” for being with us.

Ara & Spirit

http://theoasisofmysoul.com/

486243142_goDtQ-L-2.jpg

More company at the swimming hole… Texas

When someone “new” comes along visiting the area, my first thought is always the “swimming hole”. Camera in hand for the zillionth time I manage to find a few square inches of Art Mother Nature has managed to carve for us and leave behind, for only the time being. It will change I know by next year or maybe a few more ahead of us. We had never witnessed a sunset at the swimming hole as we did this last time a couple days ago. The light is lost very early because of the hills westward, but yet, the plays of the shadows made it for an interesting outing.

We rode around with a Friend from Germany hiking the area and for the first time Spirit had to share his car. He was the perfect gentleman as we both are, I do have to say however that he is happy to get it back for himself! My buddy Spirit… he will never cease to amaze me.

The photos are on the Blog… enjoy and be well.

Ara & Spirit

487789470_JxbLb-XL.jpg

I am still trying to find it… Texas

Reading some of “Dewitt Jones” articles has really opened up some comprehension toward the parallelism of traveling, photography and Life itself.

“Creativity is the ability to see the extraordinary”

It brings along also the notion to the fact there is never only the one answer to our path, as there is not just one great photo or just one greatest route one should travel on.

Intersections are of so many on all those given aspects that surrounds us. Intersections are fun because one can come back and yet have more ways to go. Taking a photo only inches away from the previous one makes it a totally different often image.

We spend a couple days riding by the “landmarks” as I call them, we have been by so many times but never taken the time to stop. We did this time, and yet there will be more.

It is a side of this area that maybe even if you have come and visited you probably never noticed… It took me a long time to do so myself.

Be well, always. Ara & Spirit